I don't think anyone who have thought someone is going to ask should I choose Blackberry Passport or iPad Mini Retina with Cellular.
    How to begin with? Trouble is I am a BB fan and it can be inconvenient.

I use iPad 2 with cellular mainly for internet browsing (big screen), iTunes and photo media. That simple one touch button is so convenient for everything including taking snapshots. iPad tends to stay at home but will travel. However, composing emails on iPad is frustrating. I keep having to go back. Just an example typed thisisiPad instead of this is iPad. The cursor refuses to point to the right place for correction. I ended up having to erase the whole word and re-type. The other thing is without retina screen, small text isn't sharp and you would have to expand to see better.
    I use Samsung Note 3 for phone calls, messaging, taking pictures (amazing) and the big screen is comfortable for internet when out shopping, caf� etc. If I were to get Passport, I would not use Note 3 anymore.
    I recently purchased Q10 because of OS10, BBM, ability to replace battery, it's size & the keypad for accurate typing. More importantly, because it is Blackberry (I know many on this forum aren't keen on Q10 and I can understand why).

I've iPad 2 for a while (battery so far ok) and I am thinking of getting iPad Retina Mini with Cellular because of it's size, improved screen pixels and 4G connection. On the other hand, Blackberry Passport is calling me. The square screen is both sharp and good for full screen website and the new keypad is a 'dream'. Passport is purely for private use, no business word or excel editing etc. It will be used as a main phone, messaging, emails, pictures and internet browsing when out about.

The price of iPad Retina Mini with Cellular is about the same price as a Passport. I just have a thought shouldn't I be thinking of getting an iPad Mini? At the moment, it is either Passport or iPad Mini. What are your thoughts for those in possession of Passport & iPad?
    01-05-15 02:29 PM
    not the same use for me but with passport you can easyli leave your tab. So at the end, buy a passport you will not regeret it
    01-05-15 02:48 PM
    I also wanted to buy a tablet this year! BUt I am disgusted by Apple or Android in general. I am just not into that cheesy and crappy UI.

But I have read that many have skipped or sold their tablets since they have a passport. And it makes sense. It is like a small tablet, with a keyboard and phone function and tremendous specs. So I think this will give me everything I want and make a tablet obsolet.

So I would get myself a Passport.
    01-05-15 03:12 PM
    used to have an ipad mini. with a BlackBerry passport I can do everything and better. especially for work.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 03:17 PM
    I have a tablet but don't use it much since I have had my passport. It's a Del with full windows so it actually replaced my laptop so when I do use it it is in place of a laptop and I have a keyboard for it.

With the passport there is less need for a tablet except for video. If you want to watch long videos in widescreen the tablet will be better.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 03:18 PM
    Trouble is I am a BB fan and it can be inconvenient.
    I have a Passport, but can't really comment because I've never used an iPad Mini w/ Cellular. Regardless, I just wanted to say that I think your statement above has already entered my "quotes of the year" list.. Well done...
    01-05-15 03:21 PM
    My Z30 is my iPad mini.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    mk2234 and playpen007 like this.
    01-05-15 03:24 PM
    I had the iPad mini prior to buying the Passport. Since I have had the Passport I have hardly picked up the iPad. I have been using the Passport for everything now and could even pull off all my work on it if it could run two windows programs that I need my Surface Pro 3 for. Passport is a great device.

Passport on AT&T
    01-05-15 03:30 PM
    Wouldn't a iPad mini without the cellular + Passport be better? Look up on the BlackBerry Blend software.

Posted via CB10
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    01-05-15 03:33 PM
    They are really different devices for different needs. Sort of like soccer balls and tennis balls are both, well, balls - but for different games.

I have a tablet but I don't need it when I carry my Passport. For Me, 90% of what I do is text related (email, web, documents) so I am happy. It also fits in anything I've got going from shirt pocket to PC case and weighs a microscopic fraction of a tablet. It's more versatile as well - given it can do all the tablet duties but also do calls (and hotspot for my tablet, if needed).

Keep both. Run BLEND on your iPad for when you want your phone out of sight.
    01-05-15 03:41 PM
    They are really different devices for different needs. Sort of like soccer balls and tennis balls are both, well, balls - but for different games.

I have a tablet but I don't need it when I carry my Passport. For Me, 90% of what I do is text related (email, web, documents) so I am happy. It also fits in anything I've got going from shirt pocket to PC case and weighs a microscopic fraction of a tablet. It's more versatile as well - given it can do all the tablet duties but also do calls (and hotspot for my tablet, if needed).

Keep both. Run BLEND on your iPad for when you want your phone out of sight.
    Exactly. Pairing them together would work well.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 03:45 PM
    Buy an old ipad mini for cheap and blend. I do. Although, ipad mini is only good for more lives in Candy crush soda. It is easier to type on PP than the mini.
    01-05-15 03:47 PM
    ...And the Passport has the best balls around!

It's been mentioned but because it's true, it deserves repetition: different devices for different needs. The Passport is truly amazing for all things productive. To be honest, it's productive to an extreme. Which translates to the fact that it's not the greatest device around for entertainment. Since I purchased it, I was urged to [finally] pick up an old Playbook. I use it mainly for browsing, watching movies, and playing games (even if the latter are fairly limited now compared to other tablets). It suits my needs and serves them well enough. And for 40 bucks, I couldn't really go wrong with the Playbook.

The Passport will do everything you need to do on the go and it will do a phenomenal job at it. With BlackBerry Blend and the ability to set up a mobile hotspot, you would be more than covered for your needs with your current tablet. The Passport is a whole other world of device and if accuracy is a concern (or even a thought) for typing emails and messaging, then don't think twice - get yourself that Passport. You'll be very glad you did!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-05-15 03:51 PM
    It's great to see all those replies. Everyone has been supportive & thanks for helping me to decide. emailthisaddress, thanks for your compliments LOL.
    Last edited by Quietude; 01-09-15 at 06:45 PM.
    01-05-15 03:56 PM
    I am new to OS10, would you please enlighten me briefly on the following:
    Is Blend a bit like iTunes account, where you synch between devices (either USB or WiFi)?
    Would you please tell me more about the Blend (did watch the demo video though)?
    For Doc to Go, whatever stuff you do on laptop Office Suite, you synch via your laptop blackberry dashboard to your BB device (via USB)?
    01-05-15 04:10 PM
    My Passport has replaced my iPad mini for all but games and video. The screen on the Passport really has enabled that. I like 1:1 ratio much better for reading than the 16:9. Granted there are some apps available from Apple that are not available @ BlackBerry World and some Android apps do not work but neither of these have made a difference. I can honestly say I use my Passport for 90% of what I used to use my iPad mini for and I get a great phone as well.

Blend allows you to access your email, text, BBM and calendar info on you phone via your tablet or computer and vise-versa. I've only just begun to use it this past week so am not an expert as to all it does. I like it because I communicate largely by text so I do not have to pick up my phone to see a new text. Also, I have several email accounts. Now that they are synced to the Hub I can see and respond via Blend rather than having to access each account if on the computer.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Peter Johnson4; 01-05-15 at 04:51 PM.
    01-05-15 04:34 PM
    In simpilist terms.. blend is a secure way to access the main feature on your BB10 phone running 10.3.1....On a PC, Mac, Ipad or Android tablet....... the main advantage is that nothing in a session is ever kept on you computer or tablet... when you disconnect the smartphone all information is kept on the smartphone.....the BB program for syncing ala itunes is BB link.. it allow for syncing or information and data as well as copying files....
    01-05-15 04:52 PM
    In simpilist terms.. blend is a secure way to access the main feature on your BB10 phone running 10.3.1....On a PC, Mac, Ipad or Android tablet....... the main advantage is that nothing in a session is ever kept on you computer or tablet... when you disconnect the smartphone all information is kept on the smartphone.....the BB program for syncing ala itunes is BB link.. it allow for syncing or information and data as well as copying files....
    Also, can't forget that it's a secure way to access all files on your computer from your Passport (or any BB10 device) from anywhere. I don't know which feature is more valuable to me. Blend is just awesome!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-05-15 05:12 PM
    And just to add. Blend is not like iTunes account in a sense that you don't sync from a server. Your PC or Tablet is linked directly to your phone and data is transferred between them. There is no cloud server that you need to connect and sync to. That's what makes it secure since data is really just on your phone.

Also, as other posters said, when you disconnect from the phone no data is left behind.

Blend can connect over wifi, USB, or even over cellular network.

It is one of the most useful feature of the phone that I use daily. It has replaced my laptop's mail client.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 05:36 PM
    BlackBerry Link is kinda like iTunes but not really. Blend isn't like iTunes at all. Basically whatever you have on your phone can be seen on the tablet screen. The moment you disconnect that data disappears without a trace(because it's all on your smartphone) . Reconnect again and it's all still there but viewed on the iPad.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 05:20 PM
    I am using the passport for two weeks now.

My main frustration is the difficulty with Android apps. Some of them run well, some of them run 'bumpy', some of them don't run.
    In general, if they have text input fields, use the camera, etc. they can run buggy, and anything that needs google maps, didn't run for me. Many drain the battery, like Skype.
    The back swype in Androidapps interferes with the scroll up swipe, and the minimize swipe.
    So now I limit myself to the built in apps.

The hub is nice, but the win phone tiles were even faster to use for notifications.
    The keyboard is ok, the camera is good in sunlight, but slow to operate by my standards.
    It feels to me the second version of the passport will iron out many of these annoyances.

Otherwise, it fills my tablet use perfectly. I have a cheap Acer Trio E700 phone for all the android apps and Skype, with a duplicate SIM card (like for cars).

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 01:29 AM
    I originally got the Note 3 last year in hopes that I wouldn't need or want a tablet because of its screen size, unfortunately it didn't really work out how I envisioned. The PP however for some reason gives me that. Even though the screen is technically smaller it just works bigger. Hard to explain if you never tried it.

I would say get the PP. Also think of BlackBerry Blend as AirDroid but actually works. Hope my 2 cents helps.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 01:52 AM
    Forget EVERYTHING else. I can't wrap my head around you comparing a 4.5" to 8.0" screen. Think REALLY hard about that for a bit THEN factor in everything else you just forgot about and therein lies your answer.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 04:34 PM
    Uh, this is a BlackBerry forum so my biased vote is in favor of the Passport. I don't even use a tablet anymore, my Passport is sufficient.

Brought to you by...My sweet Passport
    01-09-15 06:08 PM