So last night before going to bed, I hook up my Passport on the charger, like I always do. This morning when I wake up and go to check my daily morning e-mails, it prompted me for the password screen, which was unresponsive, so I held down the reboot button, which after 10 minutes just kept showing the dark black "blackberry" screen and did nothing.

Then I tried holding the volume buttons and the reset button at the same time, and it rebooted but stayed stuck on the "finalizing device setup" screen for over an hour. When I try resetting again, I get either of these 2 screens, so clearly there's a problem. I'm oping this is not a permanent issue that has deleted my data because I have nothing backed up.

What do I do to fix this and get the phone working again?

Thanks
    05-05-15 06:17 PM
    Any Solution for this .. ?
    02-16-17 09:05 PM
    So last night before going to bed, I hook up my Passport on the charger, like I always do. This morning when I wake up and go to check my daily morning e-mails, it prompted me for the password screen, which was unresponsive, so I held down the reboot button, which after 10 minutes just kept showing the dark black "blackberry" screen and did nothing.

Then I tried holding the volume buttons and the reset button at the same time, and it rebooted but stayed stuck on the "finalizing device setup" screen for over an hour. When I try resetting again, I get either of these 2 screens, so clearly there's a problem. I'm oping this is not a permanent issue that has deleted my data because I have nothing backed up.

What do I do to fix this and get the phone working again?

Thanks
    I have just experienced the same problem and I desperately need to get my Passport going. Is it possible that no one in BlackBerry is capable of offering a solution?

Paul
    10-02-18 01:47 PM
    It's not only possible, it's almost certain. The Passport is a 4 year old smartphone - a category of devices that have an expected life of 2-3 years. Further, the manufacturer (BB) has been out of the device business for over 2 years and no longer offers device repairs (Passport parts ran out over a year ago).

Both cases sound like a software (corrupted OS) or storage (failing flash storage) to me. An autoloader might get the phone back up and running, but if you aren't making regular backups, then you have probably lost the data on the phone - and on the SD card if you encrypted it.

A mobile device should NEVER be a primary (must less exclusive) storage for important data, because they are too easily lost, damaged, or otherwise subject to failures. This is a big reason why most people have embraced the cloud for email, contacts, documents, and photos - it also serves as a real-time backup.

Given the age of the device, and the state of the company and platform, I would have (and have!) recommended using more than one method of backup, as the BB10 platform and the associated apps and services are failing or disappearing almost daily. At best, you are on borrowed time...
    10-02-18 02:32 PM
    It's not only possible, it's almost certain. The Passport is a 4 year old smartphone - a category of devices that have an expected life of 2-3 years. Further, the manufacturer (BB) has been out of the device business for over 2 years and no longer offers device repairs (Passport parts ran out over a year ago).

Both cases sound like a software (corrupted OS) or storage (failing flash storage) to me. An autoloader might get the phone back up and running, but if you aren't making regular backups, then you have probably lost the data on the phone - and on the SD card if you encrypted it.

A mobile device should NEVER be a primary (must less exclusive) storage for important data, because they are too easily lost, damaged, or otherwise subject to failures. This is a big reason why most people have embraced the cloud for email, contacts, documents, and photos - it also serves as a real-time backup.

Given the age of the device, and the state of the company and platform, I would have (and have!) recommended using more than one method of backup, as the BB10 platform and the associated apps and services are failing or disappearing almost daily. At best, you are on borrowed time...
    Expected life of 2-3 years? Really? Providers want us to upgrade that often but to suggest a phone only has that lifespan seems a little (under?) exaggerated and inaccurate to me.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-18 06:04 PM
    Try installing blackberry link on a PC and plug your passport into the computer. There are threads elsewhere that describe how to do it. Has happened to me a couple of times and I've managed to "un-brick" by reload the OS which has for some reason become corrupted. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-18 10:23 PM
    autoloader? did you try it?

 BlackBerry Passport RED Edition 10.3.3.2049
    10-11-18 03:19 AM