I'd like to start a tread for people to share their knowledge about the Passport's unique keyboard and touch screen experience.

Using the keyboard as a traditional keyboard does work quickly as you might think; I think people were supposed to use its enhanced features as a matter of course, rather than an option, to get optimal performance out of the device.

While us fortunate PP owners get the benefit of a hands on experience, I thought a good thread like this would also be useful for those a little nervous to take the plunge with this device since it truly does break what has become the norm.

So.... what swipe, techniques, secrets have you learned so far?

How have different developers taken advantage (or not) of the Passport's unique keyboard abilities?

How do you tickle your Passport's fancy?

Passport || Fido
    10-03-14 12:43 AM
    I'll be watching this! Thanks for starting it.

Oops, OP, forgot to add, please add the OS you're running. Pretty sure things will be added accordingly as they move forward.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    10-03-14 12:44 AM
    I'll start off by repeating a little of what has been posted in other threads.

Useful to know:

swiping down on the keyboard switches through the special character panels to get at the goodies without the 'alt' key.

Double tapping the keyboard toggles the text selector, which you can move around a large body of text with more precision and clarity than your club finger. Holding the virtual shift key and scrolling over the keyboard over the texts you want selects EXACTLY what you're going for.

I can already feel my blood pressure dropping when I need to respond to an e-mail before my iPhone toting work rival can. ;-)

Passport || Fido
    10-03-14 12:48 AM
    You can multi swipe delete using the expanded onscreen keyboard. If you can manage it will delete up to 4 words at once. Trick is to get one finger on each of the rows to do 4 at once. Works with both ways of toggling the keyboard, the swipe down or the button.
    10-03-14 01:12 AM
    You can multi swipe delete using the expanded onscreen keyboard. If you can manage it will delete up to 4 words at once. Trick is to get one finger on each of the rows to do 4 at once. Works with both ways of toggling the keyboard, the swipe down or the button.
    Niice! Cool one!

I just found this in the Browser and doubt it's a Passport exclusiveand more os a OS10 thing but...

If you place your thumb/finger over the tab box (where the number of tabs you have is), you can actually 'peek' to the root the route menu of the Browser

Passport || Fido

Edit: holy crap!!!! You can do this in the CB App as well with the back button!! Nice peal effect Crackberry!

(I hope I'm not the only one that didn't notice this)
    10-03-14 01:30 AM
    Ask for the future use (5days from now).
    Setting up 2 language input done. How to swap keyboard language input ? Eng (US) to 2nd language.
    10-03-14 01:35 AM
    Chiefs, peek like that works in every app that has a back button and is native. It is just a function of the cascades programming. It is certainly cool and usable, and it allows you to peek back to the main menu instead of going back one page at a time.

As for the multiswipe to delete multiple words, I have not gotten through that to work on my Passport at all. No matter how or where I swipe I can delete just one word at a time.

Swapping languages: there is a globe symbol on the contextual row of symbols (together with ,). Longpressing this changes language.
    Attachment 302754

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10-03-14 03:16 AM
    Yeah! This feature I had no idea about, haha

Got another tip for adjusting.....

It's a little hard to remember, but looking up at the predicted words for swiping is really a time saver.

It's awkward to remember, but for words longer that 5 or 6 letters, it's very useful.

I've also notice that the predictive text seems to be waaaay better on the passport than virtual keyboards blackberry has had. And I also enjoy how the predictive text doesn't change the perfectly good work I've typed with another word - confusing the hell out of me.

Also, I've found that the predictive text is quite forgiving of a fair amount of of button mashing. It took a while, but I found I can type a lot faster with less errors if I let the keyboard correct me. Either with the predictive suggestions, or the space bar correction.

My typing trust issues are well compensated with the Passport.

Passport || Fido
    10-03-14 07:41 PM
    Well....

It must just be that easy to use!

Thanks for coming out!

Mods, feel free to lock this thread up and save all the useful tips for reference. Lol

Passport || Fido
    10-04-14 04:12 AM
    Am on day 8 of my passport. Am starting to shred on the keyboard. Double tap to bring up the cursor and shift key to highlight is what I just learnt.

My seidio convert case arrived. Extra thickness makes it a lot easier to type. Not so good for the pocket.
    03-13-15 03:46 PM
    There is a post about this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965730

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:01 PM