Hi All.. I just got my BlackBerry passport yesterday and I absolutely love it.
    However 1 thing I still haven't figured out is how to switch from normal to silent mode when the screen is locked - Any suggestions please?

P.S. I am a first time blackberry user. Help!!

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 03:47 AM
    I'm afraid you will have to unlock first!

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 04:46 AM
    Try setting flip to mute in advanced interactions settings. May or may not be useful, depending on your situation.
    11-30-14 07:38 AM
    Also, when you tap the screen in case someone calls, it will instantly mute the ringer. The phone will keep on ringing but silently. So you can e.g. leave the meeting room without disturbing someone, and take the call elsewhere.
    11-30-14 08:00 AM
    However 1 thing I still haven't figured out is how to switch from normal to silent mode when the screen is locked - Any suggestions please?

Posted via CB10
    You have to activate and get back to the main screen 1st. Swipe down from top to reveal your custom quick access keys and toggle the notification bar to whatever you set it!

Or while the device is on just press down volume until sounds are silent!
    11-30-14 08:13 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions,appreciated. Maybe a software release from blackberry should sort this basic function.. provided this ever makes their priority list.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 05:53 AM
    Just because it interests me: I remember the iphone has a physical mute switch (at least the 5 and previous models had one, afaik), but can you switch to a silent profile or so on an Android phone, when it is locked?
    12-05-14 06:53 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions,appreciated. Maybe a software release from blackberry should sort this basic function.. provided this ever makes their priority list.
    That's unlikely with the flip-to-mute function. That's not quite as useful, though, since you can't see message information being displayed on the screen that way.

They also have the option to silence alerts during scheduled meetings. Also, not as useful since meetings don't always start and end by the clock.
    12-05-14 06:57 AM
    They also have the option to silence alerts during scheduled meetings. Also, not as useful since meetings don't always start and end by the clock.
    I find this option very usefull. Even if meetings are not on time, it makes the minimum. And if my phone ring, this is because the meeting should be finish.
    iToya likes this.
    12-05-14 07:52 AM
    I find this option very usefull. Even if meetings are not on time, it makes the minimum. And if my phone ring, this is because the meeting should be finish.
    I agree with that, but I'd still prefer to have more convenient manual control. I've been pulled into meetings at the last minute, meaning they're not on my schedule. Plus I don't want to have to enter every movie I go to into my calendar. Not that opening the phone is hard to do. I'm just saying that BBRY probably won't develop further along those lines even if legitimacy can be put behind the request.
    12-05-14 07:57 AM
    Another option for movies or surprise meetings is the app profile changer which allows you to change to a silent profile for a certain amount of time. Or when entering a particular place (coordinates). Or the range of a certain wifi Hotspot. Or when connecting to a certain Bluetooth device. Or when entering a certain time of day. Or when an appointment contains a certain text string. Or some more nice features. I use it several times each day.
    There are so many options to silence your phone. I personally can live with not being able to do so when it's locked. I wish the developers spend their cycles on more important (imho) things.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 09:33 AM
    If I am correct, the official 10.3.1 will have the option to set keyboard shortcuts. I am hoping to be able to set the M key to mute the phone so it will function similarly to how the mute switch is on the iphone
    12-05-14 04:18 PM
    If I am correct, the official 10.3.1 will have the option to set keyboard shortcuts. I am hoping to be able to set the M key to mute the phone so it will function similarly to how the mute switch is on the iphone
    Not sure what you mean by that, but long-pressing "Q" will put the Passport in Silent (I'm on 10.3.1.1154)
    12-05-14 04:23 PM
    Not sure what you mean by that, but long-pressing "Q" will put the Passport in Silent (I'm on 10.3.1.1154)
    Oh? when I long press Q on my passport it brings up the speed dial/phone, is there some place that you can set the keys?

I'm on OS 10.3.0.908 btw
    12-05-14 04:24 PM
    Oh? when I long press Q on my passport it brings up the speed dial/phone, is there some place that you can set the keys?

I'm on OS 10.3.0.908 btw
    Yup, its in the settings. Forgot what the header is, but it's definitely in there on 10.3
    12-05-14 04:36 PM
    Yup, its in the settings. Forgot what the header is, but it's definitely in there on 10.3
    must find!!!
    12-05-14 04:39 PM
    Settings- Shortcuts and Speed Dial
    12-05-14 04:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    That would defeat the purpose. BB10's silent toggle is inherently safer because it takes longer to get to (than the iPhone physical toggle). It's a business phone, and we can't afford to have it go off at a rude time. My old iPhone would often find its ringer on when I thought it was off. Safety first.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 04:48 PM
    Settings- Shortcuts and Speed Dial
    No such options in 10.3.0

Passport
    12-05-14 04:52 PM
    No such options in 10.3.0

Passport
    I don't think the two people who responded to my question read that I'm on OS 10.3.0.908...
    12-05-14 04:53 PM
    I did, that's why I mentioned I was on 10.3.1 My post was meant to mean that on this OS there is no need to set one yourself as it's automatically configured on 10.3.1 Also, it puts it on Silent, not Vibrate. My second post was in response to SlcCorrado
    12-05-14 05:07 PM
    I did, that's why I mentioned I was on 10.3.1 My post was meant to mean that on this OS there is no need to set one yourself as it's automatically configured on 10.3.1 Also, it puts it on Silent, not Vibrate. My second post was in response to SlcCorrado
    Thanks. Yeah I don't regularly use a Q10 or PassPort so I want 100% on which OS they introduced that on. Clearly it's 10.3.1, so OP, get on it
    jefpoon likes this.
    12-05-14 09:56 PM