I have a 6 plus and just bought the Passport SE and the form factor and hardware are top notch. Unfortunately that is where it ends. I spent a considerable amount of time getting the device to be able to use android apps and then to find many do not work only to burn more calories trying to. The last straw was today when I needed an Uber car. I downloaded the app yesterday and it appeared to work so thought I was good to go after testing it to see if it opened and show my location. So when it came time to use it it displayed an error message that I had an outdated version of the app. Result: I could not get a car and missed an doctor's appt. Frustration is not even close to describe the experience which included downloading patches and using m.uber with the same result. For the less tech savvy you have about 1.5 useful apps on Amazon, one of them NOT being Uber. For others you have many apk options but they are hit or miss. This phone is not made for me but I see it has a cult following and I respect that. Me, I'll go back to my boring Iphone, boring because I have no problems to google fixes for. They have a 30 day return policy that I am more than happy to use. Hasta la vista BB. I am not a troll BTW but will probably catch $&*$.
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    03-30-16 05:41 PM
    Sorry that it didn't work out for you.
    andy957 likes this.
    03-30-16 05:50 PM
    Ok, or you could call the cab!

Posted via Q10Bold
    03-30-16 05:56 PM
    I can understand your need for venting. But you are venting to a group of Passport users who have taken the time to figure out how to install Android apps and make them function (including Uber).

It is a great phone.perhaps you should be patient and search the forum for guidance. You can book your ride using the Internet until you get the app working.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 06:00 PM
    Yes Uber app works perfectly for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 06:06 PM
    Not so simple but yes, it works. Although I use the Ober for Uber downloaded from BlackBerry World which is essentially the mobile Web based one.
    With just a bit of patience and a bit of work and time you could have almost all android apps working fine.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 06:12 PM
    I have a 6 plus and just bought the Passport SE and the form factor and hardware are top notch. Unfortunately that is where it ends. I spent a considerable amount of time getting the device to be able to use android apps and then to find many do not work only to burn more calories trying to. The last straw was today when I needed an Uber car. I downloaded the app yesterday and it appeared to work so thought I was good to go after testing it to see if it opened and show my location. So when it came time to use it it displayed an error message that I had an outdated version of the app. Result: I could not get a car and missed an doctor's appt. Frustration is not even close to describe the experience which included downloading patches and using m.uber with the same result. For the less tech savvy you have about 1.5 useful apps on Amazon, one of them NOT being Uber. For others you have many apk options but they are hit or miss. This phone is not made for me but I see it has a cult following and I respect that. Me, I'll go back to my boring Iphone, boring because I have no problems to google fixes for. They have a 30 day return policy that I am more than happy to use. Hasta la vista BB. I am not a troll BTW but will probably catch $&*$.
    LoL thats called " Losing "
    03-30-16 06:22 PM
    BlackBerry moved to Android for a reason, and you just found out what it is.

Not all of us care about the app gap, but we are a tiny minority (hell, I still think BB7 does some things better).

Posted via CB10
    tfitzpat03 and valer466 like this.
    03-30-16 06:43 PM
    I can understand your need for venting. But you are venting to a group of Passport users who have taken the time to figure out how to install Android apps and make them function (including Uber).

It is a great phone.perhaps you should be patient and search the forum for guidance. You can book your ride using the Internet until you get the app working.

Posted via CB10
    I did use the forum to try to resolve my issue, with No Success. (Read and reply to SMS over BT)
    Fortunately an offer to trade Up came along and I got out while I could.
    Too bad as the service is a Real Show off, but I needed more than just good looks and a Fun UI.
    03-30-16 08:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I read your post and it makes me want to give it a shot. As for the web, bizarre but that gave me the same error message (that I needed to download the latest uber app) and so did the patched Uber app. I restarted and uninstalled/reinstalled the apps. I did spend lots of time farting around to get it to work. BTW I have the google play app working (thanks to the tips here).
    03-30-16 08:42 PM
    The mobile version of Uber has always worked great for me. I use it all the time with my friends.

Passport Gave it a Shot-img_20160330_202244.png

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 10:23 PM
    The majority of Android apps do not work properly on BB10. As was pointed out, you have to spend often fruitless hours searching these forums just to find convoluted workarounds to get (some) of them to work at 90 or 95%. I cannot begin to calculate the amount of time I've wasted trying to get these Android apps to function properly--and good luck updating them because you're playing Russian roulette when you do this.

No one in their right mind would prefer this option over the, often cheaper, options available from Apple and on Android. The majority of Passport users do not use their phones for much more than email, calls and general use--hence your "just call a cab" response.

Sorry to break this to you, but Blackberry did not drop from 60% U.S. market share down to under 1% for no good reason. No apps. This is why the hardware division will soon be dead.
    DINGSTER1, andy957 and tazcubed like this.
    04-02-16 04:18 PM
    Better luck next time.
    04-02-16 06:03 PM
    I've hated the idea of mixing Android apps into BB10 and while I get why BlackBerry had to do it, it ultimately bit them in the *** anyways.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    04-02-16 06:34 PM
    The majority of Android apps do not work properly on BB10. As was pointed out, you have to spend often fruitless hours searching these forums just to find convoluted workarounds to get (some) of them to work at 90 or 95%. I cannot begin to calculate the amount of time I've wasted trying to get these Android apps to function properly--and good luck updating them because you're playing Russian roulette when you do this.

No one in their right mind would prefer this option over the, often cheaper, options available from Apple and on Android. The majority of Passport users do not use their phones for much more than email, calls and general use--hence your "just call a cab" response.

Sorry to break this to you, but Blackberry did not drop from 60% U.S. market share down to under 1% for no good reason. No apps. This is why the hardware division will soon be dead.
    I have a passport, use Google maps with voice guidance
    Use netflix
    Have FLIR cloud, a android app for viewing my security cams
    I view my other security cams and baby cams on a different app

I use my passport for many things other than email, and phone calls

But, I also enjoy technology and enjoy tinkering

but I agree, 95% of the population are not suited for anything that isnt spoon fed to them, hence our world economy being in the crapper and for the first time in the history of the world, there are more overweight people on the planet than those underweight

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 08:12 PM
    I have a passport, use Google maps with voice guidance
    Use netflix
    Have FLIR cloud, a android app for viewing my security cams
    I view my other security cams and baby cams on a different app

I use my passport for many things other than email, and phone calls

But, I also enjoy technology and enjoy tinkering

but I agree, 95% of the population are not suited for anything that isnt spoon fed to them, hence our world economy being in the crapper and for the first time in the history of the world, there are more overweight people on the planet than those underweight

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I also enjoy tinkering with my devices. Reminds me of the DIY PC days of my youth.
    04-02-16 08:42 PM
    +1 I also use the mobile version of Uber with no problems.

I understand the frustration with your scenario though. I'd be pissed.

#workwide #OG Black
    04-02-16 11:14 PM
    At least, he gave it a shot... and that he is being honest that it wouldn't work it out...

Posted via CB10
    kertong likes this.
    04-02-16 11:32 PM
    Nemory studios has an app called "client for Uber" on blackberry World. It important to do/follow the instructions as you can see in attached photo.

Passport Gave it a Shot-img_20160403_095526.png

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 04:05 AM
    I use the Uber mobile site on my PP. Works like a charm.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 07:20 AM
    I get the OP's point that seems to go over the heads of too many out there. Install an app and have it work - it shouldn't require gyrations. Non-native apps have quirks and one has to invest time to get them to work at times. This is the problem that Blackberry is going to have moving forward with their own OS and sideloading - unless there's a sudden buy-in by developers which isn't going to happen.
    04-03-16 08:08 AM
    I get the OP's point that seems to go over the heads of too many out there. Install an app and have it work - it shouldn't require gyrations. Non-native apps have quirks and one has to invest time to get them to work at times. This is the problem that Blackberry is going to have moving forward with their own OS and sideloading - unless there's a sudden buy-in by developers which isn't going to happen.
    We already know that.

But I'd assume if anyone is buying a blackberry at this point, you know full well what you're getting into and that you've done your research.

Getting most of the apps is not that difficult, it's come a long way and Cobalt has done a lot of work to make it happen.

That man deserves an award.

#workwide #OG Black
    Rallyfia likes this.
    04-03-16 01:50 PM
    Hub is everything. I don't think I could go to another OS that doesn't have the ease and organization of the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    04-04-16 05:14 PM
    Don't know why but Uber 1.0.3.1054 works fine on my OG passport. I am not going to upgrade. That's for sure !

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 06:03 PM
    I was willing to put in the work to get my newly bought Passport working the way I need it to. I feel what the OP is talking about. It's a lot of work to do what any other Android is just a simple task.

Why do I do this? Especially when I have a decent Android working the way I want? Well, I'm intrigued by the Passport's form factor and I'm a tinkerer too. Plus switching between my Android is just a SIM swap away. But for those who dont have time or patience to tinker, BB10 is a hard sell.
    tazcubed likes this.
    04-05-16 04:12 AM
43 12