For those that saw that Brazilian (I think) leak of a passport se running Android hear me out.

I think the PP SE was intended to be their first Android device. Since they knew well ahead of its release that bb10 was getting scrapped.

They didn't want to confuse the public with two OSes on the same device that's why they released it as a last minute bb10 device.

Having said that if they made drivers etc for the se PP then why do they say it's so hard to make drivers for the Priv to run bb10.

This was a last minute scrap of android on PP se and that is why all the confusion and late marketing for the Priv.

Posted via the Silver Edition Ultimate Mobile Device
    11-11-15 11:19 PM
    Having said that if they made drivers etc for the se PP then why do they say it's so hard to make drivers for the Priv to run bb10.
    I assume you mean porting the Passport SE to BB10, to which I say it isn't an accomplishment. The Passport SE is merely a cosmetic change over the original Passport.

The Priv is a whole new SoC, display, screen resolution, etc.
    11-11-15 11:23 PM
    The passport was a device that was started during Thors time so its not a fair comparison. And android on the Priv was not a last minute decision at all as discussed in recent interviews with BB Execs.
    11-11-15 11:23 PM
    Pretty sure a lot of thought went into the Priv.

The Passport is weird. It's a weird size, a weird resolution, and all the average consumer knows is a 16:9 slab of glass. An Android Passport would have immediately failed, because everyone and their mom would say "I don't need a physical keyboard, and I definitely don't need such a weird square screen and awkwardly wide device."

The Priv has allowed BlackBerry to enter the Android space with a device that can both be familiar (with a familiar OS and familiar shape), but can also slide out to reveal a physical keyboard which is iconic BlackBerry.

So no, I don't think the SE was destined to be the first BlackBerry Android device.

Posted via CB10 // Passport Red SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2474 // Cricket Wireless
    Marcin Dabrowsky, Wunliang and _tC like this.
    11-11-15 11:35 PM
    I believe that the Passport was the last great hurrah for BB10. Never originally designed for android

Posted via CB10
    Gadgetgirl38 likes this.
    11-11-15 11:52 PM
    However, I would be glad if BBRY would allow Android installation on Passport.
    I see no reason why it should not work.
    11-12-15 09:44 AM
    Most people that see the Passport and think it is a hideous design so it would have definitely failed in an attempt to be an initial Android release. What would be the best move for the Passport (which we all know won't happen) would be for BlackBerry to update the ART, virtual keyboard in landscape view, HDMI output and a camera upgrade...call it Passport 2.0

Hey a guy can dream right??

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:58 AM
    Nah, the demo android PP showed that its not yet fully functional as the keyboard doesn't work on some parts. Why? Probably they stopped as the screen is square and the full android experience could not be obtained.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 10:18 AM
    Just install an Android launcher and BOOM, you can take a picture of the Passport "running Android." Doesn't mean a thing.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    11-12-15 10:35 AM
    Just install an Android launcher and BOOM, you can take a picture of the Passport "running Android." Doesn't mean a thing.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    The Passport in the video we are referring to was most definitely running a build of Android. Means a little more than your launcher scam.

11-12-15 11:48 AM
    Anybody know if we Passport users are to maybe get some Android software on our phones?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 03:33 PM
    Anybody know if we Passport users are to maybe get some Android software on our phones?

Posted via CB10
    Nobody actually knows for sure but some of us know Blackberry well enough to predict their decisions from multiple past experiences.

Based on that...

The passport will not receive Android.

Their focus (although not very thorough for my liking) is the Priv, and development of 'other' new devices.

I guess it makes sense, screw the current bb10 line up and customers, wash your hands of that user base and plough forward (backwards) with android.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 03:48 PM
    I am sure they thought about it, but it wouldn't help selling priv. If they stop supporting bb10, my heart will be broken!
    Vistaus likes this.
    11-12-15 04:52 PM

Two totally different "motherboards"
    One would have to set up the Hardware exactly the same on the Priv to all the same on current BB10 devices.

Or they would have to almost completely rewrite BB10 to work with the hardware of the Priv.

And the opposite would go for running Android on a BlackBerry device that runs BB10.

That's why it's a bit hard to believe that BlackBerry ever had a Passport that ran Android. Especially when it's easier to write up and produce a launcher that can run ontop of BB10 and give one the appearance of Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 05:24 PM
    For those that saw that Brazilian (I think) leak of a passport se running Android hear me out.

I think the PP SE was intended to be their first Android device. Since they knew well ahead of its release that bb10 was getting scrapped.

They didn't want to confuse the public with two OSes on the same device that's why they released it as a last minute bb10 device.

This was a last minute scrap of android on PP se and that is why all the confusion and late marketing for the Priv.

Thank you i7 processor for only wasting 3 secs of my life ,Why does it matter the SE runs BB10 the Priv doesn't now get on with it.
    11-12-15 05:35 PM
    The Passport in the video we are referring to was most definitely running a build of Android. Means a little more than your launcher scam.

That's was never definitely confirmed.
    Even the system information was brought up by a third party app instead of simply going thru Android settings.
    So it leaves a lot to question in the video.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 10:07 PM
    The passport was a device that was started during Thors time so its not a fair comparison. And android on the Priv was not a last minute decision at all as discussed in recent interviews with BB Execs.
    Actually, the Passport was started under Lazaridis according to a friend of mine that worked at BlackBerry.
    11-13-15 08:58 AM