Has anyone seen anything on this? Is it even possible to wipe a Passport and install the latest Android OS?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 10:05 AM
    no the hardware can't run the android OS
    10-27-16 10:08 AM
    And before anyone chimes in with that one prototype, again, prototype. Never intended for general distribution.
    10-27-16 10:10 AM
    I was wondering since android apps seem to run on it... ughh so hope that BlackBerry puts out a version with the Android OS. I love BB10 and it works really well for me but no-one wants to support it and it's difficult to use some business apps..

Frustrating that I'm forced to switch to another OS and phone.

Posted via CB10
    Kyle Montanaro likes this.
    10-27-16 10:45 AM
    No. The android apps are run by a 'hosted' kernel that's running under the supervision of BB10.

Not going to happen, the Passport is way old hardware and there would be just NO incentive for BB to "retrofit" it to run Android. Cost would be prohibitive.
    10-27-16 11:03 AM
    Plenty of thread on this subject, and your not the only one that will be forced to another OS.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 03:10 PM
    From my point of view Android took BB10 down. Before that strange marriage with Android my BlackBerry runs much better. Every Android app is way too much power and data hungry.
    But it might be just me.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 04:34 AM
    I have both a Passport and Priv, and beforehand also had other android phones. I think what really consumes the battery on OS 10 is not the android apps themselves but rather the way they are implemented on the runtime. Before I bought the Priv, every android app on the passport was making it heat up real bad and I was getting worried that the priv would be like that constantly. Luckily it turned out untrue. And although the Priv lasts less than a day and the screen is not the same as the Passport, I'm pretty sure that by now, a lot of things have been ironed out.

My wife wants me to sell the Passport while it's still worth something, and I'm holding on to it because I loved it so much and because a stupid part of me still hopes we'll figure out how to wipe off OS 10 and put an android on that...
    11-06-16 02:36 AM
    Like the old saying goes, evolve or die. It dors suck to give up things we enjoy for sake of something "better". But android will grow on you. And tbh, not like BB didnt have a chance to evolve with the times. It will take time, but trust me, you'll come around to the while android thing. I'm a BB man through and through. But i can appreciate the android os. Ppl say its bloated, which i disagree. Comoared to bb10 yes. But much better than ios in my opinion. ios lets you do nothing.
    11-06-16 07:40 AM
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/04/al...roid-handsets/

Sound familiar?

Android is not only... scratch that... Android has not only killed BB10, they're also doing a number on iOS globally as well. iOS will be a global 5 - 10% bit player and Android will dominate.

Enjoy your Passport for what it is because at this point, it's all it will ever be and all it will ever do.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 10:21 AM