So I had the passport in my shopping cart. Between putting it there and giving them my money information, I got an error.

So I called the online store's help number to figure out WTF happened. Answer seems to be *something* on the order of "We have too many orders", they did not specifically confirm that they were sold out, and they could not confirm that they were told to take it down.

It's gone from their site, and the original link now redirects back to the landing page.

And since I didn't get to *pay* yet, I don't get it
    09-16-14 07:36 AM
    I can see this happening a lot. With BBRY coming out with a limited amount of devices each week it should give a lot of people the back order.
    09-16-14 07:44 AM
    wow! It could also be bb ordering their devices before launch

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 07:45 AM
    Why would they do that when people like me are sitting around doing this:

Passport Pre-Orders just sold out at MediaMarkt.de-shut-up-take-my-money.jpg
    09-16-14 07:47 AM
    This has to be the most used graphics on this site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg 
Views:	5422 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	298178
    technomance and walt63 like this.
    09-16-14 07:49 AM
    The Adherents of the Repeated Meme.
    09-16-14 07:50 AM
    are we talking about 50 pre-orders, or more like 1000 who will say....
    09-16-14 07:55 AM
    Hope its a lot of pre orders
    09-16-14 09:52 AM
    Obviously they wouldn't tell you that the link is gone because it was a leak. That's the real reason and not number of pre orders.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    09-16-14 10:03 AM
    are we talking about 50 pre-orders, or more like 1000 who will say....
    more than anticipated sounds good

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 10:13 AM
    Obviously they wouldn't tell you that the link is gone because it was a leak. That's the real reason and not number of pre orders.
    That's what I thought, so I kept rephrasing and asking questions, eventually demanded to be able to get the thing since I was in the middle of paying for it. They said they had no more units to sell, and no, they could not tell me how many had been stocked. But they very explicitly told me they "did not know anything" about being asked to take it down by somebody higher up, they could not see that information, etc. So it could be that.
    09-16-14 10:13 AM
    Interesting bit of news. It would be nice to think that it has something to do with pre orders but my suspicion is that Blackberry probably asked them to take down the order platform. Sort of makes sense.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    09-16-14 10:14 AM
    Sincerely hoping this is the case, so I can get my hands on one ASAP instead of signing up for yet another waiting list...
    Interesting bit of news. It would be nice to think that it has something to do with pre orders but my suspicion is that Blackberry probably asked them to take down the order platform. Sort of makes sense.
    09-16-14 10:16 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg 
Views:	5422 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	298178
    @Technomance

You are having a rocking start :-)

You seems Passportromance
    09-16-14 11:16 AM
    Now is our turn and our moment!!! Keep Walking!!
    09-16-14 12:24 PM
    The passport probably will sell out at many retailers. It's built by BlackBerry not foxcon, BlackBerry wont be sitting on warehouses full of passports (this time hopefully)
    I suspect this retailer put the link up without checking what BlackBerry could supply them. If they accepted 50 pre orders then realised BlackBerry would only commit to provide 20 based on the fact the retailer has history of only selling 10 BlackBerry a month or they had only indicated they would order 5 to 10 then they would have to remove the link to avoid embarrassment.
    Last edited by gg bb; 09-16-14 at 03:20 PM.
    09-16-14 01:34 PM
    Bs!

09-16-14 01:37 PM
    Passport is not the last stand for BlackBerry. BlackBerry is much bigger than just phones. Security, BES, enterprise, QNX, and messaging to name a few.

So don't stop try to assume that BlackBerry has put all its eggs in one basket called Passport and there is nothing else. BlackBerry is diversifying their portfolio and phones are become only a small portion of the big picture.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 11:07 PM
    Passport is not the last stand for BlackBerry. BlackBerry is much bigger than just phones. Security, BES, enterprise, QNX, and messaging to name a few.

So don't stop try to assume that BlackBerry has put all its eggs in one basket called Passport and there is nothing else. BlackBerry is diversifying their portfolio and phones are become only a small portion of the big picture.

Posted via CB10
    Precisely why the hardware division has to prove itself, or it will be easily discarded.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 11:19 PM
    Precisely why the hardware division has to prove itself, or it will be easily discarded.

Posted via CB10
    Only needs 10+ million unit per year to remain profitable. More than likely they'll keep reaching that number and BB10 will hit a sweet spot eventually.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-16-14 11:43 PM
    ... where as a random German shop selling out of an unknown (but certainly small) quantity of the BlackBerry Passport...

Posted via CB10
    The "random german shop" is europe's biggest retailer , just sayin'. You make it seem like some "Joe's tech corner" shop...
    09-17-14 05:54 AM
    Stick to the thread topic, please.
    09-17-14 06:34 AM
    I'm in Germany right now I'll check this out if I remember
    09-17-14 10:59 AM
    The passport probably will sell out at many retailers. It's built by BlackBerry not foxcon, BlackBerry wont be sitting on warehouses full of passports (this time hopefully)
    It would be very, very surprising with Chen's narrowing of channels. The PlayBook and the Z10 write-downs were caused by them stuffing the retail channels with inventory and then having to write down the value of that inventory (ie. lower the price) in order to get it to move through the stores into people's hands.

Retail is an expensive game ... factor in the number of stores, then the fact that they have minimum inventory numbers on hand and you have to build a ton to even sell in this channel.

If Chen is selling Passports through places like corporate resellers instead of retail stores, the inventory exposure is much lower than it was for Z10.
    09-17-14 11:44 AM
    The "random german shop" is europe's biggest retailer , just sayin'. You make it seem like some "Joe's tech corner" shop...
    Ya, ya. It's like Best Buy, just dressed in red.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:08 PM
36 12