How come I can't do this with the Passport?

How To Activate An LTE Nexus 7 On Verizon Wireless

I know a few have said they tried. But taking an activated SIM and sticking it in a Nexus 7, before it was approved worked.

Why does this not work for just data on the passport?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 08:52 PM
    I think this doesn't work because a Passport is supposed to be a phone--even in Verizon's non-CDMA finding system. Just a guess.

I guess if someone really had the time on their hands and is willing to take on Goliath, they could get try finding out from Verizon's legal department as to why this band 13 device is not being activated. I have read about a guy who did just that, but with a Nexus 7. In the end, he was able to get it activated.
    07-25-15 10:05 PM
    I mean that could be... But what is the technical reason that the data won't work? What magical software thingy alerts the Verizon gods that you can't use the Passport's data on band 13. I am a Software developer... So, I want to understand the why, so that I can figure out how to have a mini passport tablet on Verizon!

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 12:56 PM
    I mean that could be... But what is the technical reason that the data won't work? What magical software thingy alerts the Verizon gods that you can't use the Passport's data on band 13. I am a Software developer... So, I want to understand the why, so that I can figure out how to have a mini passport tablet on Verizon!

Posted via CB10
    It has nothing to do with the data, it's the IMEI. Verizon only allows devices with whitelisted IMEI to connect to their network.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 12:58 PM
    The reason I switched to AT&T and got an unlocked passport. Big red machine has pretty much given up on BlackBerry.

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339
    07-26-15 03:41 PM
    It has nothing to do with the data, it's the IMEI. Verizon only allows devices with whitelisted IMEI to connect to their network.
    Right--that answers why it can't be activated as a phone. But as the OP is wondering, why is it that a Nexus 7--when its IMEI was not in Verizon's system--could have been activated rather 'easily' using the dummy IMEI trick, but the Passport can't be activated as a tablet.

It's a difficult question to answer for outsiders, especially given how the Passport is in its own class with b4 and b13 but no CDMA bands whatsoever. Like I said, I have a feeling it's because of the missing CDMA bands. Verizon's system must be detecting this phone as a phone (based perhaps on some IMEI-based identifier) but after not finding it in the whitelist, is rejecting it like just any other regulation non-Verizon phone.

Do you know if this dummy trick has actually been tried with the Passport? I don't remember at this point whether the dummy IMEI trick was tried (and failed.) I just remember the attempts to activate as a tablet did not work.
    07-26-15 03:43 PM
    I would buy one if someone could get it working as a simple tablet. However, if voLTE was reported to work I would buy a red Passport tonight!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 07:27 PM