Has there been any indication how typing numbers might work on the Passport?

There was picture awhile ago of a non-English keyboard with the alternate characters on it like the current keyboards, but it doesn't look like that's how the keyboard is actually going to be.

I deal with dates and book volumes and pages and having to do that when the number keys are in a row instead of a numberpad-style is one of the things that has always sent me back to my BlackBerry. I like the design of the Passport, but am wondering how it's going to handle that. "0" would certainly have to moved, but the 3x3 square would still work for 1-9. Even a virtual keyboard that comes up would work, like what the "sym" key does now.

I'd love to try it out, but I get a feeling that this will be the deal-breaker for it.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:41 AM
    Afaik, all numbers and special characters are handled via the virtual 4th keyboard row or an expandable virtual keyboard.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    Moopusmaximus likes this.
    07-31-14 07:45 AM
    Has there been any indication how typing numbers might work on the Passport?

There was picture awhile ago of a non-English keyboard with the alternate characters on it like the current keyboards, but it doesn't look like that's how the keyboard is actually going to be.

I deal with dates and book volumes and pages and having to do that when the number keys are in a row instead of a numberpad-style is one of the things that has always sent me back to my BlackBerry. I like the design of the Passport, but am wondering how it's going to handle that. "0" would certainly have to moved, but the 3x3 square would still work for 1-9. Even a virtual keyboard that comes up would work, like what the "sym" key does now.

I'd love to try it out, but I get a feeling that this will be the deal-breaker for it.

Posted via CB10
    1-9 are in a number pad style spread over 3 virtual rows, 3x3. The zero is displayed to the left of 7 so the pattern is

This is at least the case based on the currently available information.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-31-14 08:41 AM
    It's called a "Contextual" Virtual Keyboard Row.

Based on the application you're in, the most needed function keys are shown immediately, with the option to view other symbols and numbers by selecting a certain key.

See here:
    Numberpad on keyboard-1406814278729_521662.png
    Numberpad on keyboard-1406814356398_521662.jpeg
    Numberpad on keyboard-1406814367468_521662.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    07-31-14 08:48 AM
    It's called a "Contextual" Virtual Keyboard Row.

Based on the application you're in, the most needed function keys are shown immediately, with the option to view other symbols and numbers by selecting a certain key.

See here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1406814278729_521662.png 
Views:	2220 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	288007

Name:	1406814356398_521662.jpeg 
Views:	2219 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	288008

Name:	1406814367468_521662.jpeg 
Views:	2223 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	288009

Posted via CB10
    Is the virtual numpad mapped to the physical keyboard? So that I can type "wer" to get "123"?
    07-31-14 12:15 PM
    Is the virtual numpad mapped to the physical keyboard? So that I can type "wer" to get "123"?
    Can't really say for certain. The final OS may have that - but otherwise it's all done on the contextual rows.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 01:11 PM
    It does have that type of feature for flicking up words, so it may, but who knows?
    07-31-14 02:19 PM
    Can't really say for certain. The final OS may have that - but otherwise it's all done on the contextual rows.

Posted via CB10
    Strange somehow since there were screenshots floating around with little index letters on each virtual key (mapping the physical keyboard to them) while your screenshots lack those.
    07-31-14 02:47 PM
    Strange somehow since there were screenshots floating around with little index letters on each virtual key (mapping the physical keyboard to them) while your screenshots lack those.
    The above screen shots were from a really, really early OS for the Passport.

The one you're referring to is from a newer build.

Like I said, the final OS at launch may retain that feature - but I'm not going to make a definitive statement on what's still there.

Attachment 288135
    Last edited by DYLANHABKIRK; 07-31-14 at 03:09 PM.
    07-31-14 02:50 PM
    Why are they still pushing IM text boxes on us on such a large screen? That's completely imbecile.
    07-31-14 04:07 PM
    Why are they still pushing IM text boxes on us on such a large screen? That's completely imbecile.
    What are you talking about?

I suggest reading the comments in addition to just looking at the pictures.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 04:09 PM
    What are you talking about?

I suggest reading the comments in addition to just looking at the pictures.

Posted via CB10
    I was referring to framed text box "Enter a message". No need for it at all. Its tiny, it doesn't take advantage of the large screen and it doesn't flex enough to see all your text especially if you have a lot of it. And its not even full length due to unnecessary placed emoji drop down call icon
    08-01-14 05:31 AM
    I was referring to framed text box "Enter a message". No need for it at all. Its tiny, it doesn't take advantage of the large screen and it doesn't flex enough to see all your text especially if you have a lot of it. And its not even full length due to unnecessary placed emoji drop down call icon
    Like stated above, the screen shot you are referring to is from an early OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 08:36 AM
    as soon as you type in the tiny box it will expand according to the length of your message.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-01-14 08:59 AM
    Since he brought up the emoji stuff etc, wish you could disable that and contact photo boxes in chat Window. That is one thing that drive me nuts. Any info on that dyl?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 10:44 AM
    Since he brought up the emoji stuff etc, wish you could disable that and contact photo boxes in chat Window. That is one thing that drive me nuts. Any info on that dyl?

Posted via CB10
    click on the three vertical dots can ease your pain.
    08-01-14 12:05 PM
    click on the three vertical dots can ease your pain.
    Care to elaborate? What will clicking the dots do?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 01:13 PM
    I guess to make a phone call you have to open the phone app first like the all-touch phones rather than just start typing the number like I do with the Q10 and every keyboard BB device of the past...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-01-14 08:18 PM
    I guess to make a phone call you have to open the phone app first like the all-touch phones rather than just start typing the number like I do with the Q10 and every keyboard BB device of the past...

Yep. I hate it.
    08-02-14 04:29 AM
    as soon as you type in the tiny box it will expand according to the length of your message.
    Yup it expands, but not enough if you have good chunk of body copy. Try it yourself.
    08-02-14 05:03 AM
    To make phone calls from the universal search:
    "Call [name/number]" As soon as you type "C" you will be in the search screen and the numbers will be available.
    You do not have to start with a number.
    Edit:
    Haha, I now see you do not even have to type numbers at all, if you just type the letters that correspond to the numbers (qwer, sdf, zxc) it will show you a number suggestion.
    Attachment 288469
    Channel: C0007CC89 | CB10 signed.
    08-02-14 05:45 AM
    To make phone calls from the universal search:
    "Call [name/number]" As soon as you type "C" you will be in the search screen and the numbers will be available.
    You do not have to start with a number.
    Edit:
    Haha, I now see you do not even have to type numbers at all, if you just type the letters that correspond to the numbers (qwer, sdf, zxc) it will show you a number suggestion.
    Attachment 288469

I'm not talking about contacts. For them, I have one-button speed dial. I'm talking about dialing a new number. I guess if you memorize which key is what number you can do the same thing we can do now. But I like being able to see them from the beginning.

08-02-14 10:16 AM
    Okay, but I think as a regular BlackBerry user you should be used to where the numbers traditionally are. Might be a bit confusing for new users for sure.
    Anyway, this was just on 10.2.1 so I hope they keep something similar for the IA in 10.3.

08-02-14 12:39 PM