Plenty of blue-screen action to come! An iPad or Macbook Air eats any PC or Surface for breakfast.

Posted via CB10
    Lol... funny. Blue screens have not been common for a while now though

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 03:05 PM
    Lol... funny. Blue screens have no been common for a while now though

Posted via CB10
    The only time I get blue screens, other than Windows ME back in the day lol, is when I'm trying to push my desktop to new overclocks.
    05-05-15 03:11 PM
    7-8", windows and android a bonus, full computing power not necessary, stylus a bonus.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 03:47 PM
    Samsung Tab S 8.4. Thinner/lighter than a Playbook and fantastic performance. Wonderful for running Blend, too.

Not nuts about KitKat and the Lollipop update hasn't been issued for me yet.
    05-05-15 03:58 PM
    7-8", windows and android a bonus, full computing power not necessary, stylus a bonus.

Posted via CB10
    My friends call me the tablet PC guy because I'm always researching this stuff; I feel qualified for this topic .

Ok, to be honest, 7-8 inches for me was too small to comfortably write on with a stylus. Depends on how much writing, but for college notes it was annoying and not enough writable area. With that said, if active stylus in that size is what you want, my two recommendations are the Asus Vivotab Note 8 (Wacom with Atom Z3740) and the Toshiba Encore 2 Write (Wacom ES with Atom Z3735F). I personally owned the Vivotab and my buddy owns the Encore 2. Stylus is great on both, was surprised with the Wacom ES because that's newer tech targeted for cheaper devices. Not really fully working builds of Android-x86 for either of those exist, so no dual booting.

If you want an Android tablet only in 7-8 with stylus, look at Note series. I've never used one, but people seem to like them. Although I see no point because Android OneNote is so much worse than desktop counterpart.

Foregoing the stylus, this is where your options open up. People don't realize there are some pretty awesome tablets coming out of China that are running all the same specs as their overpriced comparable brand-name counterparts, but for WAY less. Most of the models come in a dual boot flavor with both full Windows and stock Android. A lot of these tablets come from the same factories as the big boys. We're talking 7-8" with latest Atom's for $99 or Core-M ones for considerably cheaper than their name brand brethren. Check out TechTablets.com (reviewer specifically reviewing these China tablets) and the brands Teclast, Pipo, Vido, Onda, and Cube. I've used a few of them, and was very impressed.

If you go the 10" route, which I feel is perfect balance of portability and size for note taking, this opens the door to some awesome past generation hardware. You'll find Haswell or Ivy-Bridge tablets (full computing power) with Wacom/n-Trig styluses and perfectly working builds of Android-x86 and Windows for dual boot for less than newer generation 7-8" or even 10" tablets that blow them out of the water in terms of performance. Downside will be less battery life and fan noise.

It's all trade-off. The more specific you get, the more it narrows down the options.
    05-05-15 04:21 PM
    IPad or Fire.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 04:31 PM
    nvidia shield tablet is pretty good comes with a stylus.
    05-05-15 04:34 PM
    Just as a truck is only for hauling stuff, a sports car only for racing, and BlackBerry only for businessmen. To call hybrids like Surface or the Toshiba Protege Z10t (what I own) or other tablets as rubbish is narrow minded. In school, I am a million times more productive in class with the medical anatomy lecture notes PowerPoint imported into OneNote with audio recording and syncing up to specific moments when I circle or color in a specific glandular region or capillary bed. Everyone else with their laptops are clicking away like woodpeckers rewriting everything the teacher says, not even looking up, and surely not absorbing ****. Productive? Hardly.

It completely depends on use case. There are some fantastic hybrids out there with more productivity and options built in than a regular laptop could ever provide. Again, use case.
    Totally agree that it depends on use case.

I know someone who uses the surface just for the one note app, which he draws, writes with his hand and adds colors.
    At least your also audio recording.

The price for that for surface is around 400$?

I am not sure about your tablet but the surface is way to heavy and expensive for just doing the actions mentioned above, I could audio record with my Pearl 9105, I can draw in any piece of paper and take pictures, actually any current phone has apps for drawing.

Add 500$ and with a laptop you can have about 14" screen, 4 GB video, i7 5th generation processor, 8 GB RAM and a keyboard, there are also touch displays. That is great power money can buy.

I personally have many virtual machines for different kinds of works, web servers for testing, etc. I also can play Battlefield 4 with it. That game wouldn't run in those hybrids.

Back in 2011 I tried to incorporate my playbook at work and it was good while I was using the Pearl 9105, after that there was nothing I couldn't do with my z10 neither my Passport. But that is just useful when you are on the go because for working with documents, spreadsheet, etc I use my 26" display with my pc.

I had many issues editing documents in BlackBerry that later on office were wrong because of macros or other presentation stuff.

My last recommendation if all you want to do could be done with your phone them don't waste much more money for a couple of inches more of screen. If you need more power then invest more for a proper laptop.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 09:16 PM
    Can't we just have a bigger screen to carry and plug the passport into that??

Jaglenn's Passport
    05-06-15 08:19 PM
    I'm leaning towards Nvidia Shield, although I'm not a gamer. It's the right size and seems to have the most up to date specs. I see a new model is coming this summer, so they might be discounting the old.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 07:01 AM
    Can't we just have a bigger screen to carry and plug the passport into that??

Jaglenn's Passport
    I know that sounds like a great idea, but Asus has sold such an animal and proven it full of compromises.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    05-08-15 12:29 AM
    I'm leaning towards Nvidia Shield, although I'm not a gamer.
    Don't understand your logic, but I hope you enjoy it!
    05-08-15 01:03 AM
    Totally agree that it depends on use case.

I know someone who uses the surface just for the one note app, which he draws, writes with his hand and adds colors.
    At least your also audio recording.

The price for that for surface is around 400$?

I am not sure about your tablet but the surface is way to heavy and expensive for just doing the actions mentioned above, I could audio record with my Pearl 9105, I can draw in any piece of paper and take pictures, actually any current phone has apps for drawing.

Add 500$ and with a laptop you can have about 14" screen, 4 GB video, i7 5th generation processor, 8 GB RAM and a keyboard, there are also touch displays. That is great power money can buy.

I personally have many virtual machines for different kinds of works, web servers for testing, etc. I also can play Battlefield 4 with it. That game wouldn't run in those hybrids.

Back in 2011 I tried to incorporate my playbook at work and it was good while I was using the Pearl 9105, after that there was nothing I couldn't do with my z10 neither my Passport. But that is just useful when you are on the go because for working with documents, spreadsheet, etc I use my 26" display with my pc.

I had many issues editing documents in BlackBerry that later on office were wrong because of macros or other presentation stuff.

My last recommendation if all you want to do could be done with your phone them don't waste much more money for a couple of inches more of screen. If you need more power then invest more for a proper laptop.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, OneNote with a proper fine tip pen is a completely different experience than drawing on a random touchscreen with your finger or a fat tip stylus. I use Windows tablets primarily for OneNote and Office, and the pen is the biggest advantage.

I just got the Surface 3, and I don't need a laptop. Great Xbox games, if you're into that, but I use it to take notes, sign documents and email them back, update my website and use Office. Yes, I could do all that on the Passport, but not nearly as well.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    05-08-15 06:26 AM
    I use and ipad air. It's mainly used for games. Like real racing, watching videos... and I use blend on it. But I love my passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 10:25 AM
    Actually, OneNote with a proper fine tip pen is a completely different experience than drawing on a random touchscreen with your finger or a fat tip stylus. I use Windows tablets primarily for OneNote and Office, and the pen is the biggest advantage.
    People still can't wrap their heads around this. I'd say most haven't experienced true active stylus technology and still think the technology is half-assed at best. I was speaking to a kid at school who had a Surface Pro 2 but was writing all ****ed up with his palm off of the screen because that's how the iSheep do it with their iPads.

When someone wants to take notes and an Apple product or regular laptop comes up after a pennabled tablet is mentioned, I go ape **** inside.

Been reading some threads on the S3 over at TPCR, how do you feel about the eMMC? A lot of people aren't happy with the speed, but you should know that going in, I would think!

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-08-15 01:39 PM
    OK, so I've been setting up the Nvidia Shield today for a bit, had tech people put our intranet VPN access on. Passport can't access our intranet.

Magazines like New Scientist and the Economist look great. I've loaded most of the Microsoft Office apps and they seem fine.

I like the interface as BlackBerry 10 seems to work much the same way.

Speed: the tablet is lightning fast. Reception WiFi and LTE are great.

I like my Passport better for typing, as I'm now back to being a physical keyboard fan. But I'm happy enough with the tablet interface too.

The build quality is reasonable but not robust to BlackBerry standards.

Great screen. Excellent video. 8" is large enough.

First impressions. A great compliment to the passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 11:52 PM
    Without a doubt go for the Surface 3. I'm not a Passport user but that's what I'd do.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 11:58 PM
    If SP3 is too big there is a new Dell that has a screen that kills the Shield and comes with active stylus. Never thought I would want a Dell but I'm considering either one of these or a SP3.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 02:26 AM
    People still can't wrap their heads around this. I'd say most haven't experienced true active stylus technology and still think the technology is half-assed at best. I was speaking to a kid at school who had a Surface Pro 2 but was writing all ****ed up with his palm off of the screen because that's how the iSheep do it with their iPads.

When someone wants to take notes and an Apple product or regular laptop comes up after a pennabled tablet is mentioned, I go ape **** inside.

Been reading some threads on the S3 over at TPCR, how do you feel about the eMMC? A lot of people aren't happy with the speed, but you should know that going in, I would think!

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    I've spent the last two days updating my website (WordPress) on the S3, and yes, saving dozens of photos at a time was noticeably slower than on a desktop. There are other glitches with the pen and IE, but overall, I'm happy with the purchase. I do pair my Passport with it most of the time to use as a BT keyboard and trackpad. I have the 4/128 version. I will have to install Firefox, and I think performance will improve.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    05-09-15 07:49 AM
    Surface 3 and if you want small, then a Galaxy S 8.4 is the way to go.

I wouldn't buy anything that has windows 8.1 on it anticipating on 10. The new operating system could slow down the tablet, causing lag. I would feel safer buying a Microsoft product before anything else.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 10:11 AM
    I'm still happy with the Nvidia Shield. However my passport is the general workhorse.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 10:45 PM
96 ... 234