I'm going commit journalistic suicide. When did convenience, the number of features and apps determine the quality and usefulness of a phone? Reviewers and many bloggers forum contributors Enthusaists. I can appreciate that. Apple does what Apple does extremely well. But what if I want an orange? Does that make Apple any less? And so it goes for Samsung as well. Who builds a bad $500 or more smartphone really? What if all I really want (read need) is a two way communication device that is quality built with longevity and simplicity of use in mind. That would last a very long day on a single charge. A device that is secure, easy to read and puts all my communications in one place. Throw in a fairly decent camera, the ability to play a YouTube video now and then and a dozen good apps (half dozen works) and a calender.
    I would be willing to bet that would be the ideal device for a great many users. Isn't that the Blackberry Passport?
    It has been said that we don't see the world the way the world is. We see the world the way we are. The "standard" is what we become accustomed to. I own 920, 1020 and 1520 Windows phones. I own an Apple 5s and recently spent time with both iPhone 6's. My daily driver is a Samsung Note Edge. I would recommend any of these devices in a heartbeat. But at the end of the day, what I actually use is what I think the Balckberry Passport delivers. Yup, I'll have to learn a new system. Here's what my experience with phones has taught me. I never met a high end device I didn't like. I just like some more than others. You have to find something that works well for you. And I'm not so sure we know what that is anymore. We ask our friends, read reviews, fondle a few devices at the store. Someone else decides. Walk into a Verizon or AT&T store and dare a salesperson to show you a Windows or Blackberry device. Look at the reviewer's ratings and rarely does the Passport receive favorable numbers. Then look at user reviews. Really well accepted. And I have to give up my favorite app (as if I can't find another) for a better over all experience well I'm okay with that. I find it odd that complaints about no app selection is a major consideration while users are more than willing to not only settle for, but viemently defend only two operating systems. Sorry about the length.
    02-25-15 07:22 PM
    Well put. I couldn't agree more. My buddy gave up BB for an IPhone 5s and he was happy with it. Me I love my BB. We do different things and what works for one does work for all.
    02-25-15 07:45 PM
    Great post!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 07:51 PM
    Features, build quality and size all make up the user experience.
    Just take the whole Blackberry OS and stuff it in a Samsung S6 (yes, the newer, thinner one), or the iPhone 6 and would you be a happier Blackberry user? I bet there will still be a few detractors.

Maybe we should all be like Gibbs in NCIS or a few more Parisians or Japanese or millennials, and do as they seem to be doing; going back to the flip phone.
    We want something that works, why does it always have to be 're-invented' in a year or two?
    Bottom line? profit?
    I think the 'standard' is now what the companies think we should have. Not so much what we want, or need.
    Nice post.
    Last edited by GeoK; 02-26-15 at 04:18 AM.
    bold007 likes this.
    02-25-15 08:46 PM
    You have started my position much more clearly than I could have. You have made the BlackBerry case very clearly. For that I am grateful.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:29 PM
    Phones are over rated. People get wowed by the premise of making a movie or a cartoon on their phone. They get it and download the apps and they never use it for those things. In the end 90% of what we do is text and email and social media. That's why I still use BlackBerry. It's the best at what matters.

I respect that other want phones that can "do it all" so they don't get left out one day. That feeling of getting left out because you can't be one of the cool kids is a powerful thing. It does cloud our judgement on whats best for us.

Think of it this way. The last guy who made fun of your blackberrys tiny screen is probably drooling over the next smart watch which has a smaller screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:58 PM
    Phones are over rated. People get wowed by the premise of making a movie or a cartoon on their phone. They get it and download the apps and they never use it for those things. In the end 90% of what we do is text and email and social media. That's why I still use BlackBerry. It's the best at what matters.

Think of it this way. The last guy who made fun of your blackberrys tiny screen is probably drooling over the next smart watch which has a smaller screen.

Posted via CB10
    Well said

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 10:40 PM
    I'm going commit journalistic suicide. When did convenience, the number of features and apps determine the quality and usefulness of a phone? Reviewers and many bloggers forum contributors Enthusaists. I can appreciate that. Apple does what Apple does extremely well. But what if I want an orange? Does that make Apple any less? And so it goes for Samsung as well. Who builds a bad $500 or more smartphone really? What if all I really want (read need) is a two way communication device that is quality built with longevity and simplicity of use in mind. That would last a very long day on a single charge. A device that is secure, easy to read and puts all my communications in one place. Throw in a fairly decent camera, the ability to play a YouTube video now and then and a dozen good apps (half dozen works) and a calender.
    I would be willing to bet that would be the ideal device for a great many users. Isn't that the Blackberry Passport?
    It has been said that we don't see the world the way the world is. We see the world the way we are. The "standard" is what we become accustomed to. I own 920, 1020 and 1520 Windows phones. I own an Apple 5s and recently spent time with both iPhone 6's. My daily driver is a Samsung Note Edge. I would recommend any of these devices in a heartbeat. But at the end of the day, what I actually use is what I think the Balckberry Passport delivers. Yup, I'll have to learn a new system. Here's what my experience with phones has taught me. I never met a high end device I didn't like. I just like some more than others. You have to find something that works well for you. And I'm not so sure we know what that is anymore. We ask our friends, read reviews, fondle a few devices at the store. Someone else decides. Walk into a Verizon or AT&T store and dare a salesperson to show you a Windows or Blackberry device. Look at the reviewer's ratings and rarely does the Passport receive favorable numbers. Then look at user reviews. Really well accepted. And I have to give up my favorite app (as if I can't find another) for a better over all experience well I'm okay with that. I find it odd that complaints about no app selection is a major consideration while users are more than willing to not only settle for, but viemently defend only two operating systems. Sorry about the length.
    Far too often I feel like we forget that our phone is a PHONE. I yearn to get back to the basics.
    Serkle K, ralfyguy and alan510 like this.
    02-25-15 10:53 PM
    Amen

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:52 AM

I respect that other want phones that can "do it all" so they don't get left out one day. That feeling of getting left out because you can't be one of the cool kids is a powerful thing. It does cloud our judgement on whats best for us.

Posted via CB10
    This. People are now living in a delusion that a phone can replace their laptop, camera and other thing. It can but it does not mean that it should.

Silly how people want a smart watch that can display notification when their phone is in their pocket. And they want to type on that thing! Lazy generation is lazy. And I'm from this generation. Hooray.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2243
    andy957 likes this.
    02-26-15 09:15 AM
    This. People are now living in a delusion that a phone can replace their laptop, camera and other thing. It can but it does not mean that it should.

Silly how people want a smart watch that can display notification when their phone is in their pocket. And they want to type on that thing! Lazy generation is lazy. And I'm from this generation. Hooray.

The trend that device manufacturers are on cannot be sustained. The more functions and devices they try to merge into a phone continues decreasing the quality of the things the mobile phone was meant to do in the first place. It's the same reason you cannot use the iPad as a laptop replacement (no matter how much they try to present it as such)! My primary interest in switching from the 6+ to the PP is because I want a device that excels at 1) voice quality 2) reception quality 3) messaging 4) ease and functionality of emailing 5) a usable, desktop experience in a web browser. Let's get back to the basics everyone. Aren't those reasons we all chose BBY initially?
    Last edited by vvildstar; 02-26-15 at 01:13 PM.
    02-26-15 10:31 AM
    What I find weird is people saying that they want a communications device and don't care about apps, so Blackberry is their choice.

Fair enough.

But what's missing from our phones? I have all the apps I need and want, my phone does as much if not more than other people's.

I choose my BlackBerry because it is better than the alternatives, not because it is just strong communications, but because it is communications plus everything else.

Posted via CB10
    alan510 and JG_Agustin like this.
    02-26-15 11:00 AM

I agree about not replacing a laptop. But, you apparently haven't read reviews of the LG G3 camera by professional photographers. No, it won't replace a multi-lens high end camera. But 99% of us can't afford one and have no clue how to fully use one.

I'm about to sell my smartwatch. I agree that there are lots of times it's not necessary. But for people like me who use public transportation and sometimes ends up in some "interesting" areas, getting notifications on my wrist is a much nicer idea than whipping out a nice smartphone that some might like to steal.

I blog and write. So, having a Passport or a Z Ultra can replace a computer for some research or quick note taking. And maybe a quick TV show to catch up. On the other hand, that's why the smartwatch is going. I tend to wear a watch all the time. So, having my wrist regularly vibrating when I'm trying to focus on what I'm writing is a huge unwelcome distraction.
    andy957 likes this.
    02-26-15 11:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    My email organization workflow improved considerably with the Passport to the point where I don't need a Laptop or a tablet. Just a Passport and a Workstation PC.

It's gotten to the point where I only email through my phone. I'm inbetween phones atm, deciding between a few different BlackBerry models. But the Passport was a wonderful communication device, though a little large for around-town usage.

Well said. Phones are overrated, but the Passport is beginning to supplant a dedicated Email program on my PC. Oddly enough.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 11:50 AM
    I think back over the years and which phone do I miss most? My Nokia 6510. No apps, snake as a game, but it was near unbreakable and hung onto a signal better than most other phones

SQW 1. 10.3.1.2267
    02-26-15 11:59 AM
    I think back over the years and which phone do I miss most? My Nokia 6510. No apps, snake as a game, but it was near unbreakable and hung onto a signal better than most other phones

SQW 1. 10.3.1.2267
    Snake will always remain the best cell phone game. Don't forget the custom led antenna and/or keyboard!
    02-26-15 12:56 PM
    Well said, hehe you said Fart lol

Z10
    02-26-15 01:08 PM
    Well said - I meant, well written...

Posted via CB 10 from rockin' Z30
    vvildstar likes this.
    02-26-15 01:11 PM

SQW 1. 10.3.1.2267
    The phone I miss the most was my nokia E72. That's an absolute beast at the time. I still think that phone would be viable even now minus some connection. Pair it with a tablet and rock n roll.

02-26-15 04:05 PM
    You really don't know how much I appreciate your post. I find it bizarre how obsessed people get over useless gadgetry. After using my Passport for just over a week now I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm even thinking about attempting to develop an app for it just to see if I can do it.
    02-27-15 12:28 AM
    For people like me to insist on using BlackBerry during 9900/Z10/Q10, this post brings a lot of memories. A lot of peer pressures back then. But with Passport, I actually feel sorry for those people who owns iPhone 6 or 6 plus. I do.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:39 AM
    I have written allot of posts about my experience with my BlackBerry devices here in the USA and I always tell folks to get what best fits their needs. I have watched most of my once BlackBerry dedicated clients switch to IOS and Android, but I have decided to stick with the brand regardless of what they are using.

Why! Because I fits MY needs and even when I came close to going over to the other side this week, I had sold my classic and my red passport and even made a little profit to switch over to my iPhone 6 and IOS 8.

Well, after just three days using the iPhone as my daily driver, I saw a used black passport come up for sale on Kijji Canada for a great price and with the US dollar being where it's at made it even a better deal. I met the person in Sarnia and they even knocked off 20 bucks to unlock it because it was locked to Telus.

I sent off for the unlock code and in the meantime I updated the device to 10.3.1 using the Blitz method and also did the flickering fix while I was at it. Sold my iPhone 6 and not looking back. Yeah I came close, but there is something about BlackBerry that keeps calling me back. Weird but true and I still proudly preach the brand wherever I go here.

Now my only concern is if I ever have a warranty issue I am hosed because of the ****y warranty policy that BlackBerry has. Oh well, I will worry about that issue if and when it ever happens. Anyways I am happy I didn't cross over to the other side and dam I love the look on folks faces when I pull out the passport and hear them say, what the hell is that! Enough said.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    02-27-15 04:53 AM
    So I live in the second largest city, reported the fasted growing area in Michigan. There are three AT&T stores within a twenty minute drive. There is even an bonifide Apple Store. The NEAREST AT&T STORE that actually has a Blackberry Passport in stock is over TWO HOURS and 100 MILES away!
    Years ago I bought the Galaxy Note. THE Note. The first Note. Yup the one that people scoffed at. Laughed at. Reviewers ridiculed and vowed would never fly. It was ridiculously too large. It had a 5.3 inch screen.
    My Passport should arrive early next week. Going to be a long weekend. Yup I'm a bit nervous. These old paws aren't as nimble as they once were. And so the unfamiliar goes. Still there is something magnetic about the unfamiliar. There's a challenge lingering here. Instant gratification isn't anticipated. There are however expectations. Expectations that I feel will be more than met. I don't whant a phone I have to plug in every eight hours. A phone that I have to press buttons every time I gat a notification.I would like to try a keyboard I can actually feel. A device that I don't have to go to eight different places to address who is trying to communicate with me. Rather than having a device that is entertaining I would much rather have a device that I can simply live with. Long term. Shortcomings and all. That kind of gratification. That relationship.
    And if it doesn't work out I'm going to blame all of you.
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    02-28-15 05:46 PM
    While reading posts concerning wireless phones I imaged people a hundred years from now running across this stuff. I'll let your imagination run with that.
    My concern is what happens when consumers stop supporting the alternatives? Or more accurately experiencing those alternatives for themselves.
    02-28-15 06:17 PM
    @Blindpuppy. Very well said. Please allow this one final thought.

If there were a better device to do the things I want and need to do. I'd be using it.

BleedBlk-
    02-28-15 06:29 PM
38 12