Passport Camera-img_20141209_204229.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 07:45 PM
    Off topic but u2 joshua tree cover looks perfect on passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 07:49 PM
    Night under a street light no flash and used time shift.
    Passport Camera-img_20141209_181158.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 08:13 PM
    Check out this kick **** panorama
    Passport Camera-img_20141115_183004_panorama.jpg

Posted via CB10
    bigopti likes this.
    12-09-14 08:16 PM
    I am pretty disappointed with the camera as well mainly due to the amount of time it takes to take a picture. My iPhone 6 is super quick. What do you guys mean by auto lock or focus lock feature? That being said this pic I took at night time with flash seemed to have come out decent. It's just when you're not perfectly still with the phone when taking a shot I end up with blurry ones.
    Passport Camera-img_20141207_214425.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 08:34 PM
    To use focus lock, tap and hold an area on the screen you want to focus. The focus box will pulsate, and a little padlock will appear at the bottom of the focus square. The auto exposure is still active, so you can move the phone around and the picture will get brighter/darker, but it won't refocus. This means you can pretty much instantly take a photo. At night, I find a distant street light (bright) and focus lock on it. Provided the depth of field is OK, your shot will be in focus. The focus lock will stay until you change settings, or view the photo. Same goes for video - it stops the video hunting for focus.

When I take star shots (the heavenly, not people ) I focus on the most distant street light, then take the star shot. Perfect focus every time.

EDIT: OK, you focus lock on something that is comparable distance. This is really only necessary for less than about 5m, because after that, everything is in focus (hyperfocal range). So indoors, low lit room, focus on a lamp, or something bright at say 2m, then when you look at what you want to shoot, everything at 2m will still be in focus. Clear as mud?
    12-09-14 09:03 PM
    Oh, and remember that the PP has OIS. This allows the shutter to stay open longer, reducing ISO and reducing noise. The problem is that you still have to stay quite still - the shutter can be open up to a second. People and anything moving might become blurry, but stationary things look great. This isn't the PP fault, it is the same with any camera. Low light needs either higher ISO (more sensitive to light - but more noise), or longer shutter (no noise, but moving things tend to blur).

The OIS is actually really good, but it doesn't work miracles. Just remember at night, with night mode on to stay still for a second. You'll get much better results than phones which bump ISO to rediculous values.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    12-09-14 09:11 PM
    When I take photos with any camera I always make sure to choose the focus point. It has to have something the camera can focus on, i.e. lines, dots or something. Otherwise any camera will have difficulty focusing.
    This test image was taken with my PP in a low light area. Focus is not fast but still acceptable.
    I think the PP does well in colours, clarity and overall image quality in most situations. Here I just adjusted contrast which the PP allows me to do through a one tap pre-set operation in edit, since images are not overly processed from the camera.

Passport Camera-test-camera.jpg

From my mighty PassPort
    vader42 and bigopti like this.
    12-09-14 10:44 PM
    Use the hdr mode

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 10:52 PM
    Thanks for the tips and tricks above, I will certainly try to use focus the next time I use the camera. So basically whenever I am taking a picture if it's something close up, I should focus on something behind it? And if I am taking a picture of something from far, there is no need to focus? I may have confused myself over the post but that's what I am understanding if I am right?

I don't know very much about cameras so what exactly is HDR mode? When is it best to use that?
    12-09-14 11:21 PM
    So basically whenever I am taking a picture if it's something close up, I should focus on something behind it? And if I am taking a picture of something from far, there is no need to focus?
    Not behind it, but beside. Think of an old manual focus camera. You are inside - lots of light. You focus on a wall which is say 2m away. You now walk outside. The camera is still set to focus at 2m. You now just point at what you want and press the button. You didn't need to focus again, because the thing you are taking a photo of is *also* at about 2m. When we say 2m, the way cameras work is that everything from say 1.5m to 3m is actually in focus - that is the called the depth of field. The trick is that as soon as the camera focuses on anything beyond about 5m, then the depth of field is 5m to infinity - that means anything 5m or farther away is in focus. You still have to focus on something 5m away to get this *hyperfocal* mode.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. The imaging chip breaks each colour down into a number. This is say 256 levels (for 8 bit). What this means is the darkest thing it can detect is 1, the brightest is 255 (0 mean black). So, your darkest area is only 256 times darker than the lightest bit. This is the dynamic range. In some cases, you get a higher difference. Think of a bright sunny day and a person sitting under a tree in a shadow. The sky may be 1000 times brighter than the shadow. So you either get a sky which is blown out (ie too bright) or a shadow which is completely black.

To fix this, HDR takes several shots (normally 3). One is dark, so that the sky isn't blown out. The second is bright, so that the shadows aren't black. The third is a normal exposure so that everything that is neither dark or light is normal.

You combine the three by taking the bright image bits where the normal shot is too dark, and the dark image where the normal image is too bright, and leave the rest of the image alone. It looks a bit unnatural, however you see everything in the image.

Hope this helps
    12-10-14 12:10 AM
    Thanks so much for taking the time to explain that in simple terms, I appreciate it. Guess every day you learn something new!
    12-10-14 12:42 AM
    Yuuup. Don't use ur passport to take Christmas light pics. Poor pics christmas/concert lighting
    12-10-14 12:43 AM
    The Passport camera is very good for extreme close-ups. Here are some photos of tiny bugs on some flowers. The bugs (aphids) are about 1-1.5 mm long, and the flowers are 12-15 mm.

Passport Camera-img_20141127_162654_edit.jpg

Passport Camera-img_20141127_162415_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    12-10-14 12:51 AM
    Panoramic is nice

Passport Camera-img_20141205_122259_panorama.jpg

Posted two-handed via Passport
    12-10-14 02:03 AM
    I am also disappointed by the slow focus. Three weeks ago we wanted to take some photos at a birthday party. I was almost embarrassed by how bad the Passport performed, the focus was "hunting" and had trouble getting a lock. Other phones, including iPhone 5, Sony Z1 Compact and Galaxy S4 had no problems at all.
    On my unit, sometimes it works good and fast, sometimes it doesn't. For still objects it mostly works when light conditions are good. Moving objects, like a cat or dog however, even though they don't run, are simply frustrating. This is my second Passport, the first wasn't better with focusing at all.

Posted via CB10
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    12-10-14 02:13 AM
    I am also disappointed by the slow focus. Three weeks ago we wanted to take some photos at a birthday party. I was almost embarrassed by how bad the Passport performed, the focus was "hunting" and had trouble getting a lock. Other phones, including iPhone 5, Sony Z1 Compact and Galaxy S4 had no problems at all.
    On my unit, sometimes it works good and fast, sometimes it doesn't. For still objects it mostly works when light conditions are good. Moving objects, like a cat or dog however, even though they don't run, are simply frustrating. This is my second Passport, the first wasn't better with focusing at all.

Posted via CB10
    Well there is a trick while clicking pictures of cats and baby's using Passport. Wash them with flood lights and ensure they are sleeping.
    Use a Lux metering device to ensure it is at 300 minimum and spread evenly on the subject / object you wish to capture.

Passport takes amazing Pictures in such conditions...focus is instant...

For other situations please use dedicated camera...

Passport is Enterprise device hence good for capturing contracts printed on paper in office lighting etc. They look amazingly sharp and crisp. Specially when wind or AC blast isn't moving the paper...

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    12-10-14 08:52 AM
    Ok, slightly cheating as this is a stack of three photos, but here is another star shot - obviously very low light. Shows the focus and optical quality.

Passport Camera-out.jpg
    12-10-14 04:09 PM
    I took this two pics with the Passport Camera, took them in the kitchen counter top

Passport Camera-img_20141210_193327.jpg

Passport Camera-img_20141210_193202.jpg
    12-11-14 12:51 AM
    My biggest gripe was that when some friends were smiling for pics it too forever and several flashes later to take a pic. From the time I hit the picture button until the pic was taken wasl about 3-4 seconds. Maybe more

Posted using my amazing Passport
    12-13-14 11:01 AM
    I used the focus lock and Night mode last night and it worked great.

Passport Camera-img_20141214_191905.jpg

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    12-15-14 06:39 PM
    These are all very nice pictures. How about trying to get someone to smile in a picture? Like an actual person, instead of still objects.

It is unbelievable how bad the software of the camera is, considering out of the 40 pictures i took only 5 were 'not-blurry'. One half was at a restaurant, nighttime with plenty of light. Second was at home with, since we're not 'mole-people', plenty of light.

Maybe this is a throwback to the 1890's, where you had to sit still for about 3 minutes so it could properly focus. ( Now i'm pretty sure this is not true, but insert any random joke -that does work- where you have to sit still for an x period of time in order to get a proper picture ).

This is unacceptable for a flagship phone. Had my issues with the Q10, albeit not as much. How does stuff like this get through testing, smh.

On 10.3.1.1154.
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    12-20-14 04:46 PM
47 12