Hey gang,

So iPhone has an official launch date now, and it's in September. What does this mean for the Passport launch?

Will it be before Sept 9? Or after?

Is the thunder now lost?

Wondering, and still eagerly awaiting the passport!

J
    08-29-14 09:17 AM
    I believe I have seen October as the date for release of the Passport.
    08-29-14 09:37 AM
    In Germany it's a rumor, that VF will release the passport end of september
    08-29-14 09:53 AM
    Really don't think it matters. When it comes it comes.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    ibpluto and LoneStarRed like this.
    08-29-14 10:21 AM
    One has very little to do with the other, in my opinion. Pretty much two different customers - don't think it makes a difference.
    LoneStarRed and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    08-29-14 10:33 AM
    Since BlackBerry is incapable of releasing devices on time and in any sort of effective fashion, you can expect the Passport launch to happen in late September, followed by actual retail availability about 1 - 1.5 months later, and only in select markets.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 10:53 AM
    Yeah, that's pretty much how they do it.
    08-29-14 11:01 AM
    I actually would prefer to see a late-September - early October launch for the Passport.

This will let the dust from the iPhone launch to settle and make the Passport get the attention it deserves.
    08-29-14 11:01 AM
    Hey gang,

So iPhone has an official launch date now, and it's in September. What does this mean for the Passport launch?

Will it be before Sept 9? Or after?

Is the thunder now lost?

Wondering, and still eagerly awaiting the passport!

J
    What thunder? the passport will sell in the thousands, the iphone in the millions, releasing it before or after will not have any impact on sales. People here are too optimistic about the Passport, it will follow the same sale path as all other BB10 devices. Here it will be hailed as a success but when you take into account what the other guys sell, it will be a total flop.
    SK122387, Karben and boeingrules like this.
    08-29-14 11:07 AM
    There was an article here on Crackberry mentioning BlackBerry requested information to not be released until September 12th. September 12th may be the date that BlackBerry officially announces the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 11:09 AM
    September 12th?? Three days after the iPhone 6 launches?? About twelve people are even going to notice the Passport release. Those twelve are probably regular posters on Crackberry.
    anon5288998 likes this.
    08-29-14 11:48 AM
    There was an article here on Crackberry mentioning BlackBerry requested information to not be released until September 12th. September 12th may be the date that BlackBerry officially announces the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    The Iphone 6 and Passport are aimed at two totally different market groups. BBRY is NOT in the consumer market, no amount of hoping and praying is going to change this fact. BBRY is going after business customers, first, second and last. we as a community need to stop thinking BBRY is going to change simply because we want them to. Can consumers get a passport, sure, is that the "target" audience.....not in the least.

remember Chen said the company could be profitable selling 10 million phones a year, that is with the focus on Enterprise, Consumers will come later.
    Rob1, blusls and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    08-29-14 12:30 PM
    September 12th?? Three days after the iPhone 6 launches?? About twelve people are even going to notice the Passport release. Those twelve are probably regular posters on Crackberry.
    That is what will happen no matter when it launches. People waiting for it will notice the launch. People not waiting for it won't notice it until/unless they see someone with one and say "WTH is THAT?". With the staggered launches by region that BB usually does, the announcement is pretty lack-luster.
    08-29-14 12:32 PM
    BlackBerry should send representatives with Passports, foldable chairs and food to main Apple stores around the region the day/night before the iPhone 6 launch. A few hours showing it around those lineups alone would probably increase the total number of people that even know that BlackBerry "still makes phones" tenfold.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 12:50 PM
    The Iphone 6 and Passport are aimed at two totally different market groups. BBRY is NOT in the consumer market, no amount of hoping and praying is going to change this fact. BBRY is going after business customers, first, second and last. we as a community need to stop thinking BBRY is going to change simply because we want them to. Can consumers get a passport, sure, is that the "target" audience.....not in the least.

remember Chen said the company could be profitable selling 10 million phones a year, that is with the focus on Enterprise, Consumers will come later.
    Blackberry is in the consumer market otherwise you will not see the devices at carriers stores since Enterprise do not buy from stores. They chose to "refocus" on enterprise because they failed in the consumer market, which is the most important and the most lucrative. Stop saying they focus on this and not that without underscore their failures in provide cutting edge devices and not a just email centric device which fails and everything else. Consumers will not come back if the devices they offer will not be much better and what they have in the pipeline cannot compete not even with last year flagships.
    08-29-14 12:54 PM
    as usual
    08-29-14 02:30 PM
    September 12th?? Three days after the iPhone 6 launches??
    I would think that JC would want to give himself at least a week after the iPhone event even since everything about smartphone is seen in a different light after that event and it would be good to formulate some kind of alternative.
    08-29-14 02:37 PM
    I would think that JC would want to give himself at least a week after the iPhone event even since everything about smartphone is seen in a different light after that event and it would be good to formulate some kind of alternative.
    I would think a week BEFORE the iPhone would be better, but a week or so after would be the bare minimum for distancing the Passport launch from the iPhone hoopla.
    08-29-14 03:57 PM
    I think they should launch on the same day as the iPhone. If nothing else, it might get some notice -- as a ridiculous day to launch a new BlackBerry phone.

I get that they're different target markets and all that jazz, I was mainly wondering how JC and crew might play this one.. it is the first flagship launch under his direction. I'm not naiive enough to think one device is going to put BlackBerry back on top, just curious since they've been saying Sept for some time now and only recently has the iPhone launch date been confirmed. Does this change any plans they might have had? We're they expecting to release at the same time as iPhone? Does it matter?
    08-29-14 04:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's when the embargo on the full FCC data falls. Not exactly a huge indicator but worthy of a mention. In any case, at this point it doesn't matter when the Passport gets announced relative to the iPhone. It is what it was. The whole month of Sept. is screwed if you look beyond Apple.

The fact this very thread concentrates solely on Apple and totally forgets the fact IFA is also happening in Berlin shows Apple will always have the attention. Even amongst those who 'dislike' the company and their products, apparently lol.
    Melinium likes this.
    08-29-14 04:26 PM
    BlackBerry should send representatives with Passports, foldable chairs and food to main Apple stores around the region the day/night before the iPhone 6 launch. A few hours showing it around those lineups alone would probably increase the total number of people that even know that BlackBerry "still makes phones" tenfold.

Posted via CB10
    And that wouldn't cost them a fortune either.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 04:40 PM
    That's when the embargo on the full FCC data falls. Not exactly a huge indicator but worthy of a mention. In any case, at this point it doesn't matter when the Passport gets announced relative to the iPhone. It is what it was. The whole month of Sept. is screwed if you look beyond Apple.

The fact this very thread concentrates solely on Apple and totally forgets the fact IFA is also happening in Berlin shows Apple will always have the attention. Even amongst those who 'dislike' the company and their products, apparently lol.
    In fairness most people here are Canadians and Americans and probably have never heard of IFA to begin with.
    08-29-14 05:03 PM
    Blackberry is in the consumer market otherwise you will not see the devices at carriers stores since Enterprise do not buy from stores. They chose to "refocus" on enterprise because they failed in the consumer market, which is the most important and the most lucrative. Stop saying they focus on this and not that without underscore their failures in provide cutting edge devices and not a just email centric device which fails and everything else. Consumers will not come back if the devices they offer will not be much better and what they have in the pipeline cannot compete not even with last year flagships.
    The consumer market is not the focus at this time. That doesn't mean that consumers won't be able to get phones, but the is not what blackberry is targeting. The fact that they failed in the past, is a big reason why they are not pushing towards that segment of the population with the Passport. BBRY can be profitable as an enterprise centric company whether we think that is the way they should go or not.

BBRY is NOT going to overtake either IOS or Android in the short term, so pushing towards a market segment that HATES all things BBRY, makes no sense.

BBRY can make enough money to survive and grow in the enterprise market, which will then enable them to move more fully into the consumer market.

As for seeing phones at the carrier stores in the past 2 months while working to get my Q10 repaired/replaced, I was inside 5 different Sprint stores both corporate and otherwise, guess what.....not a single blackberry in sight, every store would have to order a phone, as they had ZERO stock.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 06:33 PM

It doesn't matter

Passport is aimed at the enterprise, COOL!!!!, but please tell me how much it would hurt if it actualy sells a few thousands to the consumer? In the early days of Blackberry as a mainly enterprise, there were already a lot of consumers buying them
    user5240 likes this.
    08-29-14 07:11 PM
    I never said that wouldn't hurt. I personally WANT to get a passport(i am a consumer). But some people on here thing that should be the focus, and it is not.

Think of it this way, your in physical therapy for a broken hip, which do you need to do first, learn to walk again, or just start running? Let's let BlackBerry learn to walk before we want them to run.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 07:34 AM
61 123