I will be travelling to India next week for a month on business and will be in Kochi, Bangalore, and Mumbai.

Im leaning towards getting an Airtel SIM based on reading online, but am not sure I will get 4G or LTE with the Passport.

Can anyone using a Passport in India please advise....

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 12:02 AM
    (I use Z30)
    4G services are currently new and being offered by few carriers.
    Kochi (I am not sure)
    Bangalore (Maybe)
    Mumbai (Pretty sure)
    Airtel is in competition with Reliance and has announced 4G to be cheaper than them.

Good luck and have a nice journey.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 12:56 AM
    Hi nbaliga ,

Use IDEA or AIRTEL or Vodafone.
    It again depends on what cities u r travelling.
    When it comes to 4G, passport does not support Airtel 4G( which is on band 40- 2300MHz)
    passport has below bands:
    LTE 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600
    LTE 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600
    Website links:
    airtel Prepaid | Postpaid | Fixed Line | Internet | DTH (digital TV) India
    Idea Cellular - Cell Phone Services | 3G, Prepaid, Postpaid & Wireless Internet
    http://www.vodafone.in/
    For kerala- Kochi- Ideacellular is best . You can take Idea cellular Sim card,
    Bangalore- Airtel - Idea will latch on to Airtel 3G network, 2G coverage is pretty good
    Mumbai- Vodafone/ Airtel- Idea Sim can latch on to Airtel for 3G and 2G coverage is good

So I recommend you Airtel or Ideacellular.
    11-28-14 01:17 AM
    Go for idea

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    11-28-14 02:30 AM
    Thanks, I hadnt heard of idea cellular before. I was also hoping to use the SIM in a USB dongle, so would like the best speeds possible!

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 10:48 AM
    You need to get a Universal 4G Dongle (or battery powered 4G Pocket Routers) in one of the stores in India or abroad and use the Airtel SIM or any other provider's SIM. BB PP may not work with Indian 4G Networks.
    11-28-14 11:55 AM
    Thanks, I hadnt heard of idea cellular before. I was also hoping to use the SIM in a USB dongle, so would like the best speeds possible!

Posted via CB10
    If you're planning to use the sim on a dongle, I'd suggest you to get a BSNL sim card. Only bsnl has 3G coverage in every circle in India. And if planning to use on a mobile, the 2G coverage of bsnl is impeccable. Also, there is no charges on incoming calls while in roaming (you might need an additional booster pack for this).

And no, do not expect to use 4G unless you plan to buy a hefty priced 4G dongle from Airtel which has coverage in only 3-4 cities in India. Bangalore is covered though. I'm not sure about Mumbai. But kochi is NOT covered by Airtel 4G. You can check their website at airtel.in for the coverage details.

Posted via my White.Leopard
    11-28-14 12:05 PM
    I use my Passport on Airtel.
    There is no 4G in Mumbai city. So you will be on 3G. Airtel is good, so is Vodafone. Don't try anything else.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 12:08 PM
    I use my Passport on Airtel.
    There is no 4G in Mumbai city. So you will be on 3G. Airtel is good, so is Vodafone. Don't try anything else.

Posted via CB10
    And as someone above mentioned, India's 4G band is different one. So none of the phones support this band yet. Only China & India uses this band as of now. That's the reason 4G is not usable on the passport.

And I personally use Vodafone and I have always got good coverage throughout the country. But bsnl is still a notch better. But I have a super awesome tariff plan, so I stick with vodafone. 10,000 local/std/roaming mins + 1,000 local/std sms + 8GB 3G data for Rs. 1599 a month

11-28-14 12:35 PM
    You can easily go for a BSNL or an MTNL.
    The benefit of BSNL is you won't pay extra while you go from kochi to banglore or visa versa. However if you come to Mumbai first you won't be able to get a BSNL sim as Mumbai and Delhi have MTNL instead of BSNL. The drawback with MTNL is it offer no roaming facility only in Delhi and Mumbai thus while in kochi and banglore you will be charged a little extra. Now in India you won't get 4 G, in a nutshell. So in MTNL we have packs which you can use for net. If you wish to use high volume of data you can go for 1650 rupees which gives 200GB. Else you can also go for small packs like 175 rupees which gives 1GB. I am using my passport on MTNL in Delhi and it works fine. Remember you will have to change the network mode sometimes as I always get the issue of 2G and 3G. So you have to sometimes manually go to settings and change it to 3G else it keeps on 2G.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 12:50 PM
    You can easily go for a BSNL or an MTNL.
    The benefit of BSNL is you won't pay extra while you go from kochi to banglore or visa versa. However if you come to Mumbai first you won't be able to get a BSNL sim as Mumbai and Delhi have MTNL instead of BSNL. The drawback with MTNL is it offer no roaming facility only in Delhi and Mumbai thus while in kochi and banglore you will be charged a little extra. Now in India you won't get 4 G, in a nutshell. So in MTNL we have packs which you can use for net. If you wish to use high volume of data you can go for 1650 rupees which gives 200GB. Else you can also go for small packs like 175 rupees which gives 1GB. I am using my passport on MTNL in Delhi and it works fine. Remember you will have to change the network mode sometimes

Posted via CB10
    I didn't know there was a 200GB plan on mtnl. I might go ahead and buy a sim from Mumbai when I visit next month and use it on my dongle at tamil nadu.

11-28-14 12:52 PM
    I am in India now roaming with TMOBILE global plan. First arrival in Chennai, my Passport locked onto IDEA. I only have had EDGE with this carrier. Speed is fast enough for email, BBM and browser. Once I arrived my hotel closer in town, my Passport has been connected to Airtel India. It shows 4G! Perhaps it is faux 4G due to TMOBILE sim. Speed is noticeable faster when using browser or CB10 for sure. But when I video chat, it is not as fast as when I use it on 4G in the US or UK.

So based on my short experience here to date at least in Chennai, I would go for Airtel. I also remember that when I came here Feb 2013, my 9810 roamed on Airtel with 4G signal (faux 4G use to TMO SIM).

Anyhow, I will be in Mumbai on Dec 5-6 and will see how my Passport using TMO SIM works out.

Posted via CB10 with BlackBerry PP
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 11-29-14 at 12:24 AM.
    11-28-14 10:54 PM