Hi all,

So I just purchased my new SE Passport and I am planning on using it on Wind Mobile.

Wind Mobile today just announced the launch of their LTE network expansion plans along with a name change to Freedom Mobile.

In the Globe and Mail article I read the quote was they were using "AWS-3" bands for the new network.

On ShopBlackberry's website they list the supported bands as follows

FD-LTE: 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,13,17,20
    HSPA +: 1,2,4,5/6, 8, EDGE

Would my Passport qualify for the new LTE speed? I am sure hoping to utilize it but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.

Thanks for any assistance anybody can offer.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 03:02 PM
    No, because they use band 66 for their AWS-3. Passport has no band 66. Most phones won't even support band 66 until next year, let alone a device from essentially 2014. Only one other carrier, T-Mobile, is even using band 66 and even T-Mobile has hardly rolled it out.
    11-22-16 01:37 AM
    Hello curves2000,

I read that WIND/Freedom will be using band 4 (AWS 1) in Ottawa and eastern Ontario. If you live there, you will have access to LTE. Hope you like the Passport. I just bought an SE too!

Reg
    11-22-16 09:15 AM
    I'm on T-Mobile, and lately I've been dropping calls and seeing low coverage areas, unlike before. I wonder if it's this switch to the additional LTE band?
    11-23-16 11:12 AM
    I'm on T-Mobile, and lately I've been dropping calls and seeing low coverage areas, unlike before. I wonder if it's this switch to the additional LTE band?

I am not sure about T-Mobile. I know that up here in Canada it appears that Wind (Freedom Mobile now) are using specific LTE bands that have yet to be used before by the other major Canadian carriers.

Since I bought my Passport from Shop Blackberry and wasn't aware if other global standards would allow the phone to work on this new band.

Good luck with your situation. Perhaps documenting calls that are dropped can assist with your coverage concerns if you pass it along to T-Mobile directly.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-16 02:22 PM
    Hi Folks,

Here's the link I mentioned in my previous post. Only a small number of phones are capable of using band 66 (those that are "future-ready" according to Freedom Mobile), but customers in Ottawa (as well as Kingston and Peterborough) will not require a future-ready phone to access the LTE network! Is Freedom making a political statement? Lol!

Freedom Mobile | LTE

Reg
    11-23-16 05:13 PM