Noticed that after a couple of days of heavy use the back of the passport (near the BlackBerry logo), starting to show signs of wear... I guess the oil from the fingers is eating way at the rubberized case (or whatever it is made of). At the moment it is like a sheen that is difficult to notice unless you are looking at an angle but I know that overtime that part will most likely start to show further wear.

Now I know for people that are planning to put the passport in a case this will not be an issue but I like to go naked on my phones, so this can become an issue, unless the back is cheaply / easily replaceable.

There was a comprehensive review on here that mentioned it passively. Because of the material that is used I think it's not a defective unit but in general the qualities of the material...

Anybody noticing the same on their unit yet? Thoughts on what to do about it?

Thanks
    09-30-14 03:47 PM
    Excuse the typos / grammar as I am on the mobile now.
    09-30-14 03:48 PM
    I don't think it's actually wear. I had the same after a few days. When I was wiping down my screen with a screen cleaner, I wiped the back as well. Looks new again. I think the back material just shows marks too easily.
    09-30-14 03:53 PM
    Hmmmm, I will give a screen cleaner try. Didn't work with just wiping it down with the glasses shammy. What about a minimalist protection for the back? That OEM plastic case still seems bulky.
    09-30-14 03:57 PM
    I am also one of those people that thought this was a fugly POS when I first saw it in June. After reading the reviews and watching the presentation, ordered it day 1... hope they get more of them out there...
    09-30-14 03:59 PM
    I have the dame issue and it is actually just the oil of your fingers getting stuck in all these pores, making it appear darker... we could and should be able to make the whole back look darker.... what do you guys think?

Btw: I had the same frustration with my Lenovo t440s

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 and z30
    09-30-14 04:01 PM
    My worry is more that it scratches super easily and those aren't coming out. Don't think I'll be using it without a case.
    09-30-14 04:01 PM
    They should offer the full back replacement for a reasonable cost. Maybe even different colors... wishful thinking on my part I bet.
    09-30-14 04:07 PM
    Yup, same thing I mentioned in my review. It hasn't gotten any worse, so I believe it's just the top layer of the finish wearing off, just that the rest of the back is going to take longer to wear off as it's not touched as often.
    09-30-14 04:07 PM
    Actually, the OEM hard case isn't that bulky at all. As the sides are exposed, I feel very little difference between the device with case and without. And for the way I hold it, it gives me a better grip than with no case. And the corners are very slightly raised so that you can set it face down without the screen contacting the desk (etc.). This allows you to use the advanced interactions.
    09-30-14 04:08 PM
    They should offer the full back replacement for a reasonable cost. Maybe even different colors... wishful thinking on my part I bet.
    That would actually be incredibly hard given how the device is built. The back isn't simply meant to pop off.
    Pcmx likes this.
    09-30-14 04:10 PM
    Actually, the OEM hard case isn't that bulky at all. As the sides are exposed, I feel very little difference between the device with case and without. And for the way I hold it, it gives me a better grip than with no case. And the corners are very slightly raised so that you can set it face down without the screen contacting the desk (etc.). This allows you to use the advanced interactions.

What he said.
    09-30-14 04:11 PM
    No luck I would run into somebody using it since they haven't even released it yet. I may try the case sight unseen.

Yeah bla1ze, I think it may have been your review.

Thanks
    09-30-14 04:11 PM
    What about a piece of vinyl as a back protector ( like a screen protector).

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:18 PM
    What about a piece of vinyl as a back protector ( like a screen protector).

Posted via CB10
    I expect we'll start seeing carbon or patterned skins or clear protection of some sort coming out soon. Keep your eye on the CB store.
    09-30-14 04:25 PM
    Is the back like the PlayBook?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:28 PM
    After a few hours of use I noticed the exact thing Bla1ze mentioned in his review. I don't think it is actually wear, I think it is the oil from your skin. Either it absorbs a little or just shows up really easy.
    09-30-14 04:29 PM
    Is the back like the PlayBook?

Posted via CB10
    Close enough, yes.
    09-30-14 05:07 PM
    I am tempted to peal the protective film off the backing of phone but I have yet to do it hahaha. It is pealing itself though. On the z30 I never took off the film off the screen nor have I on the passport yet..
    09-30-14 05:17 PM
    I took the time to clean it properly yesterday and it is definitely just the oil from your fingers

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 02:59 AM
    not around the blackberry icon. That forms a kind of 'halo' around there which doesn't wipe clean on mine. Only noticeable in certain lights, but definetly there.

In other news, who cares
    jonskids likes this.
    10-01-14 03:05 AM
    I find it hard to believe they did not catch this in product testing, even harder to believe they decided not to fix it. I returned mine because of the issue but now find out its on every phone :S

Posted via CB10
    Warlack likes this.
    10-01-14 06:46 AM
    In case anyone wants to see it detailed, here's some pics. Focus on the ring around the logo.

When it's dirty:

Passport's back material-oily.jpg

When it's being cleaned, the liquid is darker in that area. The whole back is damp at this point but you can see it mostly in the center:

Passport's back material-wet.jpg

Finally, when it's all cleaned up and dry, it's barely noticeable.

Passport's back material-dry.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:44 AM
    Guys just use the original leather case with adhesive backing. The adhesive actually cleans it every time you peel it off and the cycle last for around 2000 peels.. so that's like 5 years.. everytime I go out formally.. I peel it off and it looks brand new and people are literally awestruck at the quality..

We compared it to the iPhone 6 and 6+ and the biggest difference was the uniform feel on the Passport.. it also feels as if the Passport conforms to the shape of our fingers whereas the iPhone feels extremely rigid which makes it unsteady to hold.. the Passport sort of melts into the hands..

Overall I think the combination with the original leather case makes it completely versatile to use in all conditions.
    10-06-14 04:45 AM
    In case anyone wants to see it detailed, here's some pics. Focus on the ring around the logo.

When it's dirty:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oily.JPG 
Views:	1052 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	303509

When it's being cleaned, the liquid is darker in that area. The whole back is damp at this point but you can see it mostly in the center:

Name:	Wet.JPG 
Views:	1046 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	303510

Finally, when it's all cleaned up and dry, it's barely noticeable.

Name:	Dry.JPG 
Views:	1045 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	303511

Posted via CB10
    Got the same strange thing
    10-06-14 05:01 AM
47 12