If you have had an opportunity to hold and check out the Passport, what does it feel like to type on the keys?

This is a pretty big concern for me, since I don't expect the Passport to be sitting out on display in AT&T stores.
    I'm worried that the keys will be too soft, if that make sense. ... That little to no pressure will be required to press
    them down.
    08-07-14 02:32 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ebumps-950184/ this guy said it's good

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    08-07-14 02:34 PM
    I hear it feels like a normal BlackBerry keyboard. Fear not. It's a little weird with the keys only being 3 deep and the numbers are on screen only.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by netviper; 08-14-14 at 09:57 PM.
    08-13-14 08:15 PM
    It feels like a normal BlackBerry keyboard. Fear not. It's a little weird with the keys only being 3 deep and the numbers are on screen only.

Posted via CB10
    Well what is the normal BB keyboard? My Q10 feels completely different than my 9900 and some people even reporting the newer Q10 revisions again feel different in terms of keyboard compared to the very first units.
    For example my Q10 is a bit on the soft side, where my 9900 had a better tactile feel to it. For that reason I prefered the Bold keyboard over the newer BB10 one.
    08-14-14 04:31 AM
    Being I have been mostly touch screen the past few years and recently bought a used Q10 to play around with.

I found the keys to be too small for my big hands and after seeing the pictures of the passport and reading the reviews. I am looking forward to getting a passport into my hands.

The device is large which should be perfect for a big like me and the keys look bigger and I am starting to really like the square look, now just waiting for the releases date and the price.

Sent using the CB forums app.
    08-14-14 04:54 AM
    Well what is the normal BB keyboard? My Q10 feels completely different than my 9900 and some people even reporting the newer Q10 revisions again feel different in terms of keyboard compared to the very first units.
    For example my Q10 is a bit on the soft side, where my 9900 had a better tactile feel to it. For that reason I prefered the Bold keyboard over the newer BB10 one.
    Hmmm. I haven't used a q10 or bold in forever. I would guess it would feel similar to the q10. I will see if I can try one soon.
    Last edited by netviper; 08-14-14 at 10:15 PM.
    08-14-14 05:34 AM
    Thanks. That's helpful feedback.
    Unfortunately (and I don't know exactly why) the nerve damage in my hands makes it painful to try to type on slab phones. That's why the keyboard of the Passport was appealing. On the other hand, like many others, I just wish they'd gone with 4 rows ... or at least printed the symbols on the keys as well. It's just mind boggling that with such large keys BlackBerry didn't also include numbers and symbols on them.

Hmmm. I haven't used a q10 or bold in forever. I would say it feels similar to the q10. I will see if I can try one soon. I can tell you that I think I type way faster on the z30.

Ok. Just tired a bold. Feels like that only the keys are much larger.
    08-14-14 08:05 AM
    Unfortunately (and I don't know exactly why) the nerve damage in my hands makes it painful to try to type on slab phones. That's why the keyboard of the Passport was appealing. On the other hand, like many others, I just wish they'd gone with 4 rows ... or at least printed the symbols on the keys as well. It's just mind boggling that with such large keys BlackBerry didn't also include numbers and symbols on them.
    I think they cancelled the 4th row just for letting a bigger real estate screen for viewing things.

Sent from my Z 30
    08-14-14 01:32 PM
    Symbols and numbers are all part of the virtual 4th row keyboard, so there is no need to have more than letters printed on the keys
    08-14-14 03:23 PM
    Its has 4 way navigation sensor in keyvoard
    08-15-14 03:36 AM
    I hope the feedback was helpful. It is coming from some friends I have at some carriers. I hope to try one personally soon.
    08-15-14 06:18 AM
    I understand the rationale. I just don't accept it.
    My understanding is that you can actually use the physical keys for symbols. Their reason for not including the alternate symbols in the keys is that clearly they think it will make users less inclined to adopt or transition to the use of the virtual keys on the virtual 4th row. Whether or not that may be true, there are clearly plenty of users who want the option of using the physical keyboard for the alt keys. In my case, typing on glass causes me physical pain. I don't know what the difference is between keys and the flat glass, probably the angle I use, or the fact that there's some "give" when I type on keys. At any rate, because of nerve damage in my hands, it hurts to use virtual keyboards.
    There's a lot that I like about the Passport. A large slider would be ideal, and I don't know why BlackBerry hasn't produced one, but the passport is definitely preferable to the Classic both because of the large keys and the large screen.
    Still, it is a user experience design flaw (in my opinion) that BlackBerry isn't putting numbers and symbols on the keys too.

Symbols and numbers are all part of the virtual 4th row keyboard, so there is no need to have more than letters printed on the keys
    08-15-14 07:44 AM
    Not sure why they couldn't make the hard keys alternate between letters ,numbers and symbols by swiping down just like it does on the virtual keyboard. I hope the numbers and symbols really flow with the rest of the keyboard
    08-15-14 11:24 AM
    So what's the deal with the keyboard buttons? It looks like they are coming off.

Passport Keyboard "Feel"-telus-blackberry-passport2.png
    08-19-14 03:31 PM
    They are just molded for better ergonomics.
    08-19-14 03:43 PM
    So what's the deal with the keyboard buttons? It looks like they are coming off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TELUS-BlackBerry-Passport2.png 
Views:	1122 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	291825
    You take a closeup of the Q10 keyboard and they look like that too. The keys are asymmetrical and molded. They're fine.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 05:41 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TELUS-BlackBerry-Passport2.png 
Views:	1122 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	291825
    You take a closeup of the Q10 keyboard and they look like that too. The keys are asymmetrical and molded. They're fine.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, the Passport's keys go on a slant so on the left side of the keyboard, the keys have a big of a lift on the right side and vice versa. This allows for easy sliding from one side to another and it's easier to press keys.

It's hard to explain but the keys aren't crooked or sideways but on their respective side, there's a small lift . When you take out the keys, you can see that they're not symmetrical on the passport

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 06:01 PM
    Not sure why they couldn't make the hard keys alternate between letters ,numbers and symbols by swiping down just like it does on the virtual keyboard. I hope the numbers and symbols really flow with the rest of the keyboard
    The numbers and symbols do map to the physical keys, from what I understand - it's just that you get an on-screen guide to the keymap, to see which key gives which glyph, instead of having the them printed directly on the keys, along with the letters.

As for the feel of the keys; I recall seeing one report suggesting that their response is, in fact, a little bit softer than on previous BlackBerry devices -- they can't possibly be too gooey, though, I have to imagine, because there will have to be a clear distinction between a pressed key and one that is just touched.
    08-19-14 06:06 PM
    Yes. There will have to be, but it's yet to be seen if there *will* be.

As for the feel of the keys; I recall seeing one report suggesting that their response is, in fact, a little bit softer than on previous BlackBerry devices -- they can't possibly be too gooey, though, I have to imagine, because there will have to be a clear distinction between a pressed key and one that is just touched.
    08-20-14 08:26 AM
    It's the best blackberry keyboard I've ever personally typed on. I thought the 3 row keyboard might feel odd and I had the same questions most did here, but I found my way around it very quickly and found the 4th row VKB to be very helpful and intuitive as well. As for the physical keys - not too hard, not too soft. Overall great device for typing and communications.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 03:06 PM
    It's the best blackberry keyboard I've ever personally typed on. I thought the 3 row keyboard might feel odd and I had the same questions most did here, but I found my way around it very quickly and found the 4th row VKB to be very helpful and intuitive as well. As for the physical keys - not too hard, not too soft. Overall great device for typing and communications.

Posted via CB10
    I hate you.

OK. Just kidding. This lovely cabernet merlot I'm drinking is making me a bit feisty.

Anyway - you have actually gotten to type on the keyboard. I'm in the depths of envy at the moment. Even more so because my upgrade isn't due until February.

This phone, for some reason, is making me miss my keyboard more and more.

I will have to see what can be done to sweet talk hubby into an early upgrade. After all - he's gone through 4 Samsungs in the past 2 years.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 05:31 PM
    Read the Keyboard AMA thread for plenty of feedback.
    08-21-14 07:11 AM