What attracted me was the sharp square shape and physical keyboard. I've been mostly an android user. Used windows for a couple years also. Windows has a good ui but phone design, and lack of, really turned me off to it. I've never really cared about owning a blackberry. The wife actually really loved her bold until it was outdated, but I never cared for the trackpad. Plus blackberry got a bad rep for years after.

Now my single biggest issue with android was too much everything. Too many options, too many choices really. I could never really be happy with one setup. It got so bad that I would end up buying a new phone every few weeks. I like the simplistic design of the passports ui. Gestures feel natural. Everything seems so easy to get to and quick. I don't feel a need to constantly change it.

More so though the physical keyboard has me hooked. Last time I had one on a phone was an old Verizon prepaid slide keyboard. I feel like I can type again without the need to correct and backspace every 3rd word I tried typing on my virtual keyboard. My eyes are free to look at the screen while I type. It's awesome.

With just those and the ability to use android apps, I will be keeping this phone for awhile. My single biggest gripe with this phone is the music though.

The music on the factory app actually sounds halfway decent. But when there's a lot going on, I am a metal listener, everything seems like it gets drowned out. The bass gets lower, the vocals get quieter. It's pretty annoying. I'm not talking about the speakers. They sound pretty good for a loud speaker. I use earbuds, currently trying the headphones they give you with the phone. But this isn't the first time I've experienced this on a phone though. A lot of cheap android phones have terrible music play with headphones. And my initial way to correct this is to download poweramp. This app I swear will make any phone with any crappy set of cheap earbuds sound amazing. I've had enough phones to discern this. So I proceeded to install Snap, poweramp and the purchaser, and hopefully this'll fix my music woes. Well the installation went fine. The app starts and seems to work fine but poweramp refuses to find any music at all. Not even setting what folder to look in, SD card, phone HD, nothing will work. So that went out the window.

After some research I bought neutron. Nothing I did made it sound any better. In fact when I got it to where I like it I compared the same songs using the stock app and the stock app ended up sounding a lot better. There goes $6 in the toilet. I tried a bunch of different android music players after that with the same result. I even downloaded the stock xperia z walkman app. Works and looks great btw, but the eq doesn't change anything. I'm not a huge music listener but I do like music to sound good when I do listen. This is hopefully a software issue and not a hardware one. it's still not enough to make me buy a different phone, but it would be nice for it to be good enough to say this is the best phone I've ever had.

Posted via CB10
    Gatmyer and geekaren like this.
    12-20-14 10:25 AM
    I really like your assessment of the phone. I agree, the music players working on the BlackBerry phones aren't that good. But other then that I they are really great devices.
    geekaren likes this.
    12-20-14 10:15 PM
    I am pretty sure you've already tried this since you love your music so much, but just-in-case, you've tried setting the equaliser to desired option in the default music app, right?

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    12-20-14 10:32 PM
    Hm. I post this thread this morning and it doesn't come up all day until I make I new one then both show up.

But yeah I have it set to electronic. It's the only setting that has decent everything without distortion. It just needs to hit harder and clearer. High bass hits pretty good at low volume but at high it just crackles and makes the volume jump up and down.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:42 PM
    Have you tried the equalizer?

Swipe down from the top while in the music app

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-20-14 10:47 PM
    Passport is my first Blackberry-img_20141220_235406.png it's basically just all presets. No dials or sliders.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:54 PM
    Did you check BlackBerry World. When I checked my apps and games neutron had an update for me. It is possible it's been there for awhile, but just in case, you should check, maybe, just maybe something better is available for you. Personally I found the sound on the Z30 better than the Passport. Not that it helps those of us on the Passport.
    12-20-14 10:57 PM
    Passport is my first Blackberry-img_20141221_000420.png meh.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:04 PM
    I to was a BlackBerry device user for may years and after the period of stalemate started where new BlackBerry's were nolonger produces for a bitt, I too made the switch to android. I migrated to a samsung tablet and galaxy s4 then to the note.

I'm a seasoned user and I know I type correctly BUT I use to rip my hair out at how inaccurate touch typing is on android devices. It was a huge waste of time back spacing to correct text and if you are in a business where rapid and prompt email reply is key, android and ios devices DO NOT cut it!

I love my Passport and will always continue to use a BlackBerry qwerty keyboard device, I won't use anything else.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 07:30 AM