yea i know it sounds ridiculous, but i wanted to know how it is as a regular phone.

how are things like dialing phone numbers? holding it to your ear? initiating and ending calls? pulling it out of your pocket to answer an incoming call?

tell any stories that are phone call related.....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-27-14 01:44 PM
    yeah, let's hope it functions well as a phone, huh? lol
    09-27-14 02:06 PM
    Speakerphone is awesome. I used it for 3 calls yesterday and it was crystal clear no complaints. I think it has good noise canceling tech built in.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 02:10 PM
    Oh I have stories for you

So this morning I had to call a friend whose number I know by heart so I picked up the phone and started dialing. First step was to get to the dialer which I got to pretty fast, the next step were the tricky one. Which was to actually press the buttons on the screen. So I started and I got the 8 real quick, 1 was quite away from my thumb but the good part was I was coming right back to the 8 once again. Then it was all fives so I tapped and tapped and tapped on 5 as if my thumb was doing a tap dance routine. Now the last four gave me all sorts of troubles it was 1379 as you will notice on the dialer they are all in four different corners. It took a me awhile to get around the big Passport screen but I managed. At this point the final and the most important part was to actually hit call which was nice, big and green. You wouldn't miss it believe me. As soon as I hit call I picked up the phone and placed it to my ear and it went directly to voice mail and I left him a message asking him to call back.

He hasn't called yet. Will update when he does.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 02:23 PM
    As a real phone I think the Classic will be the best (form factor and toolbelt). But the Passport is a real EMail + Business machine
    Last edited by Q10Bold; 10-04-14 at 01:43 PM.
    09-27-14 02:31 PM
    I found managing calls very easy. But reception, call clarity, noise cancelling, and loud speaker is where the Passport shines! The phone is brilliant for calls. I love the Z30, but this phone is even better for calls. Go BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    09-27-14 02:48 PM
    I find that I use speaker phone and my bluetooth ear piece with my passport far more then I did with my Q10

However I am more than happy with the trade off because emails, Internet, and documents are phenomenally better with the Passport

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    09-27-14 03:13 PM
    I did several phone calls with my Passport since it arrived yesterday. And the quality was brilliant. I also didn't have any troubles in holding the phone and it was comfortable. But this might be related to the size of my hands.

Size and Weight was a concern but completely evaporated once I started using it.
    thymaster likes this.
    09-27-14 03:51 PM
    yea i know it sounds ridiculous, but i wanted to know how it is as a regular phone.

how are things like dialing phone numbers? holding it to your ear? initiating and ending calls? pulling it out of your pocket to answer an incoming call?

Not at all. It's next to impossible to find any reviews on any device that mention call and speakerphone quality. Some of us really use these as phones first!
    09-27-14 10:26 PM
    Seriously, no one can review the phone features??? Blaze???
    09-29-14 06:47 AM
    Oh I have stories for you

So this morning I had to call a friend whose number I know by heart so I picked up the phone and started dialing. First step was to get to the dialer which I got to pretty fast, the next step were the tricky one. Which was to actually press the buttons on the screen. So I started and I got the 8 real quick, 1 was quite away from my thumb but the good part was I was coming right back to the 8 once again. Then it was all fives so I tapped and tapped and tapped on 5 as if my thumb was doing a tap dance routine. Now the last four gave me all sorts of troubles it was 1379 as you will notice on the dialer they are all in four different corners. It took a me awhile to get around the big Passport screen but I managed. At this point the final and the most important part was to actually hit call which was nice, big and green. You wouldn't miss it believe me. As soon as I hit call I picked up the phone and placed it to my ear and it went directly to voice mail and I left him a message asking him to call back.

He hasn't called yet. Will update when he does.

Posted via CB10
    Now that is funny and sarcastic. The main reasons I love CrackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 06:57 AM
    Continuing the seemingly rare trend of actually using this device as a phone, can one dial a call using voice commands from a headset WITHOUT A DATA CONNECTION? Or is this phone like the worthless Samsung crap that can't think for itself.
    03-05-15 04:07 PM
    Is it possible to silence the tone when you dial a number, but still stay on Normal mode?

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2267 (from10.3.0.1418)
    03-05-15 05:34 PM
    No issues with holding it to my ear for phone calls, including some up to half an hour long. It also works really well as a speakerphone for conference calls, very loud and clear. The caveat is that my signal has always been strong (combination of Rogers and the Passport's superior antenna): I have to descend into a basement to lose LTE. I'm unsure how the Passport performs when the signal is more sketchy.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    03-05-15 05:47 PM

It's superb as a phone. When you do a bbm voice call on speaker, you will be gobsmacked! Such clarity.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    03-06-15 11:01 AM
    I have sent my Passport back for a replacement (faulty earphone jack, box opened before, loose USB connector, scratched back).

So, during the wait for a repaired phone or a replacement I have to use my Samsung Galaxy Young 2 that I bought to have something until my Passport gets home again. And, what a difference, compared to the Passport that had me spoiled with everything working so much better, easier and frendlier:
    • The sound quality on the Samsung is so bad that I hardly can hear the other end of a call when outside with traffic going by.
    • The procedure for texting, e-mail and making a call is so weird that I have to think twice to get it right.
    • Sorting e-mail is a nightmare.
    • Surfing is very avoidable.

I miss my Passport...
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    03-06-15 12:36 PM
    Phone? Nah, I use mine as a teletype.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 03:49 PM
    I think this is the most under rated feature of the Passport that we all missed. I haven't seen any reviewers mentioning the call quality of the Passport in details.

I have to say the call quality of the Passport is the best on the market by far. The HD sound technology is pleasantly great either on speaker or headset mode.

In terms of reception, well I've been in many underground parkings and my calls have never dropped once. The phone holds on to signal well and seamlessly switch between LTE and HSDPA without any interruption to the calls.
    03-08-15 04:09 PM
    Call clarity is great. Speakerphone also works very well. Long phone calls are fine. It's quite comfortable in the hand and, despite the width, doesn't look ridiculous.

I prefer dialing on it vs the Q10. I was always bringing up the onscreen numbers in the Q10, which is of course the default on the Passport.

And then there's the stellar battery life. Really, it's just great.
    03-08-15 06:58 PM
    I was always bringing up the onscreen numbers in the Q10, which is of course the default on the Passport.
    Is there a way to use the qwerty to dial? I can't seem to get it to work, although I lost the habit when I moved to the Z10 from the Torch.

03-08-15 07:45 PM
    Is there a way to use the qwerty to dial? I can't seem to get it to work, although I lost the habit when I moved to the Z10 from the Torch.

As far as I could see, I don't think it is possible to dial with KB. But for me personally, don't really matter.

Back to the topic of Passport as a phone, I must say it has one of the best among all the phones I have had. And that includes many recent phones such as iPhone 5s, Lumia 1520, HTC M8, to name a few.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 08:24 PM
    The reason I came back to BlackBerry from a GS4 was for the phone. Stupid samsung thing wouldn't even make calls anymore. The passport has been flawless.!

Posted via CB10
    mbamd likes this.
    03-08-15 08:40 PM

Unfortunately you can't. Though I thought at first you can because in the Calculator app, you can enter numbers using the KB. But yeah, doesn't matter much to me, since most of my contacts are saved. Rarely do I dial a number to call.

03-08-15 10:19 PM
    The reason I came back to BlackBerry from a GS4 was for the phone. Stupid samsung thing wouldn't even make calls anymore. The passport has been flawless.!

Posted via CB10
    Too bad... sometimes they add too much features that the phone capability is overlooked! When it should have been the priority!

03-08-15 10:20 PM
    Continuing the seemingly rare trend of actually using this device as a phone, can one dial a call using voice commands from a headset WITHOUT A DATA CONNECTION? Or is this phone like the worthless Samsung crap that can't think for itself.
    Yes. You can call, play music, and launch applications by voice without a data connection.

Posted via CB10
    hkkelvinlee likes this.
    03-08-15 10:50 PM
31 12