Iam thinking about getting a passport or priv.
    I realise that passport has snapdragon 801 and priv has 808.
    Quite obviously priv is faster. But the way BlackBerry 10 is optimised I was shocked how well my Z30 stood up to the S6 edge plus my friend has when it comes to native BlackBerry apps. It was faster than s6 in quite a lot of native apps.

Given this do you think passport has a chance standing up against priv even with more inferior specs.

Also in what ways is the passport better than priv.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 07:49 PM
    i've an idea: let's compare apples and oranges!
    ChrisLeNeve likes this.
    01-31-17 08:36 PM
    Longevity : Priv.
    Pure BB10 OS Experience : Passport

via BlackBerry P A S S P O R T | Original Gangster
    Tim-ANC and 85_305 like this.
    01-31-17 10:03 PM
    I was about to start a new thread but this one is a good place for my thoughts.

OP, I have always had a BlackBerry and an android or iPhone until the Priv came out. I decided I could finally get everything I needed (hub, keyboard, a few essential android apps) in one device. I canceled my extra line (my family had six lines, now 5).

The Priv seemed a great phone. It is a great phone. But like all android phones it gets extremely slow at times. A few months ago, several carriers, including AT&T, pushed an update that literally rendered the Priv unusable for months. I use my phone for work and, disgusted, drove to Best Buy and paid over 800 bucks for an S7 Edge. Like the Priv, it has a big screen, curved screen, and seemingly faster processor than the Passport. It also has HD Voice, just like the Priv. And, like the Priv, it is more prone to injury than a Passport. The curved screen seems like a great idea, unless you mind holding your phone in a flat palm, because if you grip it like G-d intended us to hold things, more than one finger touches the edge. The S7 Edge is also made of glass. Yeah, a glass phone. The back has broken three times now so I'm pretty good at replacing it. All three times in an otterbox defender case--a mystery.

And just like the Priv, the S7 Edge gets so slow sometimes it is unusable. Oddly, the slower Priv does better at speeding up again. And no, I don't use a lot of apps. I have BlackBerry services on both phones. Both phones are maddening.

So, yesterday, I charged up my old Passport (which has never, ever broken or slowed down, or let me down in any way), and called AT&T to announce to the incredulous rep tat I'm swapping back to my Passport. And you know what? It is just as buttery smooth as the day I got it. You can truly multitask. It doesn't slow down. I can see it in direct sunlight. I can type messages without looking like an ***** from typos. I get a strong signal everywhere.

The Passport was made for professionals. Consumers were a complete afterthought. It is truly a tool, not a toy. I'm not switching again until a truly stunning new phone is revealed. And, I don't mean to be immodest, but I can get any phone I want, any day of the week.

There is a certain "fanboy" and myopia that comes out in all of us when we buy devices. I am 50 years old and I don't give a damn what phone anyone uses, and am immune to any flak over using BlackBerry phones. I'm over it, and I'm here to tell you that for pure email, text, call, Blackberry Messenger, and calendaring, the Passport is IT.

But, if you really need android phones, or Android apps, then you need a Priv. I assume you want a keyboard. If so, I suggest either getting a really cheap Priv or holding out for a Mercury. If you don't, get a Passport SE and you will not look back until the thing just doesn't work anymore. I have an OG Passport and am hoping for another flash sale of an SE.

My signature lies. I am on a Passport.

Oh I forgot. How is Passport better? It is a tank. It has real multi tasking. It doesn't bog down. It has superior signal strength. It doesn't need task killers or hibernate apps or Doze or any other mods to get great battery life. It just works. The keyboard is a real keyboard. Devices search is fast. It is a conversation starter. I have never seen another one in a live person's hands (I live in an area of about 200000 people and travel to metro areas of 1 million plus regularly). The browser is awesome. The screen is good in full sun. The sound clarity is excellent for Al purposes.

How does it suck? No fast charging. No tap to wake. No Google now. No voice typing. No full virtual keyboard. Few apps. No widgets (if you're into that kind of thing). And probably no new updates.

The Priv feels a little cheap. It has a tendency for the screen to click because it doesn't fit just right against the bottom part of the phone. You can't see it in full daylight. It gets slow. The battery is inadequate for heavy users. Device search is slow.

But the Priv has a billion apps available, awesome sound quality, decent reception, amazes your friends, and has fast and wireless charging (if you have the right variant). If you don't want to use devices search from the keyboard, every freakin key on the keyboard can be assigned a function of your choice and you can edit your word lists. Those last two features are revolutionary.

I left the ONE typo in this opus so you'd see just how accurate the Passport keyboard is. 99.9 % generally.
    Last edited by CharlieV; 01-31-17 at 10:47 PM.
    01-31-17 10:16 PM

OP, I have always had a BlackBerry and an android or iPhone until the Priv came out. I decided I could finally get everything I needed (hub, keyboard, a few essential android apps) in one device. I canceled my extra line (my family had six lines, now 5).

The Priv seemed a great phone. It is a great phone. But like all android phones it gets extremely slow at times. A few months ago, several carriers, including AT&T, pushed an update that literally rendered the Priv unusable for months. I use my phone for work and, disgusted, drove to Best Buy and paid over 800 bucks for an S7 Edge. Like the Priv, it has a big screen, curved screen, and seemingly faster processor than the Passport. It also has HD Voice, just like the Priv. And, like the Priv, it is more prone to injury than a Passport. The curved screen seems like a great idea, unless you mind holding your phone in a flat palm, because if you grip it like G-d intended us to hold things, more than one finger touches the edge. The S7 Edge is also made of glass. Yeah, a glass phone. The back has broken three times now so I'm pretty good at replacing it. All three times in an otterbox defender case--a mystery.

And just like the Priv, the S7 Edge gets so slow sometimes it is unusable. Oddly, the slower Priv does better at speeding up again. And no, I don't use a lot of apps. I have BlackBerry services on both phones. Both phones are maddening.

So, yesterday, I charged up my old Passport (which has never, ever broken or slowed down, or let me down in any way), and called AT&T to announce to the incredulous rep tat I'm swapping back to my Passport. And you know what? It is just as buttery smooth as the day I got it. You can truly multitask. It doesn't slow down. I can see it in direct sunlight. I can type messages without looking like an ***** from typos. I get a strong signal everywhere.

The Passport was made for professionals. Consumers were a complete afterthought. It is truly a tool, not a toy. I'm not switching again until a truly stunning new phone is revealed. And, I don't mean to be immodest, but I can get any phone I want, any day of the week.

There is a certain "fanboy" and myopia that comes out in all of us when we buy devices. I am 50 years old and I don't give a damn what phone anyone uses, and am immune to any flak over using BlackBerry phones. I'm over it, and I'm here to tell you that for pure email, text, call, Blackberry Messenger, and calendaring, the Passport is IT.

But, if you really need android phones, or Android apps, then you need a Priv. I assume you want a keyboard. If so, I suggest either getting a really cheap Priv or holding out for a Mercury. If you don't, get a Passport SE and you will not look back until the thing just doesn't work anymore. I have an OG Passport and am hoping for another flash sale of an SE.

Oh I forgot. How is Passport better? It is a tank. It has real multi tasking. It doesn't bog down. It has superior signal strength. It doesn't need task killers or hibernate apps or Doze or any other mods to get great battery life. It just works. The keyboard is a real keyboard. Devices search is fast. It is a conversation starter. I have never seen another one in a live person's hands (I live in an area of about 200000 people and travel to metro areas of 1 million plus regularly). The browser is awesome. The screen is good in full sun. The sound clarity is excellent for Al purposes.

How does it suck? No fast charging. No tap to wake. No Google now. No voice typing. No full virtual keyboard. Few apps. No widgets (if you're into that kind of thing). And probably no new updates.

The Priv feels a little cheap. It has a tendency for the screen to click because it doesn't fit just right against the bottom part of the phone. You can't see it in full daylight. It gets slow. The battery is inadequate for heavy users. Device search is slow.

But the Priv has a billion apps available, awesome sound quality, decent reception, amazes your friends, and has fast and wireless charging (if you have the right variant). If you don't want to use devices search from the keyboard, every freakin key on the keyboard can be assigned a function of your choice and you can edit your word lists. Those last two features are revolutionary.

I left the ONE typo in this opus so you'd see just how accurate the Passport keyboard is. 99.9 % generally.
    That was a good review. Glad to own a Passport.

via BlackBerry P A S S P O R T | Original Gangster
    01-31-17 11:03 PM
    "No voice typing" on the Passport? How is this different than voice dictation, which I find to work very well in BlackBerry 10, both on my Passport and my wife's Classic? Personally, I find this feature to be a great tool that increases the Passport's one-handed usefulness.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    01-31-17 11:31 PM

The best one Sir to put up, Glad to be the owner of Passport.

If you using bbm pin:2BE85884
    Love to be friends with BB10 users specially Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 11:59 PM
    if you want pure bb10 and securty phone : passport
    if you want to get more app and much more than bb10 : prive

I think bb10 simple and secure than android
    but this is on your hand

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2206
    02-01-17 12:08 AM
    PRIV
    02-01-17 12:13 AM
    Passport :-

BB10
    Best Experience of BB10 you can get in Passport.
    Excellent Battery Life
    Multitasking
    Productive
    Peak Flow
    The 'HUB'
    Excellent Keyboard
    Can install Colbalt apps from Google Play store.

Priv :-

Andorid.
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 01:32 AM

Reading your honest review and how it is supposed to perform in real a true tool and not a toy, I am really impressed with your feedback and 100% I agree with all you said!!! Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 01:42 AM
    Hmm. I think there's no clear winner if you would compare them. BB10 has become so... "barren" compared to Android..

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 02:04 AM
    Hmm. I think there's no clear winner if you would compare them. BB10 has become so... "barren" compared to Android..

Posted via CB10
    Apps are the real winner and clearly Android have tons of apps, like I said before,

Android : Apps
    BB10 : Breed of its own with Limited Apps but Powerful

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 08:59 AM
    better battery life on Passport,better phisical keyboard, and Passport is faster. ..Bigger screen on Priv and wireless charging. Better app support for Priv. If you are demanding user of smart phone (using smart options), than i suggest you Priv.
    02-01-17 10:13 AM
    If you're on Jio (which you've said you are), don't get a BB10 phone. The network bands aren't supported, you need a phone with TD-LTE to get it to work 100% of the time.

That said, if you want a BlackBerry without having to switch networks, get a Priv STV100-3.
    02-01-17 10:40 AM
    a true tool and not a toy
    Posted via CB10

It is truly a tool, not a toy.
    Sigh.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    02-01-17 10:53 AM
    One thing that has always been important to me, which in part lead me to a Blackberry loyalist, is build quality. While you may have the ability to purchase whatever phone you may like, I do not. The purchase of a phone to me is a major purchase. As such, when I buy a phone I want to feel as though it is worthy of the money spent to purchase it. When I held my old 9000, 9700, 9900, etc it felt premium to me. I felt like a solid piece of technology. When the BB10 devices came out I was relieved to see that the build quality continued. Especially with the Passport and the Classic. They are both solid.

When the Priv was released I was excited to get it, despite the fact that it had Android. one of the first things that I noticed was how the phone creaked. It was annoying how many sounds came from that phone. Additionally, I didn't feel comfortable with the Priv. I constantly was aware of the phone. As if in an effort to keep from damaging it. I never felt that way with the Passport or Classic. With either of those I felt that I would have to put effort into harming them, as opposed to putting effort into not hurting the Priv.

The fatal flaw with the Priv though was the fact that it runs on Android. Any and every Android phone that I have ever had suffered in the log term. Not matter what measures I used they always bogged down and failed to work as well as the did in the beginning. At first they flew. Fast. And I was capable of having all the apps I wanted. I could finally access my bank on an app instead of a shortcut to their website. I could sling angry birds at pigs! all that stuff. But what I encountered was that I was no different than a kid at Christmas. I had gotten that new toy which I was excited about and played with for a little while. Then the novelty wore off and I longed to play with my old, tried and trusted, toy. I went back to the Passport.What I found in going back was that the Passport functioned flawlessly (at least for me). Does it have limitations? Absolutely. But, what it does it does extremely well. It doesn't fail or bog down. I no longer sling birds across my phones screen. That's okay, it was just a useless diversion anyways. I returned to being productive. I returned to being un-annoyed when using my phone.
    02-01-17 01:53 PM
    Apps are the real winner and clearly Android have tons of apps, like I said before,

Android : Apps
    BB10 : Breed of its own with Limited Apps but Powerful

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but some of the required apps are more of a personal preference than a requirement. I use both phones but can easily use mobile sites versus apps for some stuff.

Passport especially the SE is easily a better product in terms of durability/ build quality and smoothness/efficiency to date and if apps were not a factor would be an easy choice.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 02:20 PM
    Could not have said it better.

Yep. A PassPort.
    02-01-17 04:58 PM
    Short ?
    You want a PKB that kills anything seen - as of date ? - on the market : get a passport LE and deal with apps, if you can afford it. Bonus : BB10 (sorely missed here).
    You want the BB experience savior under Android : go Priv (but don't expect to type anywhere else than glass)

But I'd be tempted to suggest patience; only a few weeks until the "Mercury" (or whatever will be its name) that might be the real Passport replacement, sounds promising.
    02-01-17 05:49 PM
    Iam thinking about getting a passport or priv.
    I realise that passport has snapdragon 801 and priv has 808.
    Quite obviously priv is faster. But the way BlackBerry 10 is optimised I was shocked how well my Z30 stood up to the S6 edge plus my friend has when it comes to native BlackBerry apps. It was faster than s6 in quite a lot of native apps.

Given this do you think passport has a chance standing up against priv even with more inferior specs.

Also in what ways is the passport better than priv.

Posted via CB10
    Good question, let's start with the strong points of each Phone.

Passport:

Large screen
    Great key board
    Good sound for music or spk phone
    Large battery
    Very secure OS
    Can side load most apps. Will require more work.

Priv:
    Nice form factor
    Runs android
    Runs all apps
    Has a keyboard but small
    Battery is ok, but will not last as long as PP
    Screen is more standard to run games

Your choice will depend on what you will be using the phone for, calls-emails-reading, with some app usage. The Passport hands down.
    More tilt to games and apps, the priv hands down.

Hope it helps
    02-01-17 05:53 PM
    "No voice typing" on the Passport? How is this different than voice dictation, which I find to work very well in BlackBerry 10, both on my Passport and my wife's Classic? Personally, I find this feature to be a great tool that increases the Passport's one-handed usefulness.

Posted via CB10
    You're right. I forgot about it and when I read your post I was happier than a pig in ****.
    02-01-17 09:37 PM
    Sigh.
    Yes but I saw that in a review too.

I'm a lawyer. We plagiarize for a living (though usually with attribution, I admit--I deny everything else!).
    02-01-17 09:39 PM
    Sigh.
    You can't deni the fact, BB10 is still better and fast then Blackdroid, few of my mates using Priv complains being slow and lag where my passport still fast after 2nd half year old

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 01:03 AM
    I say passport but my dilemma is that OS 10 doe's not support WhatsApp. For my business I have a few WhatsApp groups and I can not tell staff to find a new messaging system because my phone all of a sudden does not support WhatsApp. So I have gone over to Priv.
    Now I have found out that Blackberry Desktop does not work so how do I back up? Device switch only partially works as I have 500 contacts and it only transferred 50.

PAIN IN THE BUTT
    02-02-17 05:08 AM
40 12