I've used the Playbook charger for the Passport since October, and for my Z30 prior to that with no known issues

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 11:47 AM
    I was using the PlayBook charger for my 9860, the Z10, the Z30, now the passport!
    Never had a problem with, it charges faster than the chargers coming with the phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    05-12-15 12:58 PM
    Again most people use the premium/playbook charger without noticing any issues, but the extra heat will degrade the battery faster. Yes, the software on the device limits this to a certain extent. This is why there is a noticeable difference in chargers and how fast they charge as well as the heat they give off.

The software also trickles the charge to almost nothing once full, but with the initial charge up there is more heat with the PlayBook charger. I've researched enough on this along with using the battery and system analyzer app for comparisons and decided for me that the 850mah charger that came with the Z30 was best for the long term with us having both the Passport and Z devices in our house.

Most information that you will read about lithium ion batteries online will tell you to either use the stock charger that came with the device or another high quality charger with equal or lower output. I liked the bucket of water explanation. Again, the software will dictate but only to a certain extent which explains why you have those reporting that the PlayBook charger is faster; it is also hotter. Also, any degradation will likely not be noticeable, but it does not mean there is none happening.

It is pretty negligible and using the device for gaming and other CPU intensive things will give off much more heat than using the PlayBook charger, but just for my own peace of mind (and the differences from the BaSA app), I prefer the 850mah BlackBerry charger. The stock Passport charger is slightly hotter as is the PlayBook charger. Don't really feel I need to have so much heat when I charge at least every other day.

In reality it's mostly a moot point though since playing games and using the device will heat the battery more than the PlayBook charger will and using the PlayBook charger works fine for many and gives them a faster charge. I just have my own personal preference based on solid facts regarding lithium ion batteries.

Posted via CB10
    fanisk likes this.
    05-12-15 01:37 PM
    I use those chargers too. No problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 10:40 AM
    I spent a lot of time looking into lithium ion batteries and chargers and am using the Z30 charger on all BlackBerry devices. Opted out of buying the premium charger due to heat degradation as well as current although the software should limit this. With the 850mah charger the Passport temp will go from room temp of 68F to a max of 72F. In all honesty we will have likely moved on to another device by the time the degrading of the battery is even noticeable, but figured the 850mah charger is good for the Passport and Z devices in our home.

Shopblackberry sells a standard NA charger @ 1300mah (same as stock Passport charger) and a premium charger which is, if I remember correctly, 1.2 amps. Just my thoughts. Many here use the premium charger from the Z10 to the Passport without issue for years. Just have too much data on LI batteries stuck in my head. A bit OCD lol.

Posted via CB10
    I purchased a Ventev double 2.1 amp charger and seems to working fine with all of my devices including my Passport. However, it does seem to get warm when the battery is charging. If I remember correctly any high heat discharge coming from battery will eventually damage the battery. So for battery protection I've swtiched back to the charger that came with the device. The oem car charger is 1.8 amps and charges relatively fast and no heat is felt. The Ventev charger is 2.1amps and will get the battery moderately warm.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 06-04-15 at 06:11 AM.
    05-13-15 11:18 AM
    I use the PlayBook charger and I don't notice the phone getting unusually hot. But then again I only have to charge my Passport at night and don't use it while it's being charged. Usually around 1AM to 2AM.

The other one goes on a wireless charger and doesn't get used until the morning.

Any device I've used gets hot while being charged and used at the same time as it tends to draw more current to charge the battery and power up the display at the same time. I try to give my phones as much rest as I can at night to recharge.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 01:53 PM
    I seem to have bad luck with chargers out of the box. I finally just got my new Passport. It did the initial charge, plus one more over night, then failed sometime during the second night - only charged to 67%, and would not work at all after that. My Z10 from 2+ years ago - didn't work ever. I have 3 Playbooks in the house - 2 out of the 3 chargers supplied failed after a few months. All my older chargers from Torch, and Curve vintages still work and I still use them on the newer devices.
    06-01-15 10:27 AM
    I seem to have bad luck with chargers out of the box. I finally just got my new Passport. It did the initial charge, plus one more over night, then failed sometime during the second night - only charged to 67%, and would not work at all after that. My Z10 from 2+ years ago - didn't work ever. I have 3 Playbooks in the house - 2 out of the 3 chargers supplied failed after a few months. All my older chargers from Torch, and Curve vintages still work and I still use them on the newer devices.
    I think you shuld buy yourself a stabilizer. Probably the voltage in your house is not stable. Or the specific socket to charge your phone is broken somehow, causing damaged to any electronics.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-01-15 02:20 PM
    I also tried the PB charger for the first time yesterday with my Passport. I unplugged it after ten minutes. The device got so hot while I kept browsing, it was beyond what I would call comfortable. Maybe the battery and the device can handle the heat, but with all that glued-together parts in there, the reports regarding lifting screens, I wouldn't be surprised when the heat damages the glue on the longer term.

Posted via CB10
    Constant heat will damage the lithium ion cells, although you can use a higher wattage charger it can generate heat in the battery area.

 Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2708 Rogers Wireless
    06-01-15 09:59 PM
    I'm going to say NO as the Passport will get really hot on using the PlayBook charger. Which is a shame as the PlayBook charge is great for quickly charging a second battery for my goto Q10 using the EXTERNAL battery charger with a second battery.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 12:50 PM
35 12