The two things that have me really considering the passport are the battery life and the reception. It is supposed to have a great antenna so I am curious, is it significantly better than a z10? There is no wifi calling now but if they reception was significantly better, that would make up for it. Plus, I have a windows phone with wifi calling in a pinch.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 02:47 PM
    The answer: YES. Why? Its because the Z30, P9883 and Passport have the "paratek antenna"technology. This calibrates signal strength and also improves signal. It will be about a 20-30% improvement (in my case, I live in a rural area). It will also save a small margin of battery life - improvement. The Z10 does not have this improvement though .

Significantly is quite a strong word. Although, it WILL give you better reception in weak coverage areas meaning:
    Less dropped calls and faster downloads, hooray !!!
    10-05-14 06:41 PM
    The answer: YES. Why? Its because the Z30, P9883 and Passport have the "paratek antenna"technology. This calibrates signal strength and also improves signal. It will be about a 20-30% improvement (in my case, I live in a rural area). It will also save a small margin of battery life - improvement. The Z10 does not have this improvement though .

Significantly is quite a strong word. Although, it WILL give you better reception in weak coverage areas meaning:
    Less dropped calls and faster downloads, hooray !!!
    It's a major improvement! At my residence I used to get between 3-5 bars 4G on Rogers. Now I'm getting 2 bars LTE or 5 bars consistently of 4G
    That's only 3 hours into use too sofar!
    10-05-14 08:49 PM
    That could be a reason to buy it for me. What about the z30 will it have similar reception?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:10 PM
    That could be a reason to buy it for me. What about the z30 will it have similar reception?

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 has much improved reception over the Z10. However you have to realize that the paratek technology only really shines in low signal conditions. As in, it may seem like it's just as good or bad as any other phone when you have 4 or 5 bars, but the real advantage is that (1) it increases battery life by reducing RF power when data/voice transfer is not occurring and the signal is low, and (2) it tunes the antenna pair and increases RF power to lock on to even weak signals when it does need to transmit in low signal environments.

So for that, I found the Z30 to be vastly superior to the Z10. The Passport of course inherits those benefits plus whatever they have further developed, and the large external frame that supposedly serves as part of the antenna.

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    10-05-14 09:22 PM
    The Z30 has much improved reception over the Z10. However you have to realize that the paratek technology only really shines in low signal conditions. As in, it may seem like it's just as good or bad as any other phone when you have 4 or 5 bars, but the real advantage is that (1) it increases battery life by reducing RF power when data/voice transfer is not occurring and the signal is low, and (2) it tunes the antenna pair and increases RF power to lock on to even weak signals when it does need to transmit in low signal environments.

So for that, I found the Z30 to be vastly superior to the Z10. The Passport of course inherits those benefits plus whatever they have further developed, and the large external frame that supposedly serves as part of the antenna.

Posted via CB10
    Thorough explanation much appreciated

I can't vouch for the Z30, though I can say I've heard great things about its antennae!

The passport however, I must say it's amazing receptionwise! Getting a strong signal throughout this entire building, including the elevator shaft where previously I'd cut out due to the old concrete design! :P

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-06-14 12:32 AM
    I am on T-Mobile and I travel a lot. I have great LTE signal where I live but I often have low signal where I drive. So this could be great.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 01:28 PM
    The thing I am waiting to see when my PP arrives is how it copes with low or no signal. My Z10 uses so much more battery when it is struggling to find the network

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 01:36 PM
    The thing I am waiting to see when my PP arrives is how it copes with low or no signal. My Z10 uses so much more battery when it is struggling to find the network

Posted via CB10
    I've found it handles it quite well here! The reception just annihilates the Z10 too!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-07-14 03:12 PM