I'm on business in India and my trusty BlackBerry dealer had a demo passport for me to play with.

Not sure what to think, I've been waiting for this device almost 6 months and I think I'll either pass or wait until the classic is out to decide.

The screen and build quality is incredible. Size is manageable in the pocket. Holding it up to the phone was a bit awkward but I use bluetooth headsets anyway even on my Z30.

Sound quality on the phone superb. Speakerphone volume and clarity matched a dedicated conference phone at the office.

My problem ? I couldn't type very well on this thing. The keys seemed stiff, key travel was awkward, spacing seemed off. Holding the phone to type is damn near impossible. The keyboard just seems too low on the device, I always felt like it was going to fall out of my hand.

It's smart, the swiping etc on a physical keyboard is brilliant, thing is the physical keyboard just wasn't very good when compared to the bold 9900 or the q10.

The majority of my work is messaging, if my phone can't do that well there's no point.

Same with the trackpad simulation. It works, just not as well as I thought it would. It worked while editing an email but when I brought up a Web page with forms, no cursor could be brought up.

Almost wondering if this phone would have worked better with a virtual keyboard. Same size same form factor just no keys.

Sad, all my excitement vanished in a few minutes. I suppose I could get used to it, but probably won't bother. The Z30 is the best virtual keyboard I've used, I'll probably pick up a classic, and then add an ios or android large screen device as my second phone.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow to keep overnight, let's see if playing with it more helps.

Surprisingly I got used to the virtual shift and number keys fairly quickly, it's just the main keyboard, really didn't like it at all.

Posted via CB10
    nabher likes this.
    09-29-14 09:14 AM
    So, you used a completely unique phone for a little while and couldn't immediately get used to it? From what I hear once you get the hang of it it's great.
    09-29-14 09:28 AM
    So, you used a completely unique phone for a little while and couldn't immediately get used to it? From what I hear once you get the hang of it it's great.
    Yes it takes a couple of days to get used to it. At first I was skeptical but now I love the typing. Op give it a few days and you will be flying on the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 09:37 AM
    I played with it at a telus store the other day and I was pretty impressed with it. I wasn't able to fiddle around with it online but just using it offline it seemed pretty badass took a couple trys to figure out how to do copy and pasting but once I did I was pretty sweet. Scrolling around the help pdf was smooth

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    09-29-14 09:42 AM
    I played with it at a telus store the other day and I was pretty impressed with it. I wasn't able to fiddle around with it online but just using it offline it seemed pretty badass took a couple trys to figure out how to do copy and pasting but once I did I was pretty sweet. Scrolling around the help pdf was smooth

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    Sums it up right there, it takes a little getting used to but it's amazing once you do! Same way getting used to the all-touch screen of the Z10 coming from a 9810, it stressed me out crazily for the first few days not being able to type quick, but quickly that was over and I was even more efficient. Everyone finds it this way with this one!
    Thunderbuck, KDB84 and thedose like this.
    09-29-14 09:46 AM
    I'm on business in India and my trusty BlackBerry dealer had a demo passport for me to play with.

Not sure what to think, I've been waiting for this device almost 6 months and I think I'll either pass or wait until the classic is out to decide.

My problem ? I couldn't type very well on this thing. The keys seemed stiff, key travel was awkward, spacing seemed off. Holding the phone to type is damn near impossible. The keyboard just seems too low on the device, I always felt like it was going to fall out of my hand.

Posted via CB10
    It takes a couple of days to get used to the keyboard. I find the wide keys very easy to type on. Try it for a week and I suspect that you might change your mind.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    09-29-14 09:53 AM
    I'm sure there's a learning curve and yes its new. The keyboard though, I can always tell whether it's going to work for me or not. It's for nothing to do with the virtual stuff or the swiping, just the way the keys felt under my fingers. Im an author and pretty anal even on laptops and externals.

I'll give it a shot but at the moment an immediate buy has changed to wait and see until the classic is out.

Some things won't change even if I do get used to it. It's top heavy, the kb is just too low, I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it and hammer off emails.

Posted via CB10
    troubauk likes this.
    09-29-14 10:01 AM

The screen and build quality is incredible. Size is manageable in the pocket. Holding it up to the phone was a bit awkward but I use bluetooth headsets anyway even on my Z30.

Sound quality on the phone superb. Speakerphone volume and clarity matched a dedicated conference phone at the office.

It's smart, the swiping etc on a physical keyboard is brilliant, thing is the physical keyboard just wasn't very good when compared to the bold 9900 or the q10.

The majority of my work is messaging, if my phone can't do that well there's no point.

Same with the trackpad simulation. It works, just not as well as I thought it would. It worked while editing an email but when I brought up a Web page with forms, no cursor could be brought up.

Almost wondering if this phone would have worked better with a virtual keyboard. Same size same form factor just no keys.

Sad, all my excitement vanished in a few minutes. I suppose I could get used to it, but probably won't bother. The Z30 is the best virtual keyboard I've used, I'll probably pick up a classic, and then add an ios or android large screen device as my second phone.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow to keep overnight, let's see if playing with it more helps.

Surprisingly I got used to the virtual shift and number keys fairly quickly, it's just the main keyboard, really didn't like it at all.

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't impressed either. I found it way too wide and typing was awkward.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-29-14 10:07 AM
    I wasn't impressed either. I found it way too wide and typing was awkward.

My main issue is the keyboard feels too skinny and low down on the phone. Can't explain it very well.

Ni big deal, different phones for different people and work flows. Let's see what the classic looks like. Keep a smaller sized messaging and phone powerhouse, maybe carry a note 4 if I really need a big screen while away from the laptop.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 10:12 AM
    I like these honest posts and esp so when crackberryites don't jump on the op for being candid.

like the bb10 interface coming from the 9900, i didn't like it, dismissed it. then i kept using it for about a week and realized i could never go back to old school. i'd still have the q10 instead of the 5s in my hands if it weren't for the dreaded restart when bumped (on 2 new q10s, too).

it's a tough call for me atm cuz i'd have to give up on uber, watchespn, nbc sports and google maps to go back to a blackberry phone. i don't like non-native apps.

thanks for sharing.
    Savior4Life, NYTOC83 and thedose like this.
    09-29-14 10:43 AM
    My main issue is the keyboard feels too skinny and low down on the phone. Can't explain it very well.

Ni big deal, different phones for different people and work flows. Let's see what the classic looks like. Keep a smaller sized messaging and phone powerhouse, maybe carry a note 4 if I really need a big screen while away from the laptop.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Same here. Just didn't find it comfortable. As you said different phones appeal to different people.

09-29-14 10:43 AM
    I'm all about the best tool for the job and needs. What's the point of being a rabid blind supporter of a brand? The company is out to make money, it's not MINE

Used osx for 12 years switching to windows 8 next month.

Had every iPhone until the 4, got my bold 9900, switched and never looked back.

Z30 - had It a week before official release and it's the best damn smartphone I've ever used in my life.

I like blackberry, bb10 is phenomenal, the hub for two twitter accounts, FB, whatsapp, 2 personal, 5 business emails.. no os compares in terms of efficiency.

I've been waiting for the passport, but if it doesn't meet MY needs, if some thing is even vaguely off, then I'm going to be honest and simply won't buy it.

Not saying it's a bad phone, not saying it's not right for you, it just isn't right for me.

I'll give it a chance. Keep playing with it and the keyboard but the first reaction will be hard to overcome.

Posted via CB10
    Overlake, scmcc16, NYTOC83 and 3 others like this.
    09-29-14 10:52 AM
    No phone is perfect. You select what is best for you. I was debating between classic and Passport. I will be getting the passport. For me the wide display is critical to consume documents. Then again I am a 17" laptop guy not a 13". I need the realestate and power. Everyone looks for different things.
    I held one for the first time at Telus and can I say for me it was the most premium feeling mobile device I have ever held. Definitely not a small toy.

Posted via CB10
    Krishna Ram and thedose like this.
    09-29-14 10:59 AM
    I have really really small hands and I too was not hugely struck on the size of the device nor how different the keyboard felt when I first got it. Difference was though, I'd actually bought the phone so I had to get used to it! 5 days on and I am absolutely loving the phone. The keyboard issues I had (space bar too small) (only 3 rows of keys) have now all disappeared as I am simply used to the device.

As much as everyone keeps saying it, it's completely true.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai and thedose like this.
    09-29-14 11:03 AM
    No phone is perfect. You select what is best for you. I was debating between classic and Passport. I will be getting the passport. For me the wide display is critical to consume documents. Then again I am a 17" laptop guy not a 13". I need the realestate and power. Everyone looks for different things.
    I held one for the first time at Telus and can I say for me it was the most premium feeling mobile device I have ever held. Definitely not a small toy.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you on that. Solid solid built. Felt very premium. Loved the screen real estate. Size was a surprise, it didn't feel. For some reason. As large as it should. Very pocket able too.

I'll keep trying the keyboard. Will bring home the demo for a day or two. Let's see maybe I'll change my mind or get used to it.

A passport size device with the z30 vkb. Now that would be interesting.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:18 AM
    I, too, did not immediately fall in love with the Passport when I held onto it and played with it on opening day. Then after reading some comments and reviews that it takes a while to get used to I can understand that viewpoint. Otherwise, everything else was absolutely fantastic on it. To be honest, if I watched Kevin's review before I checked it out then I might have bought it on the spot. For now, I'm still in love with my Z10.
    09-29-14 11:24 AM
    Yes. I have the Z10 and love it. Now after almost two years I am ready for the next adventure. Something new and different. Not your regular slab phone

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's the thing with the Passport. It's clearly not for everyone. I actually like that BlackBerry introduced a device that doesn't try to be all things to all people.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:31 AM
    You're holding it wrong!

Posted via CB10
    asmiley and kthhrrsn like this.
    09-29-14 11:32 AM
    I thought the same thing too, that the keys were too low, but after a couple days, it's now normal for me, and typing on my Q10 seems ridiculous.

The Passport just needs a few days with you to get you used to it. Swiping for symbols is like second nature now, and I can't imagine going back to anything else.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-29-14 11:38 AM
    I've been using mine since yesterday and I certainly agree that it's a personal preference. I don't find it top heavy and can use it one handed which looks a little funny for passers by but works when I need it.

I quickly got use to the keyboard and found the layout works really well and I can really see how they've arrived at the keyboard design and after some minor acclimatisation the whole three row plus virtual works really intuitively. I've mashed out two 1000+ word documents, made a presentation, done about 60 emails and muddled my way through updating a spreadsheet.

If you don't feel it's right for you then it probably isn't. In the last 18 months I've gone Torch 9810 > Xperia Z > Z10 > Note 3 > Z10(!) > Passport

For me this takes the awesomeness of BB10 and really runs with it!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:58 AM
    I think with the passport the key to getting a comfortable grip is thinking of the virtual row of keys as a physical row. i think keep that in mind will cause your hands to hold the phone a little bit higher so that it isn't top heavy. I've never played with the phone, just speculating.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm on day 3 with the Passport, and my familiarity with the keyboard gets better and better each day. It's similar to the experience I had when i initially picked up the Z10 (coming from the 9900). It took some time for me to get used to the virtual keyboard, and when I did, I was a typing machine! By the time I moved to the Z30, I was an old pro.

With the Passport, my hand muscles have to get re-acquainted with typing on a physical keyboard again. I was hooked from the start, but the more I use it, the better I get.

This is an awesome, non compromises device. I have both the physical keyboard, some virtual keyboard short-cuts (swiping words up and deleting words with one action), and an incredible amount of screen real estate.

As JC said, this phone ain't for everyone. I happen to love it and appreciate the wider screen when I work.
    asmiley and bungaboy like this.
    09-29-14 12:06 PM
    Thanks op for the honest impression and good that you didn't close the door right after... perception could be deceiving sometimes, one way or the other... I remember when I bought a Toshiba laptop (top model) years ago my first impression was like the laptop was just ok (too heavy etc)... after using it for a couple of days I saw why was a top model... was my laptop for 5 years using everyday... now I have a top model dell laptop and even when it is an awesome device, I miss some things from my old Toshiba (especially the keyboard, was better)... so, give it a try and report back to see if it went away or you still not in love with the device...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:21 PM
    I wonder how many consumers went out and test drove an extended cargo van with heavy duty suspension. But then would say it's to big for my everyday use of transportation, to big for my garage. Passport isnt for the basic consumer at all. Can't understand the bad reviews so quick. Just a commment of its not for me would suffice.
    09-29-14 01:14 PM
97 123 ...