Courtesy n4bb

BlackBerry Passport: Another Look (Video) - BlackBerry Passport: Another Look (Video) | N4BB

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    edh2860, aha and BaffTech like this.
    09-01-14 10:50 PM
    Nice one.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 12:06 AM
    Nice, can't wait to try!

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3175
    09-02-14 02:51 AM
    It's a BOSS phone

09-02-14 03:05 AM
    One thing that is getting me disapointed, that I hoped the new specs would minimize what I call the "android lag". It's that lag that happens when you for example scroll down a page or picture or menu, where the page doesn't really follow your fingers, but has a small delay in the movement.

iOS and Windows phone are the only ones that doesn't have this kind of lag, things seem to slide right under your finger with little to no lag. It makes the phone feel more responsive, and that you're realy moving things with your finger

Here's an example on this video that's in slow motion:
    09-02-14 09:26 AM
    Yes.I am with you on this.

But the navigation and transitions of minimising the app have become a bit faster.

09-02-14 09:42 AM
    One thing that is getting me disapointed, that I hoped the new specs would minimize what I call the "android lag". It's that lag that happens when you for example scroll down a page or picture or menu, where the page doesn't really follow your fingers, but has a small delay in the movement.

iOS and Windows phone are the only ones that doesn't have this kind of lag, things seem to slide right under your finger with little to no lag. It makes the phone feel more responsive, and that you're realy moving things with your finger

Here's an example on this video that's in slow motion:
    That's not "Android Lag", it's called touch latency. It's a common problem, and it's hardware based. It's more of a quality of the digitizer. Apple has always had the best, considering they bought one of the first touch-interface companies named Fingerworks. To be honest though, I don't mind touch latency as long as the actual lag (dropped frames, freezes, skips) is minimal. Luckily, a Snapdragon 800 with BB10 seems like an unequally fluid experience.
    09-02-14 10:16 AM
    That's not "Android Lag", it's called touch latency. It's a common problem, and it's hardware based. It's more of a quality of the digitizer. Apple has always had the best, considering they bought one of the first touch-interface companies named Fingerworks. To be honest though, I don't mind touch latency as long as the actual lag (dropped frames, freezes, skips) is minimal. Luckily, a Snapdragon 800 with BB10 seems like an unequally fluid experience.
    I call it "android lag" because I only see android phone and BB10 doing them... Even the cheap Windows Phones have little to no lag...

The androids with better specs and OS updates have reduced this latency but it's still there, so I'm not so sure it's the digitalizer, otherwise would be easy for android or BB10 to "catch up", just get that "no latency" digitalizer, wich they didn't. And unfortunatly when I pick an Iphone or a WP8, they feel more responsive, they feel instant

And I totaly disagree about the combo Snapdragon 800+BB10, from the videos i've seen from the passport, that latency is marginaly better than my Q10, and you can clearly see it in OP video, latency is there.
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 09-02-14 at 10:58 AM.
    09-02-14 10:48 AM
    Are you using 10.3 because it very fluid and responsive? The only lag i've seen on the passport is from using the touch features of the keyboard.

Iphone and wp just use animations everywhere that makes it seem smooth but really they just slow you down.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 01:11 PM
    I have no lag on my display!!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-02-14 01:32 PM
    Are you using 10.3 because it very fluid and responsive? The only lag i've seen on the passport is from using the touch features of the keyboard.

Iphone and wp just use animations everywhere that makes it seem smooth but really they just slow you down.

Posted via CB10
    I'm in 10.2.1, didn't try 10.3 yet
    what kind of animations are you talking about? I'm talking about scrooling, and the lag it takes between you moving your finger and the screen moving

Actualy I think is the oposite... I think android has some kind of acelerations in it's movements and that0s what slows it down.
    09-02-14 02:11 PM
    I have no lag on my display!!

You have, everybody has, every OS has, it's impossible to have no lag, but ones have more than the others, and BB10 and Android have more than iOS and WP8. watch the video I posted, and bare in mind, that video is in SLOW MOTION so that you can see the lag easier

If you want to clearly see the lag, open a website, put your finger over 1 word, then slide/scroll your finger up and down quickly... If you're able to see the word that was under your finger, you have lag, wich you will have 100% guaranteed, if there was no lag, you would never be able to see the word.
    09-02-14 02:12 PM
    I don't see a lag... sorry... I use native browser... as long as my finger does not reach the border (limits of the screen), I don't lose contact with the screen, the screen moves with my finger... up and down, when scrollable to the side, too... I tried it on Amazon web page, on my phone browser... Once I put my finger on the screen middle, up and dows responds immediately without any lag. On the listed products, scrollable horizontally, same thing.

09-02-14 02:38 PM
    I even used the 2-finger-endless-scroll method!
    No lag.

09-02-14 02:43 PM
    Now I just realised sth... Can my Q10 be "faster" coz of the little screen?? I mean faster than the Z10??
    When scrolling with [space] (scroll down) and [shift]+[space] to scroll up, it is as fast, too, with no lag...
    I watched the video... it is in slow motion, but how much micro-sconds are perceptable?? I noticed a "subjective delay", only the first time the page is opened. But once I started to scroll, no delay!
    I think if any lag/delay is there, it might be so insignificant for the human eye/brain to be relevant.

09-02-14 02:55 PM
    Even in the video the iPhone has lag too. The test you suggest will happen on the iPhone as well as you can see it doesn't keep up with his finger either but it's just worse on the android. I would say from testing that my 10.3 is more comparable to the iPhone from that video.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:07 PM
    Now I just realised sth... Can my Q10 be "faster" coz of the little screen?? I mean faster than the Z10??
    When scrolling with [space] (scroll down) and [shift]+[space] to scroll up, it is as fast, too, with no lag...
    I watched the video... it is in slow motion, but how much micro-sconds are perceptable?? I noticed a "subjective delay", only the first time the page is opened. But once I started to scroll, no delay!
    I think if any lag/delay is there, it might be so insignificant for the human eye/brain to be relevant.

No, I have the Q10 aswell, and the Q10 lags, and lags MUCH MORE than a iphone or WP8, I think you just didn't experience one of those yet.

Do what I told you, open a page in the browser, put your finger over one word and slide up and down fast... You'll be able to see the word while you slide up and down.

Every time I pick a WP8 or a Iphone, I feel the responsiveness righ away
    09-02-14 03:30 PM
    Even in the video the iPhone has lag too. The test you suggest will happen on the iPhone as well as you can see it doesn't keep up with his finger either but it's just worse on the android. I would say from testing that my 10.3 is more comparable to the iPhone from that video.

Posted via CB10
    The video was recorded at 120fps, youtube plays at 30fps, so the video is slowed down 4 times.
    09-02-14 03:33 PM
    Why does that matter? If his finger has left the content behind you can see that at any fps. His finger was outrunning the content he placed it over so I don't see how it's a valid test to try if it does the same on an iPhone when you move your finger fast.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:36 PM
    Why does that matter? If his finger has left the content behind you can see that at any fps. His finger was outrunning the content he placed it over so I don't see how it's a valid test to try if it does the same on an iPhone when you move your finger fast.

Posted via CB10
    Is it that hard that the one on the right has much more lag than the one on the left? It feels better if that latency is reduced.
    09-02-14 04:08 PM
    Is it that hard that the one on the right has much more lag than the one on the left? It feels better if that latency is reduced.
    I see that but you are were saying to do a test on bb10 to show it lagging when the same result is shown on the iphone where you move your finger fast and outrun the content you placed it over.

Yes it's smoother then the android but like I said 10.3 seems very smooth and fluid to me so they are pretty much there.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 04:17 PM
    I see that but you are were saying to do a test on bb10 to show it lagging when the same result is shown on the iphone where you move your finger fast and outrun the content.

Yes it's smoother then the android but like I said 10.3 seems very smooth and fluid to me.

Posted via CB10
    That user was saying that he had "NO LAG", and I was just telling him a way to actualy evidence the lag, that it exists.

Like I said in a recent post here, it's impossible to do a phone with simply "No lag", but as we can see, it is possible to have much less lag, and make the phone feel more responsive.

I didn't try 10.3 yet, If that reduces the lag, I would be happy, I might try it today.
    09-02-14 04:20 PM
    Well 10.3 seems to run a lot better even on our older hardware so I'm pretty sure the passport with better specs will run it great.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is keyboard touch lag seen in some older videos but that seems to have improved from earlier builds.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 04:49 PM
    That user was saying that he had "NO LAG", and I was just telling him a way to actualy evidence the lag, that it exists.

Like I said in a recent post here, it's impossible to do a phone with simply "No lag", but as we can see, it is possible to have much less lag, and make the phone feel more responsive.

I didn't try 10.3 yet, If that reduces the lag, I would be happy, I might try it today.
    If it's not humanely noticeable under no conditions, than to say it has no lag is quite appropriate.. we make assertions like that every day

Check Out TechCraze
    09-02-14 05:01 PM
    I'm on 10.3 and have some lag here and there.

Now make that thing less wide and get rid of the kb
    09-02-14 05:26 PM
33 12