Hi All,

The (somewhat) local AT&T store finally got a PP demo in and I went over and tested it out for about an hour. I can not wait to get this phone! However, I do have a few questions in the meantime (workers couldn't answer any of my questions):

1) The demo phone had a "demo mode". Does this happen to come on the phone I will end up buying? If so, how would I enable and then eventually disable it?

2) I noticed whenever I opened anything (browser, docs to go, SMS, phone call, Amazon apps etc.), I couldn't seem to get out of it and just "swiped up" which landed me on the home screen. That is fine, but then on the home screen, every item I had just opened stayed as a tile on the home screen, 'junking' it up. How do I exit whatever I opened so that it does not stay as an active tile on my home screen?

3) When I opened up the BB Browser, every internet page I tried out then stayed as an active tile on the screen. I opened up about 15 browsers and couldn't figure out how to get out of them (exit them), therefore it would stay as an active tile in the browser icon. The only way I found to exit was to go back to the main BB Browser tile, where I could see all 15 internet pages I had open, press and hold my finger on one of the tiles and then there was an option on the lower right where I could "delete history" and it closed that internet page. Is there a way to "X" out (close) an internet page while in the page?

4) On my current PKB phone I have a soft back button that I use all the time. Say I am inside an email, then open the attachment and want to get back to the email, I press the soft back button. Or say I am in an internet browser, decide to make a phone call, dial it and want to get back to the internet page I was reading, I press the soft back button. Etc. etc.... Is there something similar on PP? I seemed to get confused and lost trying to go back and forth between what I had open on the PP. I just ended up "swiping up" to get back to the home screen and re-hunted down what I was looking for (which, incidentally, caused whatever I was just in to become an active tile on the home screen, "junking'' it up - see #2 above)

TIA!
    05-13-15 05:48 PM
    It's an easy device to use swipe up to wake up swipe right to get the hub and you can press certain keys to open almost anything. If your unsure start the tutorial again it's the easiest OS to use. Swipe left/right up and down to get into your settings. Press and hold different letters on the keyboard and see what you open, you will get used to it to close the app hit the x in the right corner of the opened app

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by K EV; 05-13-15 at 06:28 PM.
    05-13-15 06:07 PM
    I learnt all about my passport before ordering it http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones.../overview.html and watch the demos about the device. They were simple and straightforward. Goodluck

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 06:23 PM
    BlackBerry OS10 and Passport are unique combination of OS and hardware, working together to make you productive and more efficient (sounds like a PR brief, but this is what I believe). While not perfect for everything and everyone, i found this combination most suitable for me and daily task I need to do. However, like everything in life, it does need some getting use to. To your questions:

1.) every new BB will come with the "demo mode", which can be invoked from the Settings menu...It is user function, so you can easily disable or enable it

2.) SwipeUp motion will not close the app, but will minimise it to the home screen. This is not dissimilar to Android or iOS, but they all show "running apps" differently. BBOS10 uses tiles, and they are active, and user can define if the process is still OK to run when app is minimised or not (i.e Weather app, when minimised, becomes an active tile, showing current Weather info - similar to "widget" on Android... To close, you have to use "x" button bottom right of the tile - Android reference, running task, top right corner or iOS , double tap home screen, swipe up to close. (Funnily enough BBOS in the first iteration have the same function like iOS, but was cancelled, for iOS to introduce it in the later versions...)

3.) Browser tabs (sessions) can be closed by opening menu (left bottom) and pressing "x" on the right of the open tab.. Easy, and not too dissimilar to other mobile platforms

4.) soft back button (on some versions of Android hardware , e.g. Motorola/Google...) do not exist on BBOS. Only way to switch between apps is to swipe up and select active tile of the app you need or, tap on the icon of the app OR, on the device with hard keyboards, use shortcuts - e.g. longpress "T" to create new task in "Remember"app ot "E" to create new email... Press T for Twitter and F for Facebook, C for CrackBerry app...and so on...and on...and on

BBOS10 have few "current" versions and some functionality will change with the version your phone is running on. Version will depend on your carrier, type of the phone (locked/unlocked) or your willingness to "sideload" version of the os you want. CB dot com is the great place to explore those options.

As unique as they are, BBOS10 and Passport require some "getting used to", but once you get yourself out of "android" or "iOS" ways, you find yourself in the swiping and hard key heaven. Productive and more efficient!

Good luck
    Elango87 and BluePumpkinBerry like this.
    05-13-15 06:41 PM
    1. To close out demo mode : swipe down from the top, select settings/display/at bottom of screen select "advanced" then click off retail display mode

2. For any open apps on your desktop just tap the " x " on the lower right side of app pane--this closes the app.

3. For the browser you can open new tabs on lower left of browser screen and also close each active page by touching the " x " on the right hand side of the web page name

4. You just swipe up to minimize any app then make your call etc and to get back to your website just tap the minimized browser app

Posted via CB10
    BluePumpkinBerry likes this.
    05-13-15 06:44 PM
    I also meant to add that the phone will NOT be in demo mode when you get it.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 06:45 PM
    Thanks for the tips and replies.

If I read this correctly, to exit (close) something that is open (an app), I must first minimize it and then close it? There is no way to just close it without first minimizing it to the home screen?

Same thing with internet pages - I can't just close a page? I must minimize it first then close it out by hitting "X"?

As for not having a soft back button, I hope I get used to that! During my time playing around with the demo phone, I kept just wanting to hit "back button" to get out of what I was in or go back to where I was. Habit, I guess..

Thanks all.
    05-14-15 09:54 AM
    OP-- that is correct --you must minimize first then close the app with the "x". This is one gripe I have with BB10. I have always preferred the old WebOs way where you can just swipe the app up and away with one motion. IMHO that is the most efficient method to close out an app if you have a gesture-based OS. But BlackBerry chose not to go this route for various reasons. Also with the browser to close down an open tab you must also tap the "x". I must note tho, that these "extra" steps do NOT seem to problematic after using the OS for awhile. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 10:15 AM
    Hi All,

The (somewhat) local AT&T store finally got a PP demo in and I went over and tested it out for about an hour. I can not wait to get this phone! However, I do have a few questions in the meantime (workers couldn't answer any of my questions):

1) The demo phone had a "demo mode". Does this happen to come on the phone I will end up buying? If so, how would I enable and then eventually disable it?

2) I noticed whenever I opened anything (browser, docs to go, SMS, phone call, Amazon apps etc.), I couldn't seem to get out of it and just "swiped up" which landed me on the home screen. That is fine, but then on the home screen, every item I had just opened stayed as a tile on the home screen, 'junking' it up. How do I exit whatever I opened so that it does not stay as an active tile on my home screen?

3) When I opened up the BB Browser, every internet page I tried out then stayed as an active tile on the screen. I opened up about 15 browsers and couldn't figure out how to get out of them (exit them), therefore it would stay as an active tile in the browser icon. The only way I found to exit was to go back to the main BB Browser tile, where I could see all 15 internet pages I had open, press and hold my finger on one of the tiles and then there was an option on the lower right where I could "delete history" and it closed that internet page. Is there a way to "X" out (close) an internet page while in the page?

4) On my current PKB phone I have a soft back button that I use all the time. Say I am inside an email, then open the attachment and want to get back to the email, I press the soft back button. Or say I am in an internet browser, decide to make a phone call, dial it and want to get back to the internet page I was reading, I press the soft back button. Etc. etc.... Is there something similar on PP? I seemed to get confused and lost trying to go back and forth between what I had open on the PP. I just ended up "swiping up" to get back to the home screen and re-hunted down what I was looking for (which, incidentally, caused whatever I was just in to become an active tile on the home screen, "junking'' it up - see #2 above)

TIA!
    We'll make this brief because most of your questions have one answer.

1) No demo mode on sold phones.

2-4) You need to use the X on the bottom right corner of each tile.

Coming to Blackberry you need to change mindset. BB is about doing things, not just viewing things. Each of those tiles gives you an option to go back to something till you're done with it and manually choose to close it. It may be related web pages, different versions of a document, switching between a document and a spreadsheet. You get the idea. Having said that, some apps will close with the upward swipe, especially some of the Android stuff. Guess I wasn't quite so brief, but I hope that helps.
    05-14-15 11:06 AM