Just got my Passport and the girl at Telus told me I could use my Sim from my Z10 but I can't get it in. It seems like it's way too big. Can anybody help me out?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 06:24 PM
    Z10 uses a micro sim, you need a nano sim for your passport

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 06:25 PM
    You need a new nano-sim.
    10-03-14 06:28 PM
    Are you serious? You wait until I get to talk to that business manager at Telus.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 06:28 PM
    Are you serious? You wait until I get to talk to that business manager at Telus.
    Posted via CB10
    He should throw in a few nano-sims for free. Nano-sims are used for the newer smartphones.
    10-03-14 06:37 PM
    He should throw in a few nano-sims for free. Nano-sims are used for the newer smartphones.
    You're right! I will mention that. Thanks guys!

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 07:32 PM
    Or you can cut your micro into nano.

BlackBerry Passport
    10-03-14 07:34 PM
    It is only possible from micro to nano. But from normal to nano is a no go because the normal is too thick. Length and width are the same but depth is different

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 07:47 PM
    That's sounds adventurous and all, but I want to keep that Sim Card for times when I want to switch back to my Z10. I'll be near a Telus store tomorrow, so I guess I will survive taking calls on the Z10 for now.
    10-03-14 08:08 PM
    Just got my Passport and the girl at Telus told me I could use my Sim from my Z10 but I can't get it in. It seems like it's way too big. Can anybody help me out?

Posted via CB10
    On Rogers you would need to get a "SureTap LTE Nano SIM" to enable the NFC functionality for Canadian payment systems. Sorry I don't know the TELUS equivalent. Rogers charged me $12 for the new SIM. I picked up an adapter for the nano-sim which allows me to use it on my other handsets (Z10, Q10, Z30)

"Noosy" makes a nice set of anything-to-anything adapters for CHEAP (this is what I use)
    http://www.amazon.ca/Noosy-Micro-Nor...UvbUpU10926444
    spike12 likes this.
    10-03-14 08:12 PM
    On Rogers you would need to get a "SureTap LTE Nano SIM" to enable the NFC functionality for Canadian payment systems. Sorry I don't know the TELUS equivalent. Rogers charged me $12 for the new SIM. I picked up an adapter for the nano-sim which allows me to use it on my other handsets (Z10, Q10, Z30)

"Noosy" makes a nice set of anything-to-anything adapters for CHEAP (this is what I use)
    http://www.amazon.ca/Noosy-Micro-Nor...UvbUpU10926788
    That's very cool! Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:38 PM

http://www.amazon.ca/Noosy-Micro-Nor...UvbUpU10926891
    I don't think an NFC enabled SIM is required. Passport has NFC built in. I used my old AT&T SIM in my Passport and I use NFC at Tim Hortons (Canadian) several times a day. The SureTap Sim is for phones with no built in NFC, as I understand it.
    10-03-14 10:03 PM
    It is only possible from micro to nano. But from normal to nano is a no go because the normal is too thick. Length and width are the same but depth is different

Posted via CB10

I am using my old AT&T SIM in my Passport. I cut it down from regular SIM to micro for my Q/Z 10 and Z30 and then cut it down again for nano in the Passport. Sanded it down a bit for the thickness you mentioned. Works like a champ!
    10-03-14 10:05 PM
    I just took my Z10 with my Passport in to the store and the folks at AT&T just switched out the sim card for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:37 PM
    I just took my Z10 with my Passport in to the store and the folks at AT&T just switched out the sim card for me.

Posted via CB10
    I live in Canada. No AT&T stores here. Company provided SIM and they won't allow BB's. So, sshhhhhhhh, don't tell.
    10-03-14 10:40 PM
    I don't think an NFC enabled SIM is required. Passport has NFC built in. I used my old AT&T SIM in my Passport and I use NFC at Tim Hortons (Canadian) several times a day. The SureTap Sim is for phones with no built in NFC, as I understand it.
    This is not correct.

The nfc sim stores credit card credentials I believe, it does not actually have any nfc technology in the sim.

If you want to use rogers suretap wallet, or any banking app with their nfc payment systems, you need their app, nfc enabled phone that is compatible with their service and a suretap sim.

Tin Hortons card acts more like a rewards card and in guessing is not as advanced as a visa or a mastercard with the tap to pay. Also it is prepaid so there is not a lot at risk if something is compromised.

This video from Rogers will clarify:

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 10:56 AM
    Does Rogers offer a non-NFC nano SIM and a NFC nano-SIM? If that's the case, it makes no sense whatsoever as currently (at least according to the guy at Rogers I talked to) only the iPhone 6 and the Passport use the nano SIM right now (newer Androids coming out will use it). That could be incorrect information, but that's what I was told when I got my SIM for the Passport.

I was not informed of the NFC SIM vs non-NFC SIM, so I think that nano SIMs in general from Rogers likely have it, because it wouldn't make sense to have a non-NFC SIM that is used in only the newest smartphones which came out after the need for NFC SIMs existed.

JB
    10-08-14 11:09 AM
    Does Rogers offer a non-NFC nano SIM and a NFC nano-SIM? If that's the case, it makes no sense whatsoever as currently (at least according to the guy at Rogers I talked to) only the iPhone 6 and the Passport use the nano SIM right now (newer Androids coming out will use it). That could be incorrect information, but that's what I was told when I got my SIM for the Passport.

I was not informed of the NFC SIM vs non-NFC SIM, so I think that nano SIMs in general from Rogers likely have it, because it wouldn't make sense to have a non-NFC SIM that is used in only the newest smartphones which came out after the need for NFC SIMs existed.

JB
    You need a Rogers suretap nano sim if you want to make payments with NFC and your credit card.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:21 AM
    An NFC SIM is not required for basic NFC functions such as using a Tim's card or transferring files between phones. However, it is required for NFC payments through a bank. Telus charges $10 for either an NFC nano SIM or a regular nano sim. Therefore, in order to do NFC banking you still need an NFC sim even if your phone has NFC.

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/mobility/...All_toSIMCards

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/mobility/...y=nfc-nano-sim

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:23 AM
    The sim that came with my Passport doesn't say Suretap or anything NFC on it. I asked the sales guy that gave me the Sim and he said it is Suretap enabled. I didn't know if Suretap Nano Sims existed or not but I don't think I got one. Will call Rogers and get one sent to me.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:37 AM
    You need a Rogers suretap nano sim if you want to make payments with NFC and your credit card.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Got that. But you completely missed the point of my post.

NFC SIM has been required for using credit cards with NFC for over a year now. Nano SIMs are practically brand new. Why would non-NFC Nano SIMs even be made if that is the only way to use NFC on your phone in any useful manner?

JB
    10-08-14 12:05 PM
    Thanks. Got that. But you completely missed the point of my post.

NFC SIM has been required for using credit cards with NFC for over a year now. Nano SIMs are practically brand new. Why would non-NFC Nano SIMs even be made if that is the only way to use NFC on your phone in any useful manner?

JB
    I may be wrong here but I think it's because the first phones to use Nano Sims were iPhones, and iPhones didn't support NFC. Now that Nano Sims are being more widely adopted, the need for a Nano NFC Sim has arisen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nano Sims were not NFC capable, or only recently became capable.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 12:15 PM
    Rogers dude that gave me my new Nano card specifically told me they're all Suretap enabled. I have my doubts, but I can't load the Suretap app anyway right now. It's not available for Passport yet. I'm going to write to them and ask about it.
    10-22-14 01:29 PM
    Went to three Roger's stores and a Futureshop to find a NFC nano. Hard to find. Some of the clerks didn't even know NFC versions were available.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 01:33 PM
    I may be wrong here but I think it's because the first phones to use Nano Sims were iPhones, and iPhones didn't support NFC. Now that Nano Sims are being more widely adopted, the need for a Nano NFC Sim has arisen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nano Sims were not NFC capable, or only recently became capable.

Posted via CB10
    This.

Also, i'm pretty sure (90%) that apple owns the patent on nano-sim, so anyone who wants to use one has to pay them a fee. Could be wrong about that though.

Anyway, yeah, most carriers offer an NFC enabled nano-sim and a NON NFC nano-sim. Just get the NFC enabled one. There shouldn't be a difference in price. That way, if you DO ever decide to use NFC banking (from a bank, not a coffee shop) you can do it.

And get a Nano to micro adapter, for disaster proofing, should you need to switch phones ever. I keep one in my wallet, with a micr-SD to SD card adapter for file swapping. Just because my USB to go cable doesn't fit a wallet.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 04:22 PM
27 12