I replaced my Z10 with a Passport on AT&T about 2 weeks ago. Out of curiosity I called to ask how the insurance process works. Asurion, the insurance provider for AT&T informed me that they do not insure the Passport. Of course AT&T will not inform you of this, and will continue to charge you the monthly line of service insurance charges. They gave me a one month insurance refund and a $25 credit. Anyone know of any reliable 3rd party insurance in the US?

Passport
    12-22-14 08:49 AM
    They don't sell you the device, so why would they insure it?

For what it's worth,.. I don't believe in device insurance (especially if you have a spare Z10 you could fall back on if you really needed to).

In any case, have you tried to see if squaretrade will cover it?

http://m.squaretrade.com/m/home

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 08:55 AM
    I agree, go with squaretrade.com. I discontinued my AT&T insurance as soon as my Passport was received and paid $100 for 2 years of coverage with squatetrade. Squaretrade is better! They only have a $75 deductible compared to Asurion's $150 plus. The only thing squaretrade does not cover is loss/theft.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    12-22-14 09:04 AM
    +1 to Squaretrade. You can easily find a discount code or go to Amazon and buy it already discounted there.
    12-22-14 11:29 AM
    I agree, go with squaretrade.com. I discontinued my AT&T insurance as soon as my Passport was received and paid $100 for 2 years of coverage with squatetrade. Squaretrade is better! They only have a $75 deductible compared to Asurion's $150 plus. The only thing squaretrade does not cover is loss/theft.
    After leaving unlimited Verizon for AT&T, I elected for no insurance before I even went in for the SIM and port. AT&T claimed and tried to sell the insurance stating that if they don't carry the device that I'm using, but are aware of the device (through using the Passport's IMEI number) that the insurance would replace whatever they thought would be the most equivalent based on device and cost.

I've claimed at least 3 different devices on Verizon through Asurion all on loss/theft and had an old policy with a $50 deductible. At this point, I'm much more careful with my phones and don't see the need for insurance, especially if it doesn't cover loss or theft. The device should be covered under warranty for at least a year, correct? That was my understanding so if no loss or theft, I don't see insurance as necessary.

The most memorable would be when an intoxicated friend passed out in NYC in the middle of the street so I dropped all of my stuff and pulled him to the side around 3AM. In about the 30 seconds this took my Droid Bionic was stolen. Used his phone, put the $50 on his CC, and received a new (refurbished likely) phone the next day. Crazy night!

Since switching to BB10, I've had no issues. My Verizon devices are being used by family that have all switched from their iPhones with some convincing and I now have a cheaper bill without insurance on AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 10:38 PM