/beginrant

Is it just me or is anyone else disappointed in the fact that the Z10 / 30 has been out almost 2 years and there's nothing new to update with? I have absolutely no desire to pick up the square and extremely ugly passport, let alone a keyboard device.

The classic does nothing for me either as I feel it is a big step backward.

I want to see a newer, faster, better all-touch device! I am *itching* to upgrade my nearly 2 year old Z10!

C'mon BlackBerry!

/endrant
    mkelley65, JORENO, r3m00r3 and 9 others like this.
    09-23-14 12:00 PM
    I'm sure there will be another all touch BlackBerry but at this moment I think BlackBerry want to try and get some of their lost market share back via the passport and classic.
    Last edited by Spawn12; 09-23-14 at 12:56 PM.
    09-23-14 12:03 PM
    The classic is a way to transition people from bb7 to bb10, the passport is for people like me who want a bigger screen but with a keyboard. BlackBerry is known for keyboards it doesn't surprise me that the first phones released under chen's redefined BlackBerry would be physical keyboard phones.

I'm sure an all touch device is in the pipeline and will be released, but there is a lot more competition in the all-touch device market. BlackBerry goal of selling 10M phones a year can possibly be accomplished in their niche of physical keyboard phones.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 12:35 PM
    They will make one but part of reconstructing the brand and the profits is to see how many people they can convert to BlackBerry or even BlackBerry10 from legacy with qwerty devices which they are best known for. And if it goes well with classic and passport then it's just the matter of the snowballing the next devices which will be all touch.
    09-23-14 12:50 PM
    Hadn't really thought of the classic as a transition device...I guess that is a good thing. Personally I would love to get a Z30 but don't want to get tied into a 2 year contract on something that is dated already. With my luck, a new device will come out a month after I got it.

I just am not sold on the Passport...I can't get past it's strange appearance. Maybe when I actually try one I'll change my mind but I would never use one simply because of the keyboard. I had my Z10 a couple months before I tried the Q10 and I could only stand the real keyboard for a day before I handed it back.
    lift likes this.
    09-23-14 02:36 PM
    Hoping for the same OP and I think it will come too, but after these devices
    09-23-14 02:44 PM
    For your information:
    1. The Z30 was launched in September 2013
    2. John Chen is doing what is required to steady the ship. Which is, target a phone that will appeal to business professionals, which is the BlackBerry stronghold. Once the phone is accepted and it helps revenue, the consumer market will be targeted with maybe another all touch
    3. The Z30 boasts much better CPU and RAM specs than the latest iPhones and with 10.3 shortly, will run even more android apps seamlessly.

You are entitled to your opinion however we should be patient. The worst thing BlackBerry could do is toss another all touch device on the market. It will come in time.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 02:44 PM
    Odds are good we'll hear word on the Z20 either tomorrow or during the earnings call on Friday, so that will cover the low-end full-touch end of things.

Lots of chatter about a new all-touch flagship next spring or summer. VERY COOL retractable keyboard came out in public last week in patent drawings, with the suggestion that the product is coming first half of next year. Would be a piece of cake for BB to produce the same device without the zoomy keyboard.
    09-23-14 02:58 PM
    And the Passport IS an all-touch device. It just happens to have a bunch of buttons on the bottom for typing and shortcuts. And a massive trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 03:18 PM
    For your information:
    3. The Z30 boasts much better CPU and RAM specs than the latest iPhones and with 10.3 shortly, will run even more android apps seamlessly.
    Posted via CB10
    The part about the Z30 having better CPU specs than the latest iPhone is, to but it bluntly, incorrect.
    09-23-14 03:22 PM
    I don't think the passport is ugly. However I like you however am also waiting on something to replace my Z10. I love my Z10 and am remaining loyal to Blackberry. My wife has an Iphone, my daughter has a droid. It's Blackberry for the "Kid"
    09-23-14 03:25 PM
    Love my Z10's and Z30's. That said, I am also waiting for a newer all touch device. Come on BlackBerry. At least tell us something.
    09-23-14 03:40 PM
    The part about the Z30 having better CPU specs than the latest iPhone is, to but it bluntly, incorrect.
    Do you want to support some proof? From what I gather you are wrong? Z30 1.7ghz dual core to A8 dual core 1.4ghz proving to be that the z30 has better specs. From what I read...

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...blackberry-z30

http://n4bb.com/apple-iphone-6-plus-...-z30-z3-video/

Unless I'm talking through my hat, to put it bluntly you should educate yourself more before saying someone is incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi and delroyj like this.
    09-23-14 03:53 PM
    Do you want to support some proof? From what I gather you are wrong? Z30 1.7ghz dual core to A8 dual core 1.4ghz proving to be that the z30 has better specs. From what I read...

Unless I'm talking through my hat, to put it bluntly you should educate yourself more before saying someone is incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    It's a good thing you said something because I was about to post this......

Passport Shmassport! I want a new All-touch Device!-crackberry-image.jpg

Look! It's Zedzilla10! ?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-23-14 04:16 PM

Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs BlackBerry Z30 and Z3 (Video) | N4BB

Posted via CB10
    Processor CLOCK SPEED ALONE does not mean the CPU is better. What the CPU does during each clock cycle, how efficiently it does it and many other factors determine a CPU's overall performance. There are many examples of older generation CPU's running at say 1.5 GHz that are literally blown away by newer generation CPU's running at 1.2 GHZ. I would like to see a direct CPU comparison of the 2 devices. You my friend need to do some serious homework. I DO electronics for a living. Don't embarrass yourself anymore than you already have.
    09-23-14 04:19 PM
    Processor CLOCK SPEED ALONE does not mean the CPU is better. What the CPU does during each clock cycle, how efficiently it does it and many other factors determine a CPU's overall performance. There are many examples of older generation CPU's running at say 1.5 GHz that are literally blown away by newer generation CPU's running at 1.2 GHZ. I would like to see a direct CPU comparison of the 2 devices. You my friend need to do some serious homework. I DO electronics for a living. Don't embarrass yourself anymore than you already have.
    I wasn't quite talking about efficiency per clock but thanks. I knew that I should of said on paper because some people come along with an ego. But hey, I'm just an engineer who am I to say. I think I have the mental capacity to know more about processors than just numbers. But please do educate me.

You clearly didn't get the point of my post.

Also if you didn't catch it; I DO engineering for a living. Don't flatter yourself.

Posted via CB10
    nuangel2 and spikesolie like this.
    09-23-14 04:43 PM
    If clock speed alone dictated the performance of a chip then that means the chips in our phones are much faster than the chips in our PCs.

That's simply not the case. In this case due to x86 vs ARM.

Take a 1.5Ghz dual core Intel x86 CPU and benchmark it against a similarly speced ARM CPU. The Intel would blow it out of the water.

Look at the benchmarks, Apple's A7/A8 processor is much faster than any Snapdragon.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and lift like this.
    09-23-14 06:16 PM
    The Z30 CPU runs at a higher clock than the A8 in an iPhone 6. That much is true.

The claim that the Z30's CPU is therefore faster or more powerful, though, is very wrong.

Having said that, the Z30 is only a year old, right? They are a little behind on a replacement, but it's not egregious. It's also certainly understandable with everything that has been happening with this company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-23-14 06:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    The proof is in the GPU... look at the GPU.... even then you can't compare... this is like comparing a intel cpu with 4 cores vs a 8core AMD cpu.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-23-14 06:42 PM
    The Z30 CPU runs at a higher clock than the A8 in an iPhone 6. That much is true.

The claim that the Z30's CPU is therefore faster or more powerful, though, is very wrong.

Having said that, the Z30 is only a year old, right? They are a little behind on a replacement, but it's not egregious. It's also certainly understandable with everything that has been happening with this company.

A new all touch device should come every 2 years. So the Z10 is ready for an actual upgrade between January February 2015

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-23-14 06:44 PM
    The proof is in the GPU... look at the GPU.... even then you can't compare... this is like comparing a intel cpu with 4 cores vs a 8core AMD cpu.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Did I mention GPU in my post? I was simply comparing the on paper numbers of the CPU alone.
    09-23-14 06:44 PM
    A new all touch device should come every 2 years. So the Z10 is ready for an actual upgrade between January February 2015
    Once they stabilize the business, though, they will want to get on a yearly cadence. It's hard to sell a phone that is over a year old. It will be almost impossible to sell a phone that is 20+ months old.

Again, they've been through a lot, so they get a pass for now.

09-23-14 06:47 PM
    I have a Z10 and Q10. And I would have also purchased a Z30 if Blackberry had not granted exclusivity to Verizon. What I want from BlackBerry is a new high-end 5" touch handset.
    09-23-14 08:06 PM
    [WARN]Keep it on topic people!

This isn't a thread on iPhone specs.[/WARN]

@OP: Love the thread title.

Since this is actually about wanting a device that is not the Passport, I'm moving this thread to General Discussion for now.
    lift and NoAhB0Dy like this.
    09-23-14 08:50 PM
    There will be one in 2015

Posted via Z30 from the sunny Okanagan
    lift likes this.
    09-23-14 08:52 PM
84 123 ...