I know this has been touched on probably 1,000 times but I am really torn between these two phones. I want both but can only have one or the other.

I just want some help in choosing which one I should get. I love going against the grain and being the odd ball, but I feel like the app gap is too much to overcome. I wanted to watch the World Series yesterday and I couldn't on my Z10. A guy at worked fired up his iPhone 4 (yes a 4) and turned on the app and was watching it. We used the same app (Fox). It seems odd that a i4 could handle the app and my Z10 which is a couple of years later couldn't use the app.

How does the PP really handle all android apps? They need to pretty much all work for me to invest almost all of the price of a phone that uses all apps like a champ. Especially the video apps. Netflix, Espn, Fox, etc

I love BlackBerry and would love to continue using them, but until they really close the gap on apps they can't move forward. Like it or not we are in an app driven world and they need to work on it so that they don't fall by the wayside forever. It's sad that a decision like this is being made by a stupid thing like apps that should be able to be fixed with no problem.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247

Posted via CB10
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    10-22-14 05:15 PM
    If you can live without Google Play Services in Android apps, you should notice no app gap. That's the honest situation of BlackBerry10 on 10.3.1 (to be released later this year - and we're halfway through October).

If you want BB10 and a freaking big screen, Passport.

If you want major support from devs and a freaking big screen, Plus.
    10-22-14 05:22 PM
    Sorry, you probably shouldn't have started on the BlackBerry platform to begin with.
    And I mean that totally seriously, no trolling intended, the description you give is exactly that of a person who does not benefit from BB10 main functions/features. You didn't even mention one must have feature that you would miss.

A lot of Android apps are supported yes, most of those 100%, some less. 10.3.1 will improve it even further. But it is impossible to guarantee more than that. The browser works wonders in most cases if you have players available there by the way.

Heads up, we are not in an app-driven world. We are in a hype-driven world. App is just the latest cool name for "ways to access content".
    Since you used BB10 for a while you will probably start missing some of the easy accessible features and integration it offers. I guess you won't know which is more important to you until you try: Media and Apps, or reliable connectivity and ease of communication.

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    thymaster, Q10Bold and wojciechp like this.
    10-22-14 05:27 PM
    If you can live without Google Play Services in Android apps, you should notice no app gap. That's the honest situation of BlackBerry10 on 10.3.1 (to be released later this year - and we're halfway through October).

Thank you for responding. I'll definitely hold off on getting one until 10.3 is released later on. I know some of the apps hang or don't work (Wwe network) on my Z10. I hope this is corrected with 10.3 across all devices and not just PP. I would keep my z10 for a longer period of time.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:28 PM
    Have not received my Passport yet. But the 6+ is freaking awesome!! In every way possible...(but I did order a Passport)
    10-22-14 05:31 PM
    Thank you for responding. I'll definitely hold off on getting one until 10.3 is released later on. I know some of the apps hang or don't work (Wwe network) on my Z10. I hope this is corrected with 10.3 across all devices and not just PP. I would keep my z10 for a longer period of time.
    You know you can always load a leak and preview right? That would help ou test what apps are working too.

Backup your phone (full backup) then create a 2nd custom backup without selecting "BlackBerry Runtime" and Settings. 1st backup will be used to get your phone back to how it was if you decide to go bck to 10.2.1. 2nd to get your apps and saves to 10.3.1.

After that load http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...8-live-970058/ and restore the 2nd backup over it. You'll have to mess up with settings again and add mail/social accounts but that's about it.
    10-22-14 05:35 PM
    I wanted to watch the World Series yesterday and I couldn't on my Z10. A guy at worked fired up his iPhone 4 (yes a 4) and turned on the app and was watching it. We used the same app (Fox). It seems odd that a i4 could handle the app and my Z10 which is a couple of years later couldn't use the app.

How does the PP really handle all android apps? They need to pretty much all work for me to invest almost all of the price of a phone that uses all apps like a champ. Especially the video apps. Netflix, Espn, Fox, etc

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247

Posted via CB10
    I watched the game yesterday (go K.C.!) on my Q10 using the official MLB At Bat app.

When I had my Z10 I'd use it all the time as a media player hooked up to the TV using an HDMI cable to stream baseball and Netflix.

BB10 phones don't get the credit they're due as awesome media machines.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.800 I Bell | CB10
    10-22-14 05:40 PM
    They are SO different that its more of a personal choice
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-22-14 05:40 PM
    OP - First, there is an MLB app which works fine on Z10 and Z30. 2nd, 1mobile has virtually all the cable providers main apps. I use Xfinity TV Go and it also works fine on Z10 and Z30. 3rd - Really? The two devices could not be more different. It's like going on a vehicle forum and asking about the new Escalade vs. the new Mustang. What are you looking to do? The PP is specifically geared to business folks who need super long battery life, physical keyboard and BB infrastructure. Iphones are more geared toward media consumption. Both devices can handle all tasks admirably, but they have an entirely different focus.
    10-22-14 05:44 PM
    PP by a long shot. Iphone 6 plus is just too tall and it's build quality is very suspect.

Posted via the Blackberry Passport
    10-22-14 06:02 PM
    Emanuel,

I have both, and they each have their plus & minus' ! If you are hooked on social media, and are hung-up on using tons of apps, the iPhone 6+ is your better device. I don't find it as a huge improvement over the iPhone 5s, other than the larger screen, a little better battery life, and a better camera........... iOS is iOS it's been pretty much the same over the last few years. Simple operating system, and socially acceptable

If you are emailing using multiple accounts light or heavy use this is what Blackberry has out-shined everyone for years! Simply have a facebook and/or an instagram social media account they both work fine for me, enjoy desktop like web-browsing, must have a visual notification light, and the BIGGEST advantage extremely long battery life, then the Passport is the device you want!

Camera wise, I find them pretty much comparable, but others will say the iPhone camera is better. I'm not huge on the camera be scrutinized like others. I take a few pictures, and its a picture using a portable device, not a camera only!

You really can't go wrong with either, it's just totally up to you and your main needs, and what you focus on mostly.

It's a pleasure leaving my house for work at 6AM, and NEVER worrying about battery life all day, and when I say all day I mean all day. Sometimes I don't make it home till 9 or 10 in the evening, and there is still plenty of battery life on my Passport. Heavy using the iPhone 6+ will have you charging it late in the afternoon for sure.

Good Luck, hope my post helps you decide!

Matt
    10-22-14 06:03 PM
    NHL GameCenter Android app works fine on my Passport.

I carry both an iPhone 6 and a Passport. They're both great.

Maybe try loading 10.3 or 10.3.1 on your Z10 to see how it works? The Passport has more ram and processor power, but you can at least try the updated runtime.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    10-22-14 06:28 PM
    It sounds like you should just go with the iphone 6 plus if you are that torn and you believe the world is app driven. They are both great phones that have their strengths and weaknesses.

I love my passport. It has the apps I need. I have a galaxy tab and ipad2 so I have access to the other app stores but I look at my usage and I really don't use a lot of apps. I'm not big into instagram/snapchat or the latest app of the day. it's not a huge deal for me if a particular app isn't available or runs perfect on my passport.

I use my passport as an efficient communication device and for access to information. Most mobile sites do the trick for me. The passports awesome keyboard, build quality (I tend to drop my phones once in a while), LED light and BB10's smooth gesture based functions are the reasons I love my Passport. Every time I hit the home button on an iphone would make me miss BB10. To each his own.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 07:47 PM
    I'm not going to knock the iPhone, it really is a decent device.

But honestly, after "working wide", I don't think I can ever go back to a narrow screen phone again.

Passport is simply my cup of tea.
    10-22-14 08:01 PM
    I agree to disagree with you. android apps work faster on Passport than on my Google stock Moto X.
    if you want big screen, better resolution, faster than best phone as of today...-> BlackBerry Passport
    rawat_sandip likes this.
    10-22-14 08:25 PM
    For what it's worth, I upgraded to the 10.3 OS on my z10 and so far every media app I have tried works.
    ESPN was working in 10.2 but now I also get Big Ten Network NBC sports, of course netflix and everybody app I have tried works.

There should be no app issue with the passport.

Though if that is all you do the iPhone will be better for video with the 16x9 ratio but everything thing else will look great on the 1x1.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 08:59 PM

This is good well thought out advice. Most Android apps work ok, but seem to drain a lot of power.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-22-14 11:02 PM
    Each user is different. For me, I really need iOS apps. For whatever reason the Android versions I downloaded to my Z30 either cannot be installed or loaded. Looking to make a 6 Plus my primary phone now.

Posted via CB10 | VZW Z30 on at&t LTE
    10-23-14 12:09 AM
    For what it's worth, I've patched (Using gmaps patcher) every single app I use that needs Google Play and they all work fine. This takes about 5 minutes to do per app.

These include

Lyft
    AirBNB
    Trulia
    Zillow

I've even gotten Google Hangouts to work with a patched old Google Talk apk. The UI is terrible, but it works fine. (Even shows in the hub)

So for me the app gap is about .05% Almost nothing. I can take screenshots if you'd like. The Passport is an awesome device.

I don't use sports viewing apps, so can't speak to those.
    10-23-14 12:34 AM
    i love my iPhone 6. But i don't understand the iPhone 6+. The iPhone 6+ is an inferior device to all of the android counterparts. The note 4 & nexus 6 are the same size or smaller than the 6+, while having bigger & better screens! at least the 6 is smaller the the s5, moto x; etc.
    10-23-14 01:00 AM
    i love my iPhone 6. But i don't understand the iPhone 6+. The iPhone 6+ is an inferior device to all of the android counterparts. The note 4 & nexus 6 are the same size or smaller than the 6+, while having bigger & better screens! at least the 6 is smaller the the s5, moto x; etc.
    Much better battery life and screen then the 6, landscape mode. Seems like smaller is your only plus?

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:16 AM
    Thank you to all who have commented and given me advice on this subject. I have read everything and will wait to make a decision. I didn't want to quite everyone personally to say thank you as that would take forever.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    10-23-14 06:20 AM
    You are probably best sticking with the iPhone since apps is your top priority. So Blackberry can side load Android apps but Android apps still trail far behind from iOS. There's no such thing as the perfect phone for the mass but it's finding the right phone that suits you best.
    10-23-14 06:26 AM
    You don't have to side load android apps anymore. Just load them over the air. I have the snap app and I can get any android app I want.

That said, the iPhone still may be the better choice.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 11:04 AM
    Much better battery life and screen then the 6, landscape mode. Seems like smaller is your only plus?

Posted via CB10
    Of course smaller is a priority. That's why I don't have a phablet. Oh and landscape mode is pretty bad on the 6+. If I wanted a phablet I would get one of the phablets that are worth the size trade off. The nexus 6 has a 6" screen but it's almost the same physical size as the 6+. The note 4 is smaller than the 6+ with a bigger screen. & the note 4 and the nexus 6 have screens that are muchhhh better than 6+.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 12:03 PM