I've had my passport for 2 weeks, and it was beginning to really grow on me. I was very close to taking advantage of the iPhone exchange program (my daughter just upgraded to the 6), but my employer just instituted a mandatory Airwatch requirement, and turned off their open active-sync e-mail server.

My research shows that Airwatch can currently integrate with BES to manage BB10 devices. Also, BB has opened their APIs so Airwatch can, one day, manage it directly. However, we don't have BES, and the BB store's airwatch agent is dated 2/2014 while the API announcement was 5/2014 so they cannot directly manage a passport today (this is also what my IT department said).

No point in having a "work phone" that can't get "work" emails. Sigh...

Stan
    01-15-15 04:40 PM
    Oh man. That is killer. I feel your pain. I've only had my Passport for a week at work, and I already am having a hard time imagining getting by without one.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 04:43 PM
    You can connect to an airwatch server without installing airwatch. You just need to know the server when you setup the email account.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 04:45 PM
    Have you tried to use it as "android"?
    Installing android apps, etc?

It works for me with Citrix

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    01-15-15 05:18 PM
    The airwatch android app crashes the first time you run it. You then run it again, and it looks like it is working, but when it comes time to "sign in", it just sits there. It says "signing in", then comes back to the same screen.

My fear of using a loophole is that the loophole may close in a future release, and then I'm stuck with an expensive phone, optimized for work, but I cannot work on it.
    01-15-15 07:38 PM
    The airwatch android app crashes the first time you run it. You then run it again, and it looks like it is working, but when it comes time to "sign in", it just sits there. It says "signing in", then comes back to the same screen.

My fear of using a loophole is that the loophole may close in a future release, and then I'm stuck with an expensive phone, optimized for work, but I cannot work on it.
    You might want to try the newest OS first. It has a much improved Android runtime compared to 10.3.0. I do agree though that you are running some risk.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 08:19 PM
    I was able to connect using Zetai's suggestion. Now, I need to decide if I think this will work long term (and how what kind of trouble I may face if caught).
    01-16-15 04:08 PM
    You can connect to an airwatch server without installing airwatch. You just need to know the server when you setup the email account.

Posted via CB10
    Kinda *proper* security lol

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    01-16-15 04:32 PM
    I've had my passport for 2 weeks, and it was beginning to really grow on me. I was very close to taking advantage of the iPhone exchange program (my daughter just upgraded to the 6), but my employer just instituted a mandatory Airwatch requirement, and turned off their open active-sync e-mail server.

My research shows that Airwatch can currently integrate with BES to manage BB10 devices. Also, BB has opened their APIs so Airwatch can, one day, manage it directly. However, we don't have BES, and the BB store's airwatch agent is dated 2/2014 while the API announcement was 5/2014 so they cannot directly manage a passport today (this is also what my IT department said).

No point in having a "work phone" that can't get "work" emails. Sigh...

Stan
    Head scratcher!!? When your company had active sync email servers on how were you accessing you email account without BES? You also didn't give a reason why your company chose to go with AIRWatch!?

BlackBerry BES is ten times better!?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 08:24 PM
    I wasn't involved in any of these decisions so I don't know and can't even guess. During the iPhone explosion, BBs were booted out to get rid of BES. Time passes, security becomes more important, and now we have Airwatch. I'd guess we have 59.5% apple, 40% android and 0.5% Windows... plus one rebel who wants to use a passport .
    01-16-15 09:00 PM
    I got my Passport on the Corp system, as mentioned earlier I was given the correct details by It to setup the active sync account. I had to load airwatch from BBWorld. The main thing iT wanted is for me to have the phone password protected.

Only issue I have is I can't use picture password for some reason. Must be Airwatch interfering with it.

Passport running on 10.3.0.1408
    01-16-15 09:51 PM
    When you use the airwatch server to setup your account, it will pull the same airwatch IT restrictions and security settings as if you installed airwatch. That's why you lose picture password, are required to have a device password, and probably lost Hotspot in the settings.

The only difference is you don't have the actual app installed. BB10 will pull the same security protocols as if you did have it installed. Your IT department shouldn't have any problems with skipping airwatch.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 07:02 AM
    Airwatch for BlackBerry 10 doesn't really monitor your device to make sure your phone still respect the policies... one of the reasons why my IT isn't accepting BlackBerry 10 phones :/

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 07:20 AM
    Policies in what way?

As far as I know, as long as I have airwatch account active, it wont allow me to turn off device passwords or "re-enable" hotspot capabilities. Monitoring isnt necessary if the restriction is permanent... no?

I'm obviously not in IT. Just curious is all.
    01-17-15 10:41 AM
    Policies in what way?

As far as I know, as long as I have airwatch account active, it wont allow me to turn off device passwords or "re-enable" hotspot capabilities. Monitoring isnt necessary if the restriction is permanent... no?

I'm obviously not in IT. Just curious is all.
    Well I got Airwatch on my z10 when my employer allowed it, connected my phone, then erased Airwatch and my phone was still connected.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 02:07 PM
    I think that's an airwatch issue. I had it on my BlackBerry and iPad. Deleted airwatch off both and continued to get email. Calendar wouldn't always sync though.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 02:15 PM
    I've had my BlackBerry Passport since November and I've really become attached to it. If my employer tried to force me to use android, or worse Apple, I'd start looking for another job. The Passport comes FIRST!

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    01-17-15 02:18 PM
    My corp is also moving to Airwatch...

5 years ago we were almost exclusively BB, today about 50/50 iOS/BB. Apparently upgrade costs are much higher for moving BES10 to BES12 and we are migrating now to Airwatch.

My only issue is that I can not use Blend for my work side and that I also do not have VPN connectivity to the work resources. On the flip side us BBRY diehards are continued to be able to use BB devices..not sure how long though.
    01-17-15 03:07 PM
    If I was forced to us am iPhone I would simply ask my employer would you want me to be productive or do you want me to use an iPhone because I can't do both. Hell I am typing this message on my iPad mini and have lost track on how many mistakes I have made. And I am looking at the darn keys.

If I still had to use an iPhone I would just let them know that there is a fat chance of me returning any emails in a timely fashion on an iPhone.
    01-17-15 03:17 PM
    I think that's an airwatch issue. I had it on my BlackBerry and iPad. Deleted airwatch off both and continued to get email. Calendar wouldn't always sync though.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think Airwatch encrypt and funnel traffic. It only registers devices and monitors them.

For exemple, if you root your device, IT can send a message to Airwatch to delete your phone. Usually you're not supposed to be able to delete Airwatch... I tried it on android and it wouldn't allow me. Not sure about iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 06:05 PM
    It should allow you to delete the app. Just that it should also erase all related work stuff with it. Strange that it would leave email working though. Maybe they aren't as connected as we think.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 06:27 PM
    That's exactly it, the instructions for me to uninstall on let's say an android phone is to go in and remove it from admin accounts and then I can remove the app. Removing the email was a manual step and I didn't remove it as a test and it continued to work.

4 months ago we switched from Airwatch to another solution and that looks at the device agent daily and registers with the server twice a day. I removed that app and email stopped working almost immediately.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 06:33 PM
    My IT also said they cant give me e-mail with air watch MDM. They said all they can do is manage phone password. Weird. There is air watch app on BlackBerry world so I don't understand this. So frustrating. Any tips?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 09:16 PM
    I've had my BlackBerry Passport since November and I've really become attached to it. If my employer tried to force me to use android, or worse Apple, I'd start looking for another job. The Passport comes FIRST!

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    Wow...

Posted from an ME173X
    02-18-15 09:41 PM