Everybody here knows the passport will not be cheap. In fact it will be price around the same as an iphone or galaxy and thats why it will fail. Don't get me wrong. I'm a former blackberry user looking forward to try bb10. But thats the reality here. Blackberry still lack behind android and ios in terms of apps. People will always prefer a galaxy or iphone if it cost the same as the passport. That's why they need to get their price right at the begining, otherwise it will be a flop, another to the list.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-28-14 05:57 AM
    1. Passport is new, unique and is being marketed pretty well for a BlackBerry

2. We now have android apps that'll run just like on an Android phone because the passport has amazing specs

People will buy this and understand that BlackBerry is good. Some will switch and tell their friends how good it is and then they'll probably switch to bb

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 06:29 AM
    I have to agree with OP on this. BlackBerry has lost its ball game a while ago, and if they really need to pull it off is by lowering the price tag IMO. Nowadays most consumers look at price tag then its productivity, since majority of regular users have little or limited knowledge about modern gadgets. They usually just walk into retail store and buy what most popular devices.

BlackBerry Z10 10.2.1.3175
    Cracklen likes this.
    07-28-14 06:42 AM
    I have to agree with OP on this. BlackBerry has lost its ball game a while ago, and if they really need to pull it off is by lowering the price tag IMO. Nowadays most consumers look at price tag then its productivity, since majority of regular users have little or limited knowledge about modern gadgets. They usually just walk into retail store and buy what most popular devices.

BlackBerry Z10 10.2.1.3175
    The Passport is not a consumer device as designed.
    07-28-14 07:30 AM
    I think it will be around $749,just like the new Sony phone,and don't be surprised.The stock market is almost sure to reward BB and Chen come September 's ER and people are going to know BB is definitely not going out of business,thus paving the way for a successful launch of the passport at top $.Of course it would be nice and probably not make much difference if it came out at a lower price,but BB is back ,and this is not meant for emerging markets,so save a little more money and be prepared.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    07-28-14 07:48 AM
    I think the higher it is priced, the more it will be valuable/estimated/considered/respected/talked about/praised...
    Naturally, it won't be immediately bought... It will be a deception for those who want it but can't afford it...
    But prices will drop someday...
    I started to put some euros aside... My target is 650 euros, may be in 10 months sim free/unlocked or earlier if my provider supports it!
    I/we have to be patient!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-28-14 08:08 AM
    Most people will be buying on contract anyway, meaning they're going to pay 199, just like every new phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 08:12 AM
    Most people will be buying on contract anyway, meaning they're going to pay 199, just like every new phone.

Posted via CB10
    My hope, too!

07-28-14 08:13 AM
    You're wrong. BlackBerry doesn't need to lower the price tag on every phone they sell. They need to have premium phones and they need to have economical phones. The mistake at launch was that everything was premium and there were no economical devices, hence why sales weren't that good. If you're looking for economical, you now have a choice: get a Z3 or Z10. If you want premium, it'll be the Passport.
    07-28-14 08:15 AM
    The OP is completely correct. Honestly, to say otherwise is to be completely ignorant of the reality. If one had to choose between an iPhone 6 and Blackberry Passport at the same price point, one should choose the iPhone 6. It's the more economical choice as the resale value stays high. In the meantime the Passport will drop and by reselling the iPhone one could easily afford the Passport.

Obviously, I can speak for myself only for certain, but if the Passport comes in at a high price, I won't be buying it at or near launch. If it takes too long to drop I may not buy it at all. I'm not rich enough to waste my money like I did on the Z10. There are very good phones out there for much better prices and Blackberry needs to be competitive. They are not in a position to charge premium prices.

Is the Passport a good device for me? Absolutely, I spend most of my work day consuming emails and documents on my phone. I'm definitely the target market too, but I am not a fool.

lift, Ouattsm and keypad like this.
    07-28-14 09:24 AM
    I saw a source from Twitter that said $600 for the Passport and $350 for the Classic both off contract. We will see. I'm sure Blackberry has learned from the Z10 flop on pricing. If that was the case, we wouldn't have a cheap Z3.
    07-28-14 09:28 AM
    Not sure what you folks are expecting. I would expect it will be $199 with a contract. Getting your hopes up for anything else will end with disappointment.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 09:31 AM
    I going to say the opposite. Maybe i need to start a thread "Passport pricing could be a possible success." One of these, non-specific assertions will be right.

In summary: another useless thread.
    07-28-14 09:32 AM
    I going to say the opposite. Maybe i need to start a thread "Passport pricing could be a possible success." One of these, non-specific assertions will be right.

Go ahead. It won't make the argument made by the OP any weaker. Fact is that Blackberry does not command premium pricing. They are a bottom feeder ATM and need to conform to that for now. Once they regain some market presence by all means charge more if you continue to make premium devices.

lift likes this.
    07-28-14 09:36 AM
    Let's wait and see... speculation brings to nowhere... posting about low prices to make it sell will not influence the decision makers... BlackBerry knows "we want the Passport and would pay for it"!

07-28-14 09:39 AM
    I think the higher it is priced, the more it will be valuable/estimated/considered/respected/talked about/praised...
    Naturally, it won't be immediately bought... It will be a deception for those who want it but can't afford it...
    But prices will drop someday...
    I started to put some euros aside... My target is 650 euros, may be in 10 months sim free/unlocked or earlier if my provider supports it!
    I/we have to be patient!

I agree. We need this to be "special" Only those who are serious and special will get this phone. To do otherwise would only cheapen the brand. Toss in some Amazon App store money as a promo to prove to people that it works but aside from that, as long as it's cheaper than the Porche design models, BlackBerry will have created something very exclusive that everybody will wish they could have. It's legend and BlackBerrys' an exclusive brand will be restored and BlackBerry will become "cool" again. Okay dream over.
    07-28-14 09:53 AM
    Not necessarily. AT&T never offered the Z30, and TM is out of the BBRY game altogether. There is no guarantee that the Passport will be picked up by any particular carrier. Without the subsidy, sales will be severely handicapped if pricing is too high.
    lift likes this.
    07-28-14 09:57 AM
    Agree with OP. Passport could be a huge success if priced right. IMO it will fail miserably if priced too high, but we'll have to wait and see.
    07-28-14 10:25 AM
    Go ahead. It won't make the argument made by the OP any weaker. Fact is that Blackberry does not command premium pricing. They are a bottom feeder ATM and need to conform to that for now. Once they regain some market presence by all means charge more if you continue to make premium devices.

You are being rather preposterous, ain't you? What facts do you have to support that the Passport is not a premium device or will not be perceived and embraced as a premium device?
    07-28-14 10:27 AM
    Everybody here knows the passport will not be cheap. In fact it will be price around the same as an iphone or galaxy and thats why it will fail. Don't get me wrong. I'm a former blackberry user looking forward to try bb10. But thats the reality here. Blackberry still lack behind android and ios in terms of apps. People will always prefer a galaxy or iphone if it cost the same as the passport. That's why they need to get their price right at the begining, otherwise it will be a flop, another to the list.

Time will tell, OP. We shall all soon find out.
    07-28-14 10:30 AM

Thank you must have read my mind lol!

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    07-28-14 10:41 AM
    Hold on guys...
    Here'the facts
    1. The devices not launched yet.
    2. You only gave your speculation, and its not a facts
    3. We need to wait until Sept.
    4. Everybody say they have their own source for info, and i'll take it as a BS. We never know exactly.
    5. JC or team BlackBerry isn't bunch of 1di0t, they know what they doin.
    6. Stop worrying and stop giving any unreliable information.
    7. End of disscusion and stop arguing.

Peace y'all

Drooling for BlackBerry Passport!
    07-28-14 10:44 AM
    Well I never thought of it this way.........kidding.

Seriously yet another thread on this?

The Passport Is a very unique top notch device with an innovative hardware keyboard. It will be priced appropriately premium because it is premium and whoever appreciates the form factor and differences will pay the price. That's it, nothing left to say. Price undercutting is appropriate for all touch devices like Windows Phones or the Z3, but not for a device with a 1:1 full hd screen and capacitive hardware keyboard and top of the line specs.

"We're a premium brand that hereby introduces one unique hell of a device and it's cheap" or what? No.
    07-28-14 10:48 AM
    OP..The Passport is not expected to be marketed to the general consumers that compromise the Android or iPhone user base. If BlackBerry does what they say they'll do, which is focus their efforts on a smaller segment of the market, (primarily business, corporate and private users that value communications management offered by BlackBerry), that's the segment they'll be judged against.

Your mom, pop, teen are not the target market for the passport. The price point will be contentious regardless of the price they choose. Too low, and investors and the market won't like it. Too high and consumers won't like it.

I'm waiting until it's released, tried it out and know what the price is before I need to worry about it. Until then, crystal balling on BlackBerry fails is a waste of time imo.
    undone, currentodysseys and keypad like this.
    07-28-14 11:00 AM
    You are being rather preposterous, ain't you? What facts do you have to support that the Passport is not a premium device or will not be perceived and embraced as a premium device?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=preposterous

As for the facts...I would prefer that you think of it as logical deduction more so than factual truth. We are after all talking about an unreleased device and anything could (in theory) happen. However, let's break this down a bit...

1. Is the Passport a premium device when compared to other devices currently in the market? The answer would be "it depends". Spec wise it's not bleeding edge. It's 2013. However it is so different from traditional devices and the fact that it includes the capacitive keyboard makes it stand out. For 2013 the device would be considered premium. However, it's 2014 now and a whole new generation of devices with better displays, longer battery life, better cameras, and more bells and whistles are coming. How does the Passport compare to these? It undoubtedly feels 2013. Single LED flash, average camera, OK display. Innovative form factor and a neat keyboard for sure, but again this is right now an own niche. Nobody is comparing to Blackberry since nobody makes a similar device. Overall, the Passport is definitely a premium Blackberry device, but in a larger context it's just another phone with an unproven design by a struggling company, which leads us to (2) below...

2. Blackberry has no brand presence. The perception is that they are a dinosaur. Their ecosystem is limited and will be even with the Amazon partnership. Amazon's ecosystem is limited. It is undoubtedly better than that of Blackberry, but still not even close to App Store or Google Play. The price has to factor in brand presence and perception.

At the end of the day what we have is an unproven, albeit innovative, device by a struggling company with terrible brand presence and so-so fan base. Do you really think premium pricing will help put the device in more people's hands with this in mind?

07-28-14 11:01 AM
141 123 ...