Hi All,

I am this > < close to asking my other half for a Passport for Xmas, and have one question, well have loads but this is the big one for now lol, I love the virtual keyboard on my Z30 and especially the multiple word prediction selection and swype up to select (even found myself trying to swype up on my Moto X )

From screenshots the Passport only appears to offer 3 words in the prediction (ala Swiftkey on Android) is this the case? If so how good is it with its predictions? I am an old school previous Palm Pre (all 1 -3 versions lol) user and loved it though the word correction was err well pants and I mean UK underwear not trousers pants

Any Z30/Z10 > Passport users out there able to provide a fair and objective opinion on this? Unfortunately no stores around where I live in the UK stock the PP so I can't eyeball it for myself.

As always any help appreciated!

Barry
    12-13-14 06:06 AM
    I had the Z30 and now the PP, since about 2 months.
    I have a gutt feeling that the quality of the predictions/corrections was a TAD better on the Z, but also think this might be due to the longer learning period that the Z was given (~6 months), compared to the PP (2 months).
    Yes the PP offers 3 words in the prediction only.THis is due to the nature of the touch keyboard, which allows you to flick predicted words in 3 KB areas, left, right and middle. More than 3 flicking areas would become increasingly cumbersome to use imho.
    Overall, I think the correction/prediction package of the PP is better, and here is why: I found myself not always using the prediction on the Z, as it became distracting to always having to scan the keyboard for the right prediction. Eventually it slowed down my typing flow, and I only used it when I wasn't sure about correct spelling, or when the right word happened to appear right where I was looking at.
    On the other hand, the PP presents word suggestions always in the same position(s), which makes them easier for me to find, and therefore less interruptive, so I use them more often.
    I know there was a setting for the Z which would have allowed to present the predictions above the KB, rather than above single keys, however I never could familiarize with that on the Z, as I couldn't really type on glass without looking at the respective key's position, in order to at least try to hit the right one. This is not so much needed on the PP.
    In combination with the less error prone typing, and with the smoother text editing features of the PP, I find the typing experience more convincing on the PP.

Of course this is just my very personal assessment, and if you are one of these people who became extremely good & fast in typing on a BB10 touchscreen (I've always been a terrible touchscreen typist), you might need some time to getting used to when going PP. YOu will probably not be as fast in the beginning, but I think you will be able to catch up soon.
    j21jam6, Sallem, Avenzuno and 1 others like this.
    12-13-14 07:08 AM
    Definitely not a one hand typing experience like my Z30 or 10. It's been a couple of days, but finding it a bit of a challenging typing on this. I really like the width of the device from a document viewing perspective.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1133 /Telus
    barryb20 likes this.
    12-13-14 07:10 AM
    P.S. I would say in 8 out of 10 cases, one of the three predicted words is the one I'm actually looking for, so I think this is rather good, and I expect it to become even better over time, with more training & learning of the prediction engine.
    12-13-14 07:12 AM
    Thanks guys,

I am pretty good with the virtual keyboard, but I'm not a heavy / long mail creator also I very rarely use one hand with my phones, only to perhaps delete mails or scan through mails, always been a two handed typer, even on my old work BBerry and my Palm Pre's, you could use them one handed but the experience was sub optimal.

Think I am one step closer

Barry
    12-13-14 08:08 AM
    That was my concern too but now I feel strange using the Z30. The Passport is pretty good for typing, period. It's the best of both worlds. I get the physical feedback of a keyboard and can still swipe up words. The predictions come in handy and are usually suitable. After all, it's the same engine. You don't get as many, but with increased accuracy due to the physical keys, I don't need any more than 3
    barryb20 likes this.
    12-13-14 09:21 AM
    Came from the Z30
    The word predictions on the Passport get more and more accurate the more you use it. Obviously, you don't have as many options in column view as you have in on letter view. Knowing what we know now, using the former option would be preferred in preparation for using the passport. In my case, the predictions have become fairly accurate over the course of a week. The word prediction is different, less options, but it's just as accurate and just as useful. I agree with the second post (I think) in this thread in every regard. He's on point in his assessment.

Posted two-handed via Passport
    barryb20 likes this.
    12-13-14 09:57 AM
    I came from the Z30 and find that I use the predictive text / swipe more on the Passport. I also really like the swipe down to get at the numerics.

I still use a Q10 on occasion but forget that it's keyboard is not capacitive.

Posted via CB10
    barryb20 likes this.
    12-13-14 10:07 AM
    I use both still. I find predicted words pretty good on the Passport but not as much choice. I find I use it less because my typing is more accurate than on Z30. No extra periods to correct. But one handed the z30 is better. And I do use predicted words, especially when the device is mounted on the windshield of my car and I almost always get the words I want. I might have to type an extra key on occasion. My Passport definitely wins when it comes to typing.

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    Avenzuno and barryb20 like this.
    12-13-14 11:46 AM
    I make very few typing mistakes with it so the word prediction mostly goes unused for me. Kinda like on an old school BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.1151
    barryb20 likes this.
    12-13-14 11:49 AM
    One thing of note is that it is actually easier to flick a word. More room, less overlap and no flicking the wrong word.

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    12-13-14 11:58 AM
    Yes typing becomes more accurate on the PKB on Passport than my Z30. The need to flick is less.

Also the passport virtual assistant voice to text feature is excellent compared to the 30 so you rarely need to type if you don't want to .This post was dictated entirely with virtual assistant. I challenge anyone to type this faster and I can speak it .... LOL!

This Passport takes me places!
    barryb20 likes this.
    12-13-14 12:56 PM
    Lucky other half! Wish mine was as generous!!

Having bought myself a Passport in October, I've now convinced my other half to move from her Curve 9320 and take over my Z30. She loves the predictive text. So did I, while I had it, but, in common with other posters here, I've noted that the accuracy of the prediction does improve with the Passport over use. I still think the Z30 might have been a bit better, but that will presumably change over time; when all is said and done, surely it's the operating system that's responsible for the predictive text, and not the phone itself.

However, for me there are two big advantages to the Passport system/keyboard. First, in an attempt to swipe up on the Z30, I often found myself hitting a letter key instead, so I'd have to backspace over that and then try the swipe again. My fingers are chunkier than many, and I sometimes had to make two or three tries before I got the swipe action exactly right. And the second advantage of the PP is that, at least on the current 10.3.0 system, you can just tap the suggested word instead of swiping it, and that's tremendous. Now, I don't know whether that will change on the Z30 when 10.3.1 is released for it, but it's a biggie for me.

So get a Passport for the family. You may end up keeping it!
    12-14-14 11:35 AM