So, I purchased a new Passport SE from Shopblackberry.com, and I unboxed it after picking it up from FedEx. Now, when I turned the phone on, and started looking at everything, I noticed that the Q A & Z buttons on the keyboard are significantly brighter than all the others. The others seem to be the same brightness. Also, while setting the phone all up, the side of the phone, mostly by the volume up/down buttons got pretty heated. Is this thing a dud, and I should return it, or are they all like this? Please let me know, and I appreciate everyone's input.
    Last edited by drags_bberry; 05-27-16 at 02:57 PM.
    05-27-16 02:30 PM
    The button issue doesn't seem normal, can you show us a picture of that? The heating might be normal, particularly the first few days as the phone is updating like crazy, but it does subsume.
    05-27-16 02:33 PM
    I also bought a SE a couple of days ago.

I have also noticed, that the light intensity of the keyboard is maximum at the edges (left and right) and SLIGHTLY fades out as it gets to the centre. I mean, that the keys in the middle, are not that bright as the ones at the sides.

Has anyone else noticed something like this?
    05-27-16 03:05 PM
    It's hard to see in the picture, but you can slightly tell that QAZ are bolder white than the others.
    New Passport SE Help-img_20160527_160248.jpg
    05-27-16 03:07 PM
    So, I purchased a new Passport SE from Shopblackberry.com, and I unboxed it after picking it up from FedEx. Now, when I turned the phone on, and started looking at everything, I noticed that the Q A & Z buttons on the keyboard are significantly brighter than all the others. The others seem to be the same brightness. Also, while setting the phone all up, the side of the phone, mostly by the volume up/down buttons got pretty heated. Is this thing a dud, and I should return it, or are they all like this? Please let me know, and I appreciate everyone's input.
    My input is keep the device. It does get warm at the top right of the device from time to time, especially when setting it up and watching videos, playing games etc. This is normal. If it gets "burning the hand warm" then no, that is not normal. As for the brightly lit keys, that also is nothing to worry about. Give it some time and you will forget all about these slights. When you get a new device, scrutiny is keenest until the novelty dies down. Just my opinion!
    05-27-16 03:13 PM
    The CPU is in the upper right corner. My phone gets VERY hot right there when I'm recording a long video... found that out when recording a birthday last week. Initial phone setup is probably very CPU heavy so I wouldn't sweat over that unless it happens all the time.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    05-27-16 04:47 PM
    @brookie229, I agree that the initial ocd will subside in due time, but it kind of threw me off, and added some credence to the all bad mouthing of blackberry.

As far as the cpu getting hot in the corner, that would make sense. I'll hold on to this this thing and see how she does.

I did do a security wipe, just to be sure after the install of all the updates. It runs like a champ. We'll see how everything else holds up. Thanks for all the replys.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 06:38 AM
    OK, so day 2. The phone is just warm all day, in the upper right hand corner, and the battery, just like yesterday, just goes 50% after half a day, and not doing anything with it.

I have a nexus 6, used that before this thing, and it never got that hot, or the battery draining that quickly. How is everyone else's battery?
    05-28-16 04:18 PM
    Check from device monitor what's using the cpu...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-28-16 04:22 PM
    I looked at that earlier. It was System @ 36%, I believe. Android player was only 2.6%
    05-28-16 04:44 PM
    I looked at that earlier. It was System @ 36%, I believe. Android player was only 2.6%
    That is excessive if just basically idling. Perhaps you do have a faulty device. Give it another day and if still hot, send it back. I get more than 24 hours on a charge but I consider myself to be a light to moderate user.
    05-28-16 04:51 PM
    That is excessive if just basically idling. Perhaps you do have a faulty device. Give it another day and if still hot, send it back. I get more than 24 hours on a charge but I consider myself to be a light to moderate user.
    I just turned it on again. After being off and cold, that corner is pretty darn hot after 3 min. I am assuming, that either the cpu is bad, or it is something with the software making it work excessively. I am thinking it's a dud. I use the nexus for an hour of browsing and coffee drinking in the morning every day, and it never gets hot, or lose a significant amount of battery.

It's kinda sad.
    05-28-16 05:52 PM
    I just turned it on again. After being off and cold, that corner is pretty darn hot after 3 min. I am assuming, that either the cpu is bad, or it is something with the software making it work excessively. I am thinking it's a dud. I use the nexus for an hour of browsing and coffee drinking in the morning every day, and it never gets hot, or lose a significant amount of battery.

It's kinda sad.
    Yeah, if you have very few apps and you a running a very lean setup, as you seem to be, something is definitely not right. How about your email account(s) setup? Are they constantly syncing? Or do you even have any set up yet? If you literally have nothing but the OS on there at this point then back it goes IMO. The only other thing you could try, is to give it a different OS using an autoloader.
    05-28-16 05:58 PM
    Yeah, I have all my email; 2 (personal&work) accounts, a few apps from blacberry world, and a banking app from amazon. The exact same setup as my previous daily driver, a Q10.
    05-28-16 06:19 PM
    The volume buttons get heat that normal when you are using the phone or charging. Do not worry . But Q, A... keys with brighter light that weird. Could you take some photos?
    05-28-16 06:25 PM
    The volume buttons get heat that normal when you are using the phone or charging. Do not worry . But Q, A... keys with brighter light that weird. Could you take some photos?
    I took one yesterday, it's at the beginning of the post. It's hard to picture it. But in the picture above, you can definitely see that the keys are bolder than the others.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 06:55 PM
    My keyboard lighting seems to have stopped working, is there a configuration setting that controls this?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 12:37 AM
    It sounds like something is constantly running in the background. I used to have music app (tunein) stuck tuning in the background that I don't even know and that really heats up my phone and drain the battery like crazy. I usually watch out for those android apps as they are running with an emulator, it's always a bit tricky.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 01:46 AM
    My keyboard lighting seems to have stopped working, is there a configuration setting that controls this?

Posted via CB10
    Keyboard lighting will activate under low lighting conditions. Run bbve app. It's a diagnostic app that's preloaded. Most likely your light sensor isn't working. Usually a restart fixes this. Happened to me when I had my red passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 02:59 AM
    I have 5 email accounts syncing and other apps too, it doesn't heat up that much.

As some said, give it a few days. If not, send in for check that hardware may be defect.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-29-16 05:15 AM
    So, last night, I was comparing speed and temp (feeling in the hand) of the passport with that of my Q10. Both have the same apps, both were browsing the same sites. In conclusion, the Q10 never got hot, and the passport did, excessively. The battery went down 6% on the Q10, while the passport 20%. I get it, larger screen, bigger processor, but the proportions similar when taking everything into account.

After the crude tests, I said that's it. It's going back. There should be no break-in period for a phone, and my Q10 shouldn't be faster, and cooler. So, I did a security wipe before bed. Now for the final nail in the coffin. I woke up this morning, approximately 7.5 hrs after starting the security wipe, to send back to blackberry, clean of my info, it hung on 96%. So, I held the power button down to shutdown. It restarted the wipe. Look at the progress after 2 hours of doing it again. 2 HOURS....

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 07:04 AM
    Cb10 not letting attach pic, but it's at ~60%.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 07:05 AM
    If you like the phone for what it is, exchange it for sure. Not everyone has these problems obviously (I'm knocking on this desk's fake wood ), and in this day of mass produced electronics, everybody unfortunately winds up with a dud sooner or later.
    05-29-16 07:36 AM
    I never noticed mine getting too hot, I agree about the brighter Q, A and Z keys, I had noticed that too when I first got the device, then I forgot everything about it till just now, lol.
    Overall it's a pretty good device in my opinion and it didn't give me many trouble....so far lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 08:14 AM
    I got my Passport SE first week of May and was pretty happy with it and the new experience. After a few days I noticed the top of the screen was just a little higher than the rest of the frame. Very noticeable when I would swipe down. Also noticed that the keys were brighter on the QAZ side than the other side and pretty dim in the middle. I was more concerned with screen lift than the key back light. I called ShopBlackberry.com (where I bought the phone from) and told them my problem and concern. They were very helpful. They had me take a pic of the screen where it was lifting and email it to them. Total, I was on the phone for an hour. Two days later I had a new phone with a evenly flat screen and a key pad that all the keys light up nice and bright. That was over two weeks ago. No problems. Everything works great and no screen or key light or over heating problems. I have to say I'm very pleased with the service I got and I love my phone. Hope the people that are having problems get them resolved and enjoy a great devise/phone.

Posted via CB10
    zocster and brookie229 like this.
    05-29-16 12:25 PM
29 12