So I somehow ended up swapping my original Passport charger with the AT&T BlackBerry charger that came with my mom's Passport. The odd thing is that it charges my Passport twice as fast as my other charger. I'd assume they are interchangeable, but wondering if the charger is OK for a Z10 and Z30 as well?

It is BlackBerry branded and since we all have BB10s we just tend to grab the nearest charger when needed. Just wondering if this could be damaging to the battery? Didn't really think of this until I noticed the charge difference from the other charger. Could have been from updating the OS, but went from a few hours to an hour or less to charge the Passport now. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 08:34 PM
    I've always interchanged my chargers - the only issue I've had is that some (usually older) chargers don't have the oomph to speedily enough charge devices with larger batteries (eg Passport and PlayBook).

The best chargers I've had have been the PlayBook ones.

Note: using a generic in-car charger (off the 12V supply) was incredibly slow for my more recent BlackBerry devices (especially the PlayBook) - getting the special BlackBerry in-car charger has meant that the PlayBook and Passport charge much more quickly (as well as the lady friend's iPhone - I keep a USB->iPhone cable in the car for her as her iPhone seems to need charging three times a day.....)
    04-21-15 09:13 PM
    Some say you shouldn't switch, I always have without a problem. Of course I tend to charge everything with my PlayBook charger cause it's just faster.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 10:14 PM
    All you need is a 2.1A charger

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 11:42 PM
    Never used a BlackBerry charger for my passport as the wall plug is Canada spec and I'm in Australia. I have always charged it with my wife's Nokia charger or through USB port on the microsoft surface wall charger. No problems with my phone getting hot or having poor battery life.

Official PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-22-15 08:51 AM
    Thanks for all of the replies. I use the Battery and System Analyzer app (awesome app and dev, highly recommend!). It used to take a few hours to charge my Passport until I accidentally switched with my mom's new AT&T Passport charger. I noticed it was charging much faster; from a few hours to less than one.

My concern and why I posted about this was my battery health showed at 98% and I charged and the health then went to 97%. Charged again and now at 96%. Wasn't sure if it was really the charger changing the battery health or just possibly recalibration of the app after just updating to 10.3.1.

I'll use the charger again, but if the battery health drops to 95% I will go back to the other charger or just use the Z30 charger coming tomorrow (couldn't resist the sale). Guess we'll see. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 11:55 PM
    The percentage that you're seeing with the battery health is the charge level of the battery, not the overall health of the battery. Check it out when your battery is around 70%, you'll see what I'm talking about.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    04-23-15 05:57 AM
    The percentage that you're seeing with the battery health is the charge level of the battery, not the overall health of the battery. Check it out when your battery is around 70%, you'll see what I'm talking about.

JB

Looked at the box on my Z30 and the charger says 850ma whereas Passport (trying to read charger) looks like1300. Appreciate the explanation on Battery Health %, although will admit I thought battery health was basically how healthy the battery is. Since I use the Passport and Z30 now, I'm not sure if I should just use the Z30 charger even if it takes longer. Problem for me is the battery on both are non-removable.

Still don't understand why the AT&T charger is twice as fast as my original charger that came with my Passport back in September. Either new chargers or the Passport charges much quicker on 10.3.1. That's all I can narrow that down to.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 09:32 AM
    The overall health of the battery is shown by the coloured circle beside the battery health heading. Mine shows green and at 94%, which is the same as my charge level right now. I'm not sure if the colour changes as the battery level drops. The health might coincide with the battery charge level.

Phone chargers interchangeable?-img_20150423_122147.png

giadoanable likes this.
    04-23-15 11:23 AM
    The overall health of the battery is shown by the coloured circle beside the battery health heading. Mine shows green and at 94%, which is the same as my charge level right now. I'm not sure if the colour changes as the battery level drops. The health might coincide with the battery charge level.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_122147.png 
Views:	342 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	349049

I was actually referring to an app from BlackBerry World... BaSA. I was looking for a good battery app and something that compliments the device monitor well. The app has its own Battery Health percent. This shows the health of the battery which was at 98% for months until I started using the other charger. Just received a Z30 from the spring sale today and may just use that charger as it's brand new and I use it for the Passport and the Z devices.

Guess I'll see how much of a difference there is on speed. Really not sure why an official charger would decrease the battery health percent (this percent is the same whether the charge is at 10% or 100%), but with non-removable batteries I try to keep them in good shape. I know everyone has their own ways, but I typically only go to 10% at the lowest and 90% at the highest with an occasional full charge and restart.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 08:12 PM
    From my experience, the faster you charge your phone or tablet (probably any Lith-Ion battery) the faster your battery health decreases, also the battery doesnt last as long during regular use. My PP charger from BlackBerry charges my PP to where I charge it to in about an hour, which is only 80%, from 20%. Basically goes up a percent a minute or so. I've noticed when I put it on my PB charger, it charges extremely slow. Like 15% or so in an hour. My computer charges it a little slower than that (has gone up 9% in the last 40 minutes) Which do I use at home? The computer because it is the slowest.

I just do with my PP what I do with my PB, since they both have non-removable batteries. Dont let it drop below 20%, dont let it go above 80%, except once every 30 charges (though I don't have an app that counts charges or shows battery health in a percentage format like Battery Guru does on my PB, so I just do it about once a month, around the 20th, the time of month I got my PP), when I let it die and then charge it to 100%. I have watched my PB battery health drop a percent every few times I have forgotten to follow this and accidentally left it on for a few hours and overcharged it, so I dont dare deviate from this with my PP cause it cost me a lot more monetarily (thanks again for the PB CrackBerry Forum members, I am paying it forward now and will be for a couple years (providing a home and guidance for a special needs, recovering from drug addiction young adult til she can finish high school)).
    04-23-15 09:37 PM
    From my experience, the faster you charge your phone or tablet (probably any Lith-Ion battery) the faster your battery health decreases, also the battery doesnt last as long during regular use. My PP charger from BlackBerry charges my PP to where I charge it to in about an hour, which is only 80%, from 20%. Basically goes up a percent a minute or so. I've noticed when I put it on my PB charger, it charges extremely slow. Like 15% or so in an hour. My computer charges it a little slower than that (has gone up 9% in the last 40 minutes) Which do I use at home? The computer because it is the slowest.

I just do with my PP what I do with my PB, since they both have non-removable batteries. Dont let it drop below 20%, dont let it go above 80%, except once every 30 charges (though I don't have an app that counts charges or shows battery health in a percentage format like Battery Guru does on my PB, so I just do it about once a month, around the 20th, the time of month I got my PP), when I let it die and then charge it to 100%. I have watched my PB battery health drop a percent every few times I have forgotten to follow this and accidentally left it on for a few hours and overcharged it, so I dont dare deviate from this with my PP cause it cost me a lot more monetarily (thanks again for the PB CrackBerry Forum members, I am paying it forward now and will be for a couple years (providing a home and guidance for a special needs, recovering from drug addiction young adult til she can finish high school)).
    That's basically how I've usually done things. 80/20, although lately I've been lazy and 90/10 ish. I am now just using the charger that came with the Z30. It is definitely slower, but I restarted the Passport and just did a full charge and is now showing 97% health.

I used the 80/20 from knowing that my old Volt electric miles were limited as the gas engine would kick on with the battery showing 0% when there was really 20% left and it shows 100% full when it is in reality only at 80%. The engineers did this to be able to provide the engine warranty from what was discussed on the Volt forum. They could have easily just let it run down to 0 or charge to 100 giving 40% more electric miles, but they didn't.

Same lithium ion technology so am doing a full charge on everything today and going back to 80/20. I'll trust the GM engineers on this one. Also, will be using the charger that just came with the Z30 even though it's a bit slower. One drawback to the non removable batteries if you plan to use the device for a long time.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 01:23 AM
    So I somehow ended up swapping my original Passport charger with the AT&T BlackBerry charger that came with my mom's Passport. The odd thing is that it charges my Passport twice as fast as my other charger. I'd assume they are interchangeable, but wondering if the charger is OK for a Z10 and Z30 as well?

It is BlackBerry branded and since we all have BB10s we just tend to grab the nearest charger when needed. Just wondering if this could be damaging to the battery? Didn't really think of this until I noticed the charge difference from the other charger. Could have been from updating the OS, but went from a few hours to an hour or less to charge the Passport now. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Due to the larger capacity batteries of the z30 and passport only charger cubes with an app rating higher than 1.8amps will charge the battery reasonably fast or you get the message "use the charger that came with your blackberry"!

 Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2708 Rogers Wireless
    04-24-15 02:39 AM