except for the _fact_ that android is giving ios a serious spanking in market share, even in the US. Apple isn't dominant anywhere anymore.
    unless compared to BlackBerry or windows phone.

So other than being totally wrong, the article is spot on.

Posted via CB10
    Except in most places in the world where iOS still dominates...

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 04:17 PM
    Every iPhone has been mid-range... The hardware is limited however the OS is written so well that high specs aren't even needed. Without the OS (I'm not saying a phone with no OS, I mean one that isn't written so well), the phone would never run so well.

Posted via CB10
    You have no idea on what you say man... The iphone is a "high-end" phone simply because it COSTS in the high-end of the market, not by the hardware specs. The same way a rolls-royce is a VERY high end car, yet it isn't very fast or handle very well, but is a Premium product like the iphone is
    blee4 likes this.
    09-01-14 07:19 PM
    except for the _fact_ that android is giving ios a serious spanking in market share, even in the US. Apple isn't dominant anywhere anymore.

Posted via CB10
    It's a totaly unfair comparison because android has been in over 12,000 different devices, iphone has only been in 8. Iphone is the best selling phone, android is the best selling OS, but then you can't get iOS in any other phone, so it's kind of an unfair comparion, they have very different business models
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 09-01-14 at 07:39 PM.
    rambo47 and blee4 like this.
    09-01-14 07:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Android is only beating iOS because every other manufacturer that isn't Apple is pushing it. Samsung that's shot gun approach to everything has helped them with sales numbers but their device support sucks and it's catching upto which is showing with "weak" demand for the S5 line.

If Apple licensed iOS you can bet they'd beat the pants off of Android.

Posted via my Q10
    09-02-14 08:50 PM
    You have no idea on what you say man... The iphone is a "high-end" phone simply because it COSTS in the high-end of the market, not by the hardware specs. The same way a rolls-royce is a VERY high end car, yet it isn't very fast or handle very well, but is a Premium product like the iphone is
    Actually it does have high end specs. The 5s for example was the first to have a 64-bit processor in a mobile phone. Even Qualcomm admitted that they were caught off guard...

http://www.cnet.com/news/qualcomm-re...e-64-bit-chip/

http://www.zdnet.com/apples-64-bit-c...ut-7000024386/

Posted via my Q10
    rambo47 likes this.
    09-02-14 09:01 PM
    Without the OS (I'm not saying a phone with no OS, I mean one that isn't written so well), the phone would never run so well.

Posted via CB10
    Yes but that is infact one of Apple's strengths it's ability to own both the hardware and software and do it well. Many have tried but few have succeeded for example..

Microsoft, Nokia is its second attempt at mobile software and hardware. They bought Danger the makers of the Sidekick (another keyboard based phone) and failed miserably with the Microsoft Kin.

Nokia got destroyed by the iPhone they were ones the largest handset maker on the planet now sold off for scrap. They bought Symbian and we'll it died.

Sony Ericsson , I used to really like Ericsson dumb phones.

Palm Treo/Pre/HandSpring... now non existent.

Posted via my Q10
    09-02-14 09:09 PM
    Actually it does have high end specs. The 5s for example was the first to have a 64-bit processor in a mobile phone. Even Qualcomm admitted that they were caught off guard...

Qualcomm retracts 'gimmick' comment on Apple 64-bit chip - CNET

Apple's 64-bit chip hit Qualcomm 'in the gut' | ZDNet

Posted via my Q10
    I know mate... but you know how it works in the smartphone comunity, it's all about the number of cores, Ghz, GB of Ram, and insane screen resolutions... Everything else is completely irrelevant for them, even when it's the most significant. They rather haver 4 very weak cores, than 2 strong ones.
    09-02-14 09:42 PM
    "What does this tells about BB's marketing?"

Never purged the marketing dept. (circa PB,... ) from the top down !?
    09-03-14 06:01 PM
    Both BB10 and Windows Phone 8 run well on mid-range hardware. iOS and Android need much more horsepower (forgive the car metaphor) to operate like they're supposed to.
    09-03-14 10:05 PM
    How about the fact that The Verge did not write reviews for the last 5 BlackBerry phones? Here are their "product pages", which are auto-generated. Note that none of them have a review.

Z30: Z30 Specs & Latest News | BlackBerry | The Verge
    9720: BlackBerry 9720 Specs & Latest News | BlackBerry | The Verge
    Q5: Q5 Specs & Latest News | BlackBerry | The Verge
    Q10: Q10 Specs & Latest News | BlackBerry | The Verge
    Z10: Z10 Specs & Latest News | BlackBerry | The Verge
    Ummmm....the Z10 was reviewed by Josh Topolsky and the Q10 by Chris Ziegler. I read both at that time.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 01:01 AM
    "What does this tells about BB's marketing?"

Never purged the marketing dept. (circa PB,... ) from the top down !?
    As BlackBerry refocuses on Enterprise you can expect their marketing to drop off significantly. They will target-market to companies who can run a BES, but consumers will be an afterthought.
    09-04-14 09:23 AM
    John Gruber gets a lot of flack for being such an Apple fanboy, but he recently did an episode of The Talk Show with Joanna Stern. They spent a lot of time talking about Windows Phone as her review of the HTC M8 with Windows just went to press. There was also some talk about typing speeds and physical keyboards. I'm guessing Stern is a former BB user, and it sounds like she misses a good physical keyboard. She mentioned the Passport, and how she should get one and compare typing speeds with her iPhone. There was nothing really ironic in her voice about getting a Passport. I hope that more public people are interested in the Passport.
    09-05-14 03:32 PM
    I am biased of course, but the single biggest thing people can do to help BlackBerry is to strongly consider purchasing the Passport or the Classic, or if you can't, or even it's not for you, at least help to mention it to others for whom it might be a fitting device. According to the media, BlackBerry is dead, so that tends to keep the new devices out of people's minds; reminding them that BlackBerry (the company) is still around and BlackBerry devices (innovative ones at that) are still coming, can go a long way. It is in everyone's best interest to have a diverse smartphone ecosystem with real choices for consumers (and enterprises).
    alexmartins likes this.
    09-05-14 03:48 PM
    When the time is right the Passport will be announced...those of us who waited for it will buy it....if we love it we will post it...if there is anything revolutionary about it we will post it.....the word will spread the momentum will gather --> thats the kind of advert that will have to work on this side...deal with it
    The release of the PassPort and Classic needs to be flawless... it will need to be on par if not BETTER than the iPhone 6 release because the media will slaughter Blackberry if there are any showstopper bugs for example sluggish response from the phone when scrolling with the keyboard on the PassPort. Absolutely NOTHING can go wrong with the device, the worst thing critics can say needs to be the form factor of the PassPort may not be for everyone. I'll even take the HTC One release as something to shoot for because it's pretty much the best designed Android phone on the market both the HTC One and the One (M8), but all HTC had to do was supply good design and materials use Android pretty much did the rest. Blackberry will have to pull off great hardware (which they do already) and amazing software (which is their weak spot)

It can't be another PlayBook or Z10 release.
    09-05-14 10:09 PM
    The release of the PassPort and Classic needs to be flawless... it will need to be on par if not BETTER than the iPhone 6 release because the media will slaughter Blackberry if there are any showstopper bugs for example sluggish response from the phone when scrolling with the keyboard on the PassPort. Absolutely NOTHING can go wrong with the device, the worst thing critics can say needs to be the form factor of the PassPort may not be for everyone. I'll even take the HTC One release as something to shoot for because it's pretty much the best designed Android phone on the market both the HTC One and the One (M8), but all HTC had to do was supply good design and materials use Android pretty much did the rest. Blackberry will have to pull off great hardware (which they do already) and amazing software (which is their weak spot)

It can't be another PlayBook or Z10 release.
    Actually... it doesn't matter about the release since the most of the media will turn their backs on the Passport. We live in a world where most people don't know about BlackBerry 10 or they just don't care.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 10:11 PM
    I wouldn't say that I've seen BlackBerry mentioned on quite a few of the gadget sites. I'm not sure I agree with their "back to enterprise" only business strategy. Besides the gadget sites need something fresh to talk about they are running out of ways to describe the same android over and over again.

Posted via my Q10
    09-05-14 10:41 PM
    Ummmm....the Z10 was reviewed by Josh Topolsky and the Q10 by Chris Ziegler. I read both at that time.
    You're right, sorry. I don't know why the reviews aren't linked from the product pages. So, correction: The Verge did not write reviews for the last 3 BlackBerry phones.

My point was mainly that I don't expect to see a Passport review on The Verge. I hope I'm wrong.
    09-06-14 05:05 PM
92 ... 234