Got a Galaxy S6 Edge for work. Damn this is a nice phone. Just works great. The screen is awesome. The size is great. Thin and light but not wimpy. It is blazingly super fast and the battery charges extra quick. The best thing is that all the apps work with no lags and no worries. (Trust me, I am an experienced sideloader and android patcher) Uber, Hangouts, Lyft.

Don't get me wrong. I loved and still love my passport. I bought it on day one as John Chen announced it. But the sim card now sits in the Edge.

From the passport, I miss:

1) The clean, integrated professional hub
    2) The calendar. Just awesome.
    3) The touch keyboard. Not so much the typing, but the fact that you don't need to touch the screen as much to scroll.
    4) I still use Blend. Even if the PP is at home, I love using blend.

Surprise things I love about the Edge:

1) Camera. Fast, awesome pics.
    2) I love the fingerprint unlock
    3) The world clock UI is great. There's a spinning globe you can pick cities from. (TAT, you could have done it like this!)
    4) The Edge screen. Kinda new, but definitely has potential (BB Slider... looking at you!)

Come on BB, make that slider a killer with a legit android runtime!
    nick13b and NUNOABSILVA like this.
    04-17-15 02:28 AM
    You will be back. I went Android as well and here I am back in black with BlackBerry. I checked out the Galaxy 6. It's a very nice phone but about as close as it can be to being an iPhone 6 without actually being one. I see which market they are reaching out to.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 03:15 AM
    Got a Galaxy S6 Edge for work. Damn this is a nice phone. Just works great. The screen is awesome. The size is great. Thin and light but not wimpy. It is blazingly super fast and the battery charges extra quick. The best thing is that all the apps work with no lags and no worries. (Trust me, I am an experienced sideloader and android patcher) Uber, Hangouts, Lyft.

Don't get me wrong. I loved and still love my passport. I bought it on day one as John Chen announced it. But the sim card now sits in the Edge.

3) The touch keyboard. Not so much the typing, but the fact that you don't need to touch the screen as much to scroll.

3) The world clock UI is great. There's a spinning globe you can pick cities from. (TAT, you could have done it like this!)
    4) The Edge screen. Kinda new, but definitely has potential (BB Slider... looking at you!)

Just wait for the "Glide" the upcoming BB10 slider and you will be back before you will realize it

Posted via CB10
    anon(5990673) and Me2 like this.
    04-17-15 04:08 AM
    The S6 isn't a big deal. In a couple of months they'll be talking about the next big thing. It's all about the money. What can they do to get you money out of your pocket, and into theirs.
    Passport relegated to #2 - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge-acb.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 04:29 AM
    Nice looking phone. I'll be bored with it in a week. I know how Android and Samsung works and I'm not a fan of either.
    04-17-15 04:49 AM
    The first thing I saw people complaining about is the battery life :-).

I myself had a note 4 and I loved it but when I had to switch to passport due to company policy I felt bad. But after one month of usage I am so glad that I am using a passport it's just amazing. I do miss watching videos on a bigger screen but hey you can't have everything.
    Samsung is not consistent and you will feel outdated in no time. Their features work on certain apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 05:15 AM
    I don't understand why companies are racing to add CPU's. Does the phone feel 2x or even 1.5x times faster? From benchmarks I've seen, it's barely 5% faster in web browsing and gaming which are the areas that might need additional processing power. How much faster does it feel than the S5 which has a CPU similar to the Passport?

Since this tech might be employed in the slider…

I suppose the edge display could work well with the Hub but I was really hoping BlackBerry would remain the only sensible company in the market and avoid the 2K display trend by sticking to a 1080p display. The extra ppi would not have been missed since this form factor is aimed primarily at "watching videos without black bars." Battery life would also have been unimpeachable with the 3600+ mAH battery! I can understand why 1440 width was necessary for the Passport because it's wider and intended for better text / publishing / editing.

If this (exorbitant) 8-core Exynos ends up in the Slider, I'll argue that it would have been better for BlackBerry to stick with the Passport CPU and direct the extra funds towards discounting the Leap or adding the features to it which startups might miss (NFC, HDMI / Slimport, USB-OTG).
    DonTonyB likes this.
    04-17-15 07:02 AM
    I don't understand why companies are racing to add CPU's. Does the phone feel 2x or even 1.5x times faster? From benchmarks I've seen, it's barely 5% faster in web browsing and gaming which are the areas that might need additional processing power. How much faster does it feel than the S5 which has a CPU similar to the Passport?

Since this tech might be employed in the slider�

I suppose the edge display could work well with the Hub but I was really hoping BlackBerry would remain the only sensible company in the market and avoid the 2K display trend by sticking to a 1080p display. The extra ppi would not have been missed since this form factor is aimed primarily at "watching videos without black bars." Battery life would also have been unimpeachable with the 3600+ mAH battery! I can understand why 1440 width was necessary for the Passport because it's wider and intended for better text / publishing / editing.

If this (exorbitant) 8-core Exynos ends up in the Slider, I'll argue that it would have been better for BlackBerry to stick with the Passport CPU and direct the extra funds towards discounting the Leap or adding the features to it which startups might miss (NFC, HDMI / Slimport, USB-OTG).
    Because it adds value to their product for their customer... and people likes to buy products with more value.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-17-15 07:10 AM
    I tested the Edge at work for a few days but I like the BlackBerry OS more than Android, must say the EDGE looks nice and different and also the battery died very quick ,Lucky there is a quick charger but who wanted to take the whole time his charger . The battery is worser that the S5.

The S6 series als has no memoy SD slot so that is also different. The rear glass panel is allready easy to break and the Phone build quility is as worse as the iPhone 6 and that one is also not great. I still agree the look of the edge is SF but after a few days I'm glad going back to black ,whatever people saying it's the best new OS out there.

I used android daily since 1.4 and tested it before but since 2012 when I tested the OS the first time it had not past by Android or ios but it had potential, since last year Android is far behind and ios steps up his game but still buggy and BlackBerry OS stept up big time when OS 10.3.1 was released. It's not only the OS but also the hardware like good battery, good reception, good speakers and mics and build quality is excellent. Other platforms have more apps, so what
    04-17-15 07:32 AM
    I must admit the edge looks and feels nice but blackberry is growing on me again. My galaxy lagged so bad and it felt like it was falling apart more and more after each month. I love the weight and feel of the passport... if only there were a few more apps.

Posted via CB10
    Me2 likes this.
    04-17-15 07:41 AM
    There is not one app that I couldn't find and all off them work perfectly after 10.3.1. The only app that I get to work is google plus other than I am not sure which app are you looking for.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 08:28 AM

Since this tech might be employed in the slider…

For one it helps future proof the phone but I'm not sure it really adds value because most people are on to the next big thing in 2 years or less.
    04-17-15 08:34 AM
    I share the opinion that these Samsung features add little value besides specs comparison and perhaps some future-proofing.

It seems as if BlackBerry is trying too hard to be as cool as their new rich friend when they don't really need to. It's fine to learn and benefit from each other but we shouldn't lose ourselves completely.

"Best, newest specs" is Samsung's thing and they can afford it. BlackBerry should hold on to their "Practical, efficienct, secure, productive" cornerstones.

Question to the OP or anyone whose used the S6: what do you think of the display compared to Passport? I sometimes wonder whether some just assume AMOLED is better because Samsung says so.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-15 08:53 AM
    I share the opinion that these Samsung features add little value besides specs comparison and perhaps some future-proofing.

It seems as if BlackBerry is trying too hard to be as cool as their new rich friend when they don't really need to. It's fine to learn and benefit from each other but we shouldn't lose ourselves completely.

"Best, newest specs" is Samsung's thing and they can afford it. BlackBerry should hold on to their "Practical, efficienct, secure, productive" cornerstones.

Question to the OP or anyone whose used the S6: what do you think of the display compared to Passport? I sometimes wonder whether some just assume AMOLED is better because Samsung says so.
    I used to have a note 4 and switching to a passport didn't make it different in fact I feel the passport has more natural colors.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 08:59 AM
    Nice post.

The Edge does look nice and the UI.

My biggest reason for liking my Passport is format and keyboard. I've always hated paddle phones.

Just and FYI....my daughter works for a big tech company in Toronto that builds most of the big tech company apps. They tease her for using a BlackBerry but also tell her it's the best OS out there.

BB Proud
    04-17-15 09:02 AM
    Blackberry hub will be coming in few months on ios and android. So you should be even more pleased!! I think calendar too, I am not sure about this one.
    The EDGE is a beautiful piece.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 09:03 AM
    Because it adds value to their product for their customer... and people likes to buy products with more value.

Or it removes value from their products, but they're targeting ppl who can't figure such things out.

CPU/raw compute power isn't the limiting factor on most phones these days.
    More CPU == higher battery drain rate, higher device cost, higher heat signature etc, etc.

As a previous poster mentioned, you get diminishing returns... put in a CPU with TIPs (tera ops/second) and it won't be faster than current phones, but will need a backpack for the battery if you want it to last a day.

The bragging rights of having a phone with a processor with more crunch power than skynet isn't worth the trade-offs. and there are _ always_ trade-offs.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 09:23 AM
    The S6 isn't a big deal. In a couple of months they'll be talking about the next big thing. It's all about the money. What can they do to get you money out of your pocket, and into theirs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acb.jpg 
Views:	5963 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	347896

Posted via CB10
    Very true. I remember being on samsung. It feels pretty terrible when they come out with another phone that trumps the last one. They even use the prior as a benchmark. I'm not just talking S5 to S6, I'm saying Note 4 to S6. They make you feel like the phone you just purchased a few months ago is useless.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 09:36 AM
    It's crazy to see how apple and Samsung have such similar products now.
    04-17-15 09:38 AM
    The Edge does look nice. I had the s5 , iPhone 5s and ran back to berry.
    04-17-15 09:42 AM
    For one it helps future proof the phone but I'm not sure it really adds value because most people are on to the next big thing in 2 years or less.
    It really depends on how you define value. To me future proof is already one of value elements.

On the top of that, the performance improvement is the greater value you will experience with better hardware components. I have used Z10, Z30 and Passport, they all have the same software so software experience is comparable. But the differences in hardware made huge difference in user experience.

People keeps buying the next big thing mostly not because it's new, but because it's better.

04-17-15 09:50 AM
    It really depends on how you define value. To me future proof is already one of value elements.

On the top of that, the performance improvement is the greater value you will experience with better hardware components. I have used Z10, Z30 and Passport, they all have the same software so software experience is comparable. But the differences in hardware made huge difference in user experience.

People keeps buying the next big thing mostly not because it's new, but because it's better.

For sure. But not everyone can afford to buy the next big thing and what they have is satisfactory to them until they can get a new device which is usually when their contract is up for renewal.
    04-17-15 10:07 AM
    It is the shiny new toy syndrome... consumerism is based on consuming. so all these companies have to keep bringing out bigger and better to make you think you are missing out. Smartphones all do the same functions give and take... in the end it is personal preference. One thing I have found is that once the "newness' wears off.. the second guessing begins... flaws and annoyances become clearer. The term is honeymoon phase.....As much as I have an Iphone 6 for work... I use my trusty Z30 as my daily driver simply because it does what I want the best. If Apple or Sammy comes out with a phone that over the long run does it better than BB I would switch in a heartbeat... My needs would have to change radically for that to happen ... but one never knows.. I for one and not impressed by all the shines and glitters.... In the end it is what works best for me... not brand or newness....
    04-17-15 10:17 AM
    The galaxy s6 and the edge looks like an IPhone running Android OS. I wonder if they even have a design team in the company. The only innovation they did is with the galaxy note edge. Samsung will Samesung forever.

Posted via CB10
    beamolite likes this.
    04-17-15 10:32 AM

Stupid! Stupidity! Stupider!!!
    No micro sd expansion slot!?!? Epic fail in my opinion!

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 04-17-15 at 03:39 PM.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    04-17-15 11:03 AM
121 123 ...