After the update to 10.3.1 my Passport is heating up and draining the battery in around 7 hours of very light use, I was getting 2 days before the update. The update has bedded in so it is not the cooling off period after the update (there's irony in that).‎

I have wiped the Passport to factory defaults then restored from backup, the phone was then fine for 2 days but has again then started heating up and draining the battery. The next step is the wipe and not to restore but I don't have the will, it is so time consuming. I have spent so many hours of my life wiping various different BlackBerry models due to various issues like this.*

What is annoying though is that BlackBerry offer no support for these types of problems (or any problems nowadays), the only support contact options are to tweet @blackberryhelp who don't bother to respond. That is just pathetic, we all know they are have a few cash flow issues etc at the moment but to not even offer phone support, they haven't even bothered with the cheap offshore option all the other vendors usually go down to cut costs.

@blackberry can I have my power efficient Passport back someway please and some acknowledgement that this is a problem.

Screenshot is attached to demonstrate how Standby! is zapping power.‎

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 04:28 PM
    Do you have any Android apps which might not be playing nice with 10.3.1?

I only ask because I have experienced no such battery problems after updating to 10.3.1 last week.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    03-06-15 04:31 PM
    I just purchased a BB Passport as well. I was enticed by, among other things, the lifespan of the battery (36 or 38 hours). I noticed that on the first day it lasted about 16 hours.On the second day, it has lasted about 22 hours, with not too heavy usage. I used to own a Z10 and carried a spare battery with me at all times so I could switch whenevr needed. Now I don't have the opportunity to do the same with the Passport. I now fear that with the unexpected shorter lifespan of the battery and without the ability to switch to a backup battery, I may end up with the phone dying on me when I am not in a position to recharge and so will be left without the service of my phone when needed. Is there a solution to this?
    03-06-15 05:44 PM
    I just purchased a BB Passport as well. I was enticed by, among other things, the lifespan of the battery (36 or 38 hours). I noticed that on the first day it lasted about 16 hours.On the second day, it has lasted about 22 hours, with not too heavy usage. I used to own a Z10 and carried a spare battery with me at all times so I could switch whenevr needed. Now I don't have the opportunity to do the same with the Passport. I now fear that with the unexpected shorter lifespan of the battery and without the ability to switch to a backup battery, I may end up with the phone dying on me when I am not in a position to recharge and so will be left without the service of my phone when needed. Is there a solution to this?
    My battery life has been great but if you're worried why not carry a power pack with you. I took one with me on my cruise to be able to charge various devices when power outlets were scarce. Very handy things and not overly expensive.

pajmarcs likes this.
    03-06-15 05:53 PM
    After the update to 10.3.1 my Passport is heating up and draining the battery in around 7 hours of very light use, I was getting 2 days before the update. The update has bedded in so it is not the cooling off period after the update (there's irony in that).‎

I have wiped the Passport to factory defaults then restored from backup, the phone was then fine for 2 days but has again then started heating up and draining the battery. The next step is the wipe and not to restore but I don't have the will, it is so time consuming. I have spent so many hours of my life wiping various different BlackBerry models due to various issues like this.*

What is annoying though is that BlackBerry offer no support for these types of problems (or any problems nowadays), the only support contact options are to tweet @blackberryhelp who don't bother to respond. That is just pathetic, we all know they are have a few cash flow issues etc at the moment but to not even offer phone support, they haven't even bothered with the cheap offshore option all the other vendors usually go down to cut costs.

@blackberry can I have my power efficient Passport back someway please and some acknowledgement that this is a problem.

Screenshot is attached to demonstrate how Standby! is zapping power.‎

Posted via CB10
    Turn the phone off and then back on. I have the same problem every other day after the 10.3.1 update. Standby should not be the dominant power drain.
    03-06-15 08:45 PM
    My battery life has been great but if you're worried why not carry a power pack with you. I took one with me on my cruise to be able to charge various devices when power outlets were scarce. Very handy things and not overly expensive.

That would be ridiculous. That is the whole point of having a Passport or a z30, long battery life so that you do not have to carry a plug or battery with you. It was perfect in 10.3.0. 10.3.1 has ruined it!
    03-06-15 08:47 PM
    That would be ridiculous. That is the whole point of having a Passport or a z30, long battery life so that you do not have to carry a plug or battery with you. It was perfect in 10.3.0. 10.3.1 has ruined it!
    I think you misread what I was saying. I have had my Passport since launch and my battery life is great even after 10.3.1.

If, however, you are worried about the possibility of the battery giving out then a power pack is a solution.

I have had very long battery life with my Passport and have never come close to running out of juice - but the possibility of such a situation was raised. I merely provided a viable solution.

Sorry you were offended.

03-06-15 09:49 PM
    I had a similar issue, which started about a week after the upgrade. Like you, I was not interested in doing a device wipe because that is SUCH a pain plus no real guaranty of success.

A number of people have reported this problem, and it appears that when they finally hit the solution, it turns out to be an app. In my case, I realized that I had installed the Android Kindle app shortly before the problem emerged. Importantly, the CPU usage was showing up in device manager as being either "system" or "standby" even though it turned out the app was the problem.

I found that both Kindle and the Amazon App store were hanging when I tried to launch them. Once I got Kindle to open--BOOM! CPU usage went down instantly and stayed down for several hours. Then it would start up again. So I finally deleted the app, and the problem has disappeared completely.

In my case, it was an easy app to give up. I've seen other post where there were recommendations to change the app permissions to prevent them from running in the background (app store and any other 'Droid apps you may suspect).

Bottom line is that this doesn't appear to be a bug in the OS itself rather than a change in the way certain Android apps are behaving post-upgrade. It is very annoying, but it is resolvable with a little detective work.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6098928) likes this.
    03-06-15 10:30 PM
    Interesting. The first time battery started to drain for my it was because the Amazon store app was hanging. I'll check kindle, too. I may have to get rid of it.
    03-06-15 10:48 PM
    I have just deleted a bunch of Android apps, will see if they are the cause. If battery improves I will reinstall one by one and monitor, what a pain. If it is an Android app BlackBerry have to sort device monitor out so they don't display as 'system' or 'standby' as the consumption source.

Also to the other post about turn it off and back again, all the basics have been done like that. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 03:28 AM
    After removing the Kindle app the battery performance has returned. At 21:00 the battery is still at 47% with around two and a half hours of GPS usage as well, so not particularly light usage either.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 03:13 PM
    Interesting. I'm using a Classic and just posted about this problem that I started experiencing for the last couple of days since I installed the Kindle app. I'm going to uninstall it now.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 03:22 PM
    Yep! I uninstalled the kindle app and reinstall the 2481 radio and no more heat or battery problems.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 04:35 PM
    I was having battery issues as well and took some advice from another thread and check for running Apps in the background including the Amazon app store. I shut all off which I didn't need and fully charged the phone and restarted it. It's been off charge now about 32hrs and currently at 47%, usually it was barely making it through the day on a charge.

Posted with my Great Passport
    03-07-15 05:24 PM
    Sorry for the stupid question but how can you find out if any Android App is running in the background?! I am experiencing the same problems as OT only a week after installing 10.3.1
    03-07-15 06:07 PM
    If it's similar to the Classic, device manager, memory should show you what is running even if not actively open, but in my experience the Kindle app was not listed.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:14 PM
    Sorry for the stupid question but how can you find out if any Android App is running in the background?! I am experiencing the same problems as OT only a week after installing 10.3.1
    Hello wildsau666 hopefully this will help but here is how I located the settings to change on my passport. Swipe down go to settings/App manager/Click App permissions hyper link (blue link) you should see installed Apps and check permissions for each one. I am attaching screen shot of the Amazon App store as an example.

Passport Battery Drain and Handset Temperature After 10.3.1-app-manager.png

Passport Battery Drain and Handset Temperature After 10.3.1-amazon-app.png

03-07-15 10:23 PM
    The new update has definitely made the battery life on the passport shorter.

I've got the same apps from 10.3 to 10.3.1 and have noticed now the display eats a lot of battery. Make

Before could go hours before hitting 90% now light use browsing and few apps it's in the 80's in no time.

Hope next update fixes.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 08:50 AM
    Clarification question. There is a difference between "run in background" and "run when minimized," correct? I don't really want to stop my apps from running when minimized. For example, if you are downloading an app from the amazon store, then minimize it, that would stop / pause the download if you leave the app to check another app (weather, twitter, etc) if I uncheck "run when minimized." I think the option people are looking for is "run in background" which I have deactivated except for my battery monitoring app.

BlackBerry Passport / OS 10.3.1.2480/ SQW100-3 / BBM 2C05E109
    03-08-15 01:11 PM
    Good question roba5263. Can anyone clarify the impact of stopping such apps as the Amazon store from 'Run when minimised'? After the battery fiasco with the Kindle app I have got into the habit of disabling that function on most Android apps, unless I feel it will break some critical functionality like the Skype app.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 05:02 PM
    I've tried finding the difference with no luck, maybe someone will chime in soon. I turned off 5 Apps with Evernote being the only one with the run in background option all the others had the minimize option. I only turned off apps I knew I didn't need to run. One thing for certain I am seeing a great change in battery drain. Time for a charge now but have been off charge since Friday morning.

03-08-15 05:16 PM
    Going to chip in here too - and ask if there are any other solutions than Android apps? My update is recent, but suddenly I go from 2 days to barely half a day of battery life and the device is warm to hot. Any other solutions out there?

Thanks,

Paul
    04-20-15 05:44 PM
    I've tried finding the difference with no luck, maybe someone will chime in soon. I turned off 5 Apps with Evernote being the only one with the run in background option all the others had the minimize option. I only turned off apps I knew I didn't need to run. One thing for certain I am seeing a great change in battery drain. Time for a charge now but have been off charge since Friday morning.

I have noticed a difference in battery life but it's a lot better lately no apps running when minimized except crackberry and no apps running in background. Took it off charge Sunday at 9:51am and I'm at 15% battery save is on at 25%
    Passport Battery Drain and Handset Temperature After 10.3.1-img_20150420_212608.png
    It will have to be charged tonight.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 08:32 PM
    I'll add to my plea for help that it was running fine before, with apps in the background etc, so this solution of turning everything off is fine in the short term.... but not why I bought this phone.
    04-20-15 08:56 PM
    I've tried everything to delete the amazon app store, nothing works for me, not even going in thru the chrome browser extension on my pc

Posted by Jzamalot
    04-20-15 09:12 PM
49 12