Many of us are frustrated at the lack of holsters (or really any accessories) for the Passport.

I have had the Passport for a while now, but have been reluctant to fully switch from a Z30 due to the lack of a holster. I've been using spring clip (or at least the slide down) type of holsters since the Storm, and just hate putting a device in my pockets.

Went to Best Buy (in the US) and looked around to see if they had anything that could sort of work. I was hoping there would be a device that was relatively close in one of the dimensions. Curiously enough the Moto G is almost exactly as tall, but they didn't have any holster for that (probably because it basically looks like a good kid phone). Since I didn't find anything, I turned to plan B (borrowed from another CB member), which was to modify something (i.e. Use power tools). It came down to either a spring clip holster for a Galaxy S3 and one for an iPhone 5S. The 5S seemed to be closer in length, but I ended up going with the GS3 case to give myself some more material to work with.

Platinum Series Case with Holster for Samsung Galaxy S III Cell Phones Black SGC22SB - Best Buy

Took it down to my workshop and got to work with a Dremmel rotary tool and grinder down the sides, as well as the bottom lips so as to fit the Passport in its hard shell. It was an iterative process, grinding down a bit, testing, grinding some more, testing, etc.

I then cut off the magnetic flap from an old bold holster, and figured out that the Passport's sleeper magnet sensor is over the keys (not the screen). Finally I used a glue gun to fix the sleeper magnet onto the rear bottom of the holster.

To my amazement, it actually works!! The Passport fits nice and tight, but lifts out easily, and the sleeper magnet activates sleeper mode as soon as you start to put the bottom of the Passport into the holster (thus preventing any key or screen actions as you complete the insertion).

Of course it looks pretty ridiculous but, whatever... I'm using a BlackBerry so,.. can't go lower than that in the court of public opinion.

I have to say that it's actually more comfortable to holster than the Z30, probably due to its shorter length. I really hope some one in China listens to our prayers and makes something less, umm... DIY.

Here are some pics:

No spring clip holster for my Passport? Made one from a GS3 holster.-img_20141024_201633.jpg

No spring clip holster for my Passport? Made one from a GS3 holster.-img_20141024_202103.jpg

No spring clip holster for my Passport? Made one from a GS3 holster.-img_20141024_202202.jpg

No spring clip holster for my Passport? Made one from a GS3 holster.-img_20141024_202214.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 08:53 PM
    hahaha awesome man, where can i order one? ... now, i don't know why you think it looks ridiculous, from your pictures looks pretty nice to be honest... try to take a picture of it with the phone on and without wearing it in your belt... thanks!
    10-24-14 10:35 PM
    Wow good work! Like you, I've always been a fan of the spring holster started with my storm days (truth be told one of my favorite BlackBerry of all time) I may try to give this a whirl. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 10:45 PM
    hahaha awesome man, where can i order one? ... now, i don't know why you think it looks ridiculous, from your pictures looks pretty nice to be honest... try to take a picture of it with the phone on and without wearing it in your belt... thanks!
    Only looks a little silly, but it works... lol

No spring clip holster for my Passport? Made one from a GS3 holster.-img_20141025_092547.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 08:29 AM
    Dude... amazing, nice work!

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 10:35 AM
    Nice... personally I think many phones are simply too big to be holstering with the passport being one oft them
    10-25-14 11:16 AM
    Nice... personally I think many phones are simply too big to be holstering with the passport being one oft them
    I've been saying that since anything became bigger than my Moto RAZR,.. yet here I am... lol

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 11:23 AM
    ok, how much would you ask to make one for me?

Only looks a little silly, but it works... lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141025_092547.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	309240

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 09:36 PM