This may have been answered some place else, but I thought the passport was going to be available thru AT&T in the USA, is this still going to happen or is the only option for US users is to buy it unlocked from blackberry or Amazon.
    12-17-14 12:42 PM
    I personally think this is going to happen, based on something I saw today. On December 9th, a SQW100-3 was certified by the Power Matters Alliance, which is the group behind Powermat charging. This is awfully late to be getting certification for something that isn't going to come out, don't you think? This is even later than the AT&T model of the Classic, which was certified in October.
    12-17-14 12:47 PM
    I can't recommend buying the Passport through AT&T on contract. They have a track record of loading devices up with bloat after ripping it apart. They already have the capability to shut down Hotspot on BYOD Passports. I wouldn't give them the chance to fiddle with it even further.

Consider going for their Next discount. I hadn't been aware that phones brought in from outside sources qualified for that until someone in another thread turned me onto it. Everything except the fine print seemed to suggest that a phone had to be bought through AT&T on a payment plan to qualify.

That is not so. A $15.00 discount over a period of 48 months comes to more than enough to offset the cost of purchasing the handset through Amazon. Heck. Even if you only stick with it for a year, you're probably still coming out ahead.
    geekaren likes this.
    12-17-14 12:56 PM
    I can't recommend buying the Passport through AT&T on contract. They have a track record of loading devices up with bloat after ripping it apart. They already have the capability to shut down Hotspot on BYOD Passports. I wouldn't give them the chance to fiddle with it even further.

Consider going for their Next discount. I hadn't been aware that phones brought in from outside sources qualified for that until someone in another thread turned me onto it. Everything except the fine print seemed to suggest that a phone had to be bought through AT&T on a payment plan to qualify.

That is not so. A $15.00 discount over a period of 48 months comes to more than enough to offset the cost of purchasing the handset through Amazon. Heck. Even if you only stick with it for a year, you're probably still coming out ahead.

Unless I'm missing something...
    Math : $15 X 48 months = $720
    What I paid to Amazon price for the USA= $ 499 plus shipping

Secret squirrelling with my Passport. C0001FE5D
    12-17-14 01:55 PM
    Unless I'm missing something...
    Math : $15 X 48 months = $720
    What I paid to Amazon price for the USA= $ 499 plus shipping
    Well I did say 'more than enough'. However, I'm not certain what the final bill would be for the OP switching from contract to a Next plan. AT&T can be sneaky with fees.

And not everyone paid $499 for their units.
    12-17-14 02:27 PM
    Well I did say 'more than enough'. However, I'm not certain what the final bill would be for the OP switching from contract to a Next plan. AT&T can be sneaky with fees.

And not everyone paid $499 for their units.
    I totally agree with you.

Secret squirrelling with my Passport. C0001FE5D
    12-17-14 02:41 PM
    The discount is $25 for 2 years. You pay $15 for ATT15gb data plan if you bring in your own unlocked phone. In addition, you won't be charged the $40 activation fee upfront if you bring in your own phone. If you upgrade through ATT Next, you pay the $15 data plan fee plus the retail cost of the phone divided over the agreement period, either 12 months or 24 months.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 03:53 PM