Downloaded a few android apps from Amazon.ca. However running these Android apps on my 1 week old BB passport makes the device super hot. I checked the temperature and it goes to 38 deg C which is as high as I want to risk it so had to stop the app. Is this normal behavior on the BB passport running on the current BBOS 10.3.0.908 and does it gets better when I use these apps more and with time for the device to settle down.
    Anyone here know what cause this ?
    10-23-14 10:46 AM
    You should use "Device Monitor" to track down which APP is causing the issue.
    10-23-14 10:57 AM
    I find Android apps that use the network a lot get hot. Spotify (music streaming) and Flud (torrent client) both cause the PP to get hot and suck a lot of battery. In comparison, Slacker Radio (music streaming, native BB app) doesn't make the passport hot and doesn't drain the battery nearly as much.

Other Android apps in my experience that don't use the network constantly run fine without excessive heat or battery drain. However I don't play games, so haven't tried any Android games.
    10-23-14 11:06 AM
    All BB10 devices get hot and drain battery more when they run Android apps. Maybe it has something to do with data or location usage, maybe it don't but its a usual behavior pretty much.
    10-23-14 11:49 AM
    I noticed that my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 gets hotter after I updated to it. Anyone else noticed this

Posted from my awsome blackberry passport
    10-23-14 11:54 AM
    All BB10 devices get hot and drain battery more when they run Android apps. Maybe it has something to do with data or location usage, maybe it don't but its a usual behavior pretty much.
    I wonder how high we can let the temp of the device go before damage is done to the electronic circuit of the device. my passport is currently naked so I bet putting on a cover will make this worse.
    My last experience of these getting so hot was with the Z10 running hotspot.
    I thought with the high flying processor and ram capacity of the passport, these apps will not drain the resources so much but I was wrong
    10-23-14 12:02 PM
    Android games like field runner make mine run really hot and eat the battery too. I believe they do that on Android devices as well.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 12:07 PM
    When charging and playing my passport goes to 40

Passport/10.3.0.1418. UK
    12-16-14 07:41 PM
    Can say any android app will run it a bit worse lol. )

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 07:43 PM
    Never run android apps on a BlackBerry phone..it drains the battery like crazy. Even though I have the option..i would never..why would you sacrifice battery for an app that is not native/optimized to run on a BlackBerry ..never made sense to me and never will. Causes more problems.

If you want xxx app go for an android or iphone.

BlackBerry Passport - 10.3 - WIND Mobile
    12-16-14 10:41 PM
    Wouldn't buy a new phone just to get netflix

Passport/10.3.0.1418. UK
    12-17-14 11:44 AM
    I've had my z10 up to 50*, usually would be 44ish while running certain things

Passport gets up to 41* but takes a looot longer . Usually running around 34
    Actually 30 right now

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-17-14 11:51 AM
    If you want xxx app go for an android or iphone.
    That's a little harsh. I have some financial, security, and technical apps that I use frequently and which will never appear in BB World. In fact, they seem to be tools used by the Passport's target market.

Fortunately those seem to not overheat even though one streams security video. I also seem to have problems overheating with ANY game. Including Mahjong Solitaire Epic with 4.5 stars in BB World.

Kindle, which is a networked Android app, hasn't given me any trouble yet. Which is fine. I'd much rather read than play games any day. I still have an Android tablet for nonsense.
    12-17-14 11:58 AM
    Android phones get hot too when playing games and using heavy apps (most navigation software for instance). All modern phones do this. We, BlackBerry users, need to watch out for android apps after we are done using them since some get somehow stuck and cause battery drain. I usually perform a reboot after using android apps for a long time (I use a very limited number though) and I never had any problem. I've been using BlackBerry 10 since launch and now the state of the android emulator is very good.

I had it happened twice with my late Q10 who started getting hot out of a sudden and battery went nuts. A simple reboot fixed it though. Didn't figure out what happened since I didn't use any android app and in fact any app at all other than browser and hub.

Sent via my square wonder thingie
    12-17-14 12:39 PM