I find that once in a while the passport responds to a touch without actually tapping the screen

I thought I was imaging things, but it happens frequently enough that I know it does do it

This is not a bad thing it's neat when it happens

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Posted via CB10 Canadian Passport
    11-15-14 10:22 AM
    I haven't had that on my Passport which I've had for a mth or so now. Mind giving us an example or even a video to show what you are talking about lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 10:49 AM
    Ya mine will do that as well! Weird. Not good in my books.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 10:56 AM
    It happens to me quite often. My finger hovers about 1-3 mm above keys and enough to register the touch. Since the keyboard is capacitive sensitive, this will occur depending how much static electricity on finger tips I guess. Yeah it is kinda neat when it happens.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 11:02 AM
    I've never experienced that on the Passport or any of the other touchscreen BlackBerry devices. I have received responses when I touched the keyboard when I didn't expect it.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    11-15-14 11:02 AM
    It happened with my Z10 as well, occasionally. I think it has to do with heat sensors. Not sure though. What I can say is a buddy of mine has circulation issues and has very cold finger tips. He had a terrible time getting touch screens to work. I guess he just doesn't have enough heat in his fingers to generate an action. Maybe you are the reverse.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 11:03 AM
    The capacitive touchscreen of the Passport reacts very quickly to inputs. Sometimes you're not even sure whether the surface has been touched. Inputs are precisely translated and do not have to be repeated. This is the same new touch screen technology that of samsung phones and tablet but not as bad. With Samsung your fingers can be two millimetres away from the screen and it will respond immediately. I sometimes wish Blackberry went with the same technology as Apple as it only response to your skin electrical current but there and cons and pros with both technology and you can't have both.
    11-15-14 11:30 AM
    Nope, but the screen is very sensitive and responsive which is good

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 11:38 AM
    I haven't noticed it with the screen but the keyboard is ultra sensitive which I kinda like!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 01:15 PM
    I haven't noticed it with the screen but the keyboard is ultra sensitive which I kinda like!

Posted via CB10
    This is actually pretty bad because when you use precision text editing or you just want to reposition the cursor via the keyboard, the cursor will often jump just as you are about to start typing. It forces you to double tap to bring up the precision cursor, then double tap again to dismiss it before actually typing.

Posted via CB10
    reveal likes this.
    11-15-14 01:19 PM
    Happens to me as well. Must be the static electricity. Pretty cool when it happens though.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 02:38 PM
    Hasn't happened to me yet. It did happen on my Playbook a few times. But that turned out to have something to do with weirdness caused by something else also plugged into the same outlet (and never happened when not plugged in).

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 02:58 PM
    That's troubling! My passport randomly opens applications when it's in my pocket. The swipe to unlock option is turned off. I take it out and unlock it only to find my contacts app is open or password keeper. Should I get new jeans?

Also wearing converse jeans at work with passport in the pocket makes my passport screen sweat and shut down due to "excessive" heat.

Windermere
    11-15-14 03:04 PM
    Yes and I've noticed the same from a couple Samsung tablets I've owned as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 03:09 PM
    You can do this on Note 3. Maybe heat has something to do with it? Idk. I used to try and complete my unlock pattern on my Note 3 without actually touching the screen for fun lol

The Amazing Passport is charging, Posted via Q10
    11-15-14 03:14 PM
    That's the hidden air wave feature... lol

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-15-14 03:52 PM
    I think Passport doesn't use that touch on glass technology that was being used in z10s.. hence the fact that during those drop tests Passport screen was still responsive after being shattered..

After having numerous z10s rendered useless when screens broke, I am glad that Passport screen is the way it is...)

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 04:08 PM
    This has happens to me on my Z30 and on my iPod touch, never happened on my Z10 though. I always thought it was heat sensitive as my hands are usually warm for whatever reason, so it was picking up the heat before I actually touched the screen. But I don't really know. Maybe the static as others were saying.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    11-15-14 04:23 PM
    No luck here. lol
    11-15-14 04:27 PM
    Happens on my Z30 semi regularly

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8 / Against The Grain 2BD93EEE
    11-15-14 04:32 PM
    I don't really think capacitive touch screens have anything to do with heat sensors. Just how conductive the surface of your fingers are relative to the screen's surface (which distorts the screen's electrostatic field).

As some have hypothesized, more likely is the variations (more specifically, the lack) of humidity in the air which allow static potential build up on the skin surface. The same built up static charge that cause the dreaded door-knob "shock" is likely enough to also disturb the capacitive screen's electrostatic field, and thus be detected as a touch. That being said, I'm surprised this happens with the Passport as you would think the steel bands would discharge any potential before you could touch the screen.

I imagine as winter rolls in, more people are experiencing dry indoor environments, which will lead to this type of phenomena.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 06:36 PM
    Wait r u a wizard
    11-15-14 06:42 PM
    It happens to me every once in awhile on my z30

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-15-14 06:52 PM
    I don't really think capacitive touch screens have anything to do with heat sensors. Just how conductive the surface of your fingers are relative to the screen's surface (which distorts the screen's electrostatic field).

As some have hypothesized, more likely is the variations (more specifically, the lack) of humidity in the air which allow static potential build up on the skin surface. The same built up static charge that cause the dreaded door-knob "shock" is likely enough to also disturb the capacitive screen's electrostatic field, and thus be detected as a touch. That being said, I'm surprised this happens with the Passport as you would think the steel bands would discharge any potential before you could touch the screen.

I imagine as winter rolls in, more people are experiencing dry indoor environments, which will lead to this type of phenomena.

Posted via CB10
    Now did you have to go injecting all of that scientific reasoning in here? It was fun to read about heat and sweat, magic

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 07:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    I also think so. I have had few untouched reaction on my passport and I get those shock he mentioned pretty bad in winter. OP, do you get those shock?

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.1154
    11-15-14 07:27 PM