I've been using my passport for the last 30 minutes while walking 2miles or so (tw,fb,here...) and I must say i'm pretty pleased or even surprised by the experience. While it requires a 2 handed operation, it's still agile and my accuracy is improving every minute so that I now barely use suggestions... ol' time 9900 KB times like.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pleased to hear that so many people here have bought a Passport and are pleased with it. I hope that it will have appeal within the general public. It's long overdue that BlackBerry have a device that really succeeds. I remember the good old days when I worked for Bell when there was a waiting list for new BlackBerry devices before they were even released.

Posted using my Asus Transformer TF700T via the CrackBerry App
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-03-14 09:37 AM
    I got mine yesterday, waiting for months to this very day to come. I was busy all day yesterday and finally found some time today to set it up properly.

Honestly, at present I don't know what to think about it. Usually I use a Q10 on weekdays and the Z30 on weekends when media consumption is more important. At present the Passport feels too wide and it won't fit in my front jeans pocket properly and I can't figure out which of these phones the Passport should replace.

I am on a trade fair the next couple of days and I am tempted to take the Q10 with me. I hope I will get used to the Passport but at present it somehow feels awkward.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:42 AM
    I got mine yesterday, waiting for months to this very day to come. I was busy all day yesterday and finally found some time today to set it up properly.

Honestly, at present I don't know what to think about it. Usually I use a Q10 on weekdays and the Z30 on weekends when media consumption is more important. At present the Passport feels too wide and it won't fit in my front jeans pocket properly and I can't figure out which of these phones the Passport should replace.

I am on a trade fair the next couple of days and I am tempted to take the Q10 with me. I hope I will get used to the Passport but at present it somehow feels awkward.

Posted via CB10
    The 2-3 days breaking in period "getting used" to the Passport worries me when it comes to appealing to the general public. While BlackBerry enthusiasts might be willing to buy the device and take that time, I can't see many people in the public doing it. I think most people try something in the store and if they find it really uncomfortable they move to something else.

When I tried the Galaxy Note in the store I found it really uncomfortable; just too big. I had no intentions of buying a phone anyway, but if I was really there to make a purchase I definitely would not have gone with the Note.

I think most people are the same way. If it isn't right in the store that's the end of it.

10-03-14 09:54 AM
    The only reason for the simplified 3-row keyboard design is to accommodate smaller for factors. The Passport could have supported a more complex keyboard with ease.

Posted with Passport via CB10
    10-03-14 10:22 AM
    The 2-3 days breaking in period "getting used" to the Passport worries me when it comes to appealing to the general public. While BlackBerry enthusiasts might be willing to buy the device and take that time, I can't see many people in the public doing it. I think most people try something in the store and if they find it really uncomfortable they move to something else.

When I tried the Galaxy Note in the store I found it really uncomfortable; just too big. I had no intentions of buying a phone anyway, but if I was really there to make a purchase I definitely would not have gone with the Note.

I think most people are the same way. If it isn't right in the store that's the end of it.

It's not targeted at the general public or the 'vast majority' of users. It's designed for certain business sectors. I'm sure many of us would love to see it bought by the masses but we all know that's not likely to happen. And so does BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:04 AM
    It's not targeted at the general public or the 'vast majority' of users. It's designed for certain business sectors. I'm sure many of us would love to see it bought by the masses but we all know that's not likely to happen. And so does BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Many businesses are going the route of BYOD or giving people the option to select from several approved devices. All of those people are going to try the device at a store before making their decision.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-03-14 11:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    I would tend to disagree in this respect. While it is officially marketed as a niche product we all know it is blackberry's flagship device. Only if it should fail it will be a niche device designed for a very specific target group.

I am using the Passport atm to write this post and try to find out what I think about it...

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:12 AM
    I would tend to disagree in this respect. While it is officially marketed as a niche product we all know it is blackberry's flagship device. Only if it should fail it will be a niche device designed for a very specific target group.

I am using the Passport atm to write this post and try to find out what I think about it...

Posted via CB10
    ??? It's a niche product because it is NOT designed for the mass majority of users but a segment of the market. Whether it is the flagship device for Blackberry is irrelevant. Blackberry is focused on the segment (niche) that prefers business productivity.
    10-04-14 05:41 AM
    There's a learning curve. A real one. Everyone should notice that before jumping in.
    This learning curve ends after 1 day or two of usage. Then you choose the way you use it. For instance, in many occasions, I found easier to tap on suggested words than swiping up or on the soft shift key to develop the virtual kb ...
    My complaint is about the decision to drop the punctuation and numeric keys from the physical keyboard in favour of unnecessarily enlarging the key size. Imagine trying to enter numbers into a spreadsheet only to realise 25% of your screen is blocked by the pop-up virtual keyboard. Replace the current keyboard with that of the Q5 and the BlackBerry Passport would improve tenfold. Why does the company take one step forward and two steps backward every time a new device is released?
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    10-04-14 06:36 AM
    Qwerty, please note you can type digits with physical keys.
    Sure have to get used to and still takes some screen, yet convenient
    (ex: Q for 0).

Passport, underwhelmed in person.-img_20141004_141058_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    10-04-14 07:11 AM
    Two weeks with my Passport now.. just switched briefly to my old Q10 last night and... man oh man.. what I thought was the best BlackBerry keyboard out there totally pales in comparison with the "magic" that happens on the Passport.
    Not only after few days of adjustment I can be more accurate and faster thanks to the wider buttons but with the swipe features composing entire sentences has never been easier.
    10-14-14 06:24 PM
    Just wanted to post my final decision here. I gave it a fair shot. A week of playing with it at my dealers, 24 hours with his demo phone at home. It just isn't for me. The keyboard is a deal breaker. It's simply not as fast, intuitive or, let's say, fun, as a normal qwerty.

Waiting for the classic. That'll be my communications workhorse, I'll just carry a large screen ios / note 4 as a second phone for media and docs.

Enjoy your phones guys, this one's a pass for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 07:59 PM
    Just wanted to post my final decision here. I gave it a fair shot. A week of playing with it at my dealers, 24 hours with his demo phone at home. It just isn't for me. The keyboard is a deal breaker. It's simply not as fast, intuitive or, let's say, fun, as a normal qwerty.

Waiting for the classic. That'll be my communications workhorse, I'll just carry a large screen ios / note 4 as a second phone for media and docs.

Enjoy your phones guys, this one's a pass for me.

Posted via CB10
    And that is totally ok. The Classic or other future model would fit better your needs probably. The Passport is in any meaning a "standard" BlackBerry but it is definitely the phone that they needed to focus the media and public attention back on the company.

Productivity wise I found the new keyboard faster and more accurate than the classic BlackBerry 4 rows settings but obviously i cannot speak for all the BB users and that is just my personal take.

Be a little more patient and I am pretty sure that you will love the Classic, from the latest news and specs its battery life can be compared with the Passport! It is definitely going to be another communications workhorse and ehi.. you can always carry a small tablet with Blend installed if you need more real estate screen.
    10-16-14 07:28 AM
    Emails are just part of what I need. A portable computer when I'm on the road without the laptop would make my life easier. I review many documents (author) and need to update multiple spreadsheets daily.

I love everything about this phone. It's almost perfect except for the damn keyboard.

I'm at the shop again trying to get used to it. So far it doesn't look promising. My dealer has offered to let me take the phone home overnight, I'll put it through its paces and see how it goes. Still keeping an open mind but for now, I simply can't get used to the squished keyboard the balance the feel of the keys travel etc.

Let's see, fingers crossed. I want to like this device, but without a keyboard I can fly on its effectively useless, for me.

If it doesn't work out I'll do a double phone thing. The classic as a phone, email, texting machine. Carry a note 4 for the screen size, document review etc.

It's funny, after playing with the large square screen even my Z30 seems impossible narrow and small. BlackBerry definitely has something going with the new form factor.

Posted via CB10
    There is a learning curve to get used of the keyboard. It took me a week to get familiar with it and two weeks time to write as fast as with my Z30. Today I am absolutely satisfied with it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    10-17-14 05:00 PM
    My last keyboard phone was back in 2012. Got the Z10 in 2013 then the Z30 this year. The BlackBerry virtual keyboard is second to none and typing was a breeze. When I first got the passport it was a bit awkward. A week later I can't believe how easy it is to type on this thing. I picked up the Z30 and found that it was hard to readjust to that.
    Bottom line..give it time you won't regret it. Trust me.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:27 PM
    Took me a couple of days to get use to it, but once you do you just flying. Especially with the gesture, incredible efficency.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:40 PM
    This thread makes sense. The OP is better-suited for the Classic, full stop.

I find the Passport's keyboard more satisfying than the Q10's, but it's a matter of taste.

The Classic will have equally great build quality, judging from the photos out there, and so everyone can be happy.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:47 PM
    For yet another update I've cancelled plans for the classic as well. Want something even more portable and after 10 months with the z30 I'm ok with gestures. Took belt would be nice but I can manage.

I'm going with a Q10 for now as my daily driver and keep the Z around with a data plan as a mini tablet.

I'll spend a few months with that and just wait and watch. Passport 2, the slider, classic 2 there's so many things planned I don't feel like putting down full price on any BlackBerry right now.

If all of them are horrible I can still grab the classic in a few months once bugs, initial reviews are out and the prices, inevitably, go down.

Never had the Q and I think I'll enjoy it for a bit.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 06:39 AM
    For yet another update I've cancelled plans for the classic as well. Want something even more portable and after 10 months with the z30 I'm ok with gestures. Took belt would be nice but I can manage.

I'm going with a Q10 for now as my daily driver and keep the Z around with a data plan as a mini tablet.

I'll spend a few months with that and just wait and watch. Passport 2, the slider, classic 2 there's so many things planned I don't feel like putting down full price on any BlackBerry right now.

If all of them are horrible I can still grab the classic in a few months once bugs, initial reviews are out and the prices, inevitably, go down.

Never had the Q and I think I'll enjoy it for a bit.

Posted via CB10
    Where are you? Did you get the deeply discounted price for the Q10?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 07:35 AM
    Thoughts on this thread: I came to my PP via Z10 after two BBOS phones and wonder if the PP keyboard is easier to learn having had nearly two years away from a PKB. If you have come direct from say a 9900 you may still be looking for the Alt key and getting a little frustrated whereas I'm learning again from scratch. Still got the Z but would much rather type on my PP.
    Don't know how other people hold theirs but I tend to type with two thumbs and split the keyboard; T'G and to the left my left thumb and obviously the letters to the right the opposite. Doubt if it's the best way but it works for me

Via Z10 or Passport, whichever is to hand
    11-03-14 03:24 PM
    I tried and tried but my Passport can't walk on water nor turn water into wine.
    11-03-14 04:04 PM
    I tried and tried but my Passport can't walk on water nor turn water into wine.
    Those features are coming in 10.4.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    11-03-14 06:14 PM
97 ... 234