I originally updated my Passport to the update Rogers sent out since I was having software bugs on my Passport (AT&T eventually released the same update, skipped the 10.3.1 mistake as I didn't trust it lol).

I purchased a Z10 and Z30 from shopblackberry since the start of the sale unlocked and on setup updated to the latest OS. The Z10 was and still is on SR 10.2.1.3062. Turned off automatic updates and every few days just for the hell of it would search for any new software.

I happened to look over at my Z30 today and saw the LED blinking from a HUB Notification that I have a new software update. This was after I had completed the initial install and OS update and checked for updates every few days. The Z30 then updated to SR 10.2.1.3062 on my command. Not sure what it was running prior to this.

My point being that it seems like the unlocked devices from shopblackberry receive OS updates OTA as available for the device directly from BlackBerry over WiFi. It is worth mentioning that I have not put a carrier SIM card in either phone yet. This is contradictory to what many on here believe. When I startup the Zs, there is no carrier screen and I received the update OTA via WiFi only.

My thoughts are that once the carrier SIM card is in the device, as on my Passport, I then have to wait for AT&T to release the update. When I startup my Passport I see the AT&T screen, whereas on the other devices that have not had a SIM card from a carrier, just connected to WiFi, I am getting direct OS updates.

Just thought that was interesting and worth noting. Having a bit of buyers remorse on the Z10 and Z30 which I have both in white with black backs and already had leather pocket pouches from my Verizon devices. They were impulse buys I thought were too good to pass on, but now will not be getting a Classic which I think I'd rather have as a second device for $449! So I haven't used either yet other than updating the OS and adding my music and pics. Weird as I never had a phone with a keyboard until the Passport.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that it would make sense that if I used my Passport over WiFi and never attached a carrier to the device I would be getting OTA updates straight from BlackBerry as well. Since it is activated on AT&T it seems I have to wait for them.

This seems to solve the "do I or do I not get direct updates if I buy unlocked". Just my observations!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 09:10 PM
    Right. This is typical behavior for unlocked BB10 phones. OSes are actually always pushed by BB, but unlike with branded devices, BB doesn't depend on carriers' permission to push to factory unlocked phones. In fact, even after you 'tether' your phone to AT&T, if you take out your SIM card and check for updates on WiFi, you should be able to pull something down irrespective of whether or not BB has put something out at AT&T's behest.
    11-14-14 09:29 PM
    Right. This is typical behavior for unlocked BB10 phones. OSes are actually always pushed by BB, but unlike with branded devices, BB doesn't depend on carriers' permission to push to factory unlocked phones. In fact, even after you 'tether' your phone to AT&T, if you take out your SIM card and check for updates on WiFi, you should be able to pull something down irrespective of whether or not BB has put something out at AT&T's behest.
    So if I were to take out my AT&T SIM card I'd get the latest OTA from BlackBerry over WiFi? Seemed like a lot of Passport owners on here tried taking out their SIM card to get the 10.3.0.908 update, but weren't able to.

Also, if I remove my SIM I believe I still see the AT&T screen on startup unlike the other devices that have never been on a mobile network as of yet. Still deciding what to do with them lol. Thought they were good deals especially since I already had leather pouches, screen protectors, etc. I just really like the one model approach that BlackBerry took with the Passport and Classic.

Especially with voice over LTE coming; my BBs usually last forever, but they can only support what they can depending on the model. Thought that was stupid and glad Chen fixed that, but I just bought good old Thor's Z devices ahhh lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 09:59 PM