I'm curious about this website and was wondering if others might like to crowd source money to purchase a used BB Passport for a trusted individual to work with and all those who contribute get the working ubuntu for free. Lets say a minimum donation of $20?

Here is the website; https://ubports.com/

And here is my first post there on the site; "I and many, many others own Blackberry Passports. Blackberry has probably dropped its own OS and is trying out Android on its future phones. Passport owners are extremely loyal to the phone and the BB10 OS. But will require a functional alternative for an OS in the future. Is it possible to get ubuntu on a Blackberry Passport or is it locked down too strongly by Blackberry?"

Obviously we'll need to qualify someone to work on the project and create a leader team to handle to finances. Create a bank account to hold any funds. A phone needs to be purchased and sent to a pre qualified and dedicated ubuntu/passport person. Also with a promise to pay that person or group a specific amount if they can complete the job of installing a fully functional and latest version of ubuntu mobile on a passport which could be downloaded with with details on how to install on your Passport.

If it can be determined by a qualified programmer that its possible to install on Passport but simply needs bugs worked out if the first step.
    04-29-16 08:27 AM
    No. It will not work. The passports will be locked out because it's not possible to root them.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    marshalayy likes this.
    04-29-16 08:30 AM
    I'm afraid The Commander is right, although it would be nice to see ubuntu on a BlackBerry 10 device, I highly doubt it will ever work

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 
    04-29-16 08:35 AM
    While the Passport should be mostly off the shelf hardware, there's no way to put anything other than BB10 onto it.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    04-29-16 08:35 AM
    No. It will not work. The passports will be locked out because it's not possible to root them.

Just asking, what is your technical background working with Passport / BB10OS that you can make that statement? There is excessive hear say in forums that is frequently passed around as truth.
    04-29-16 08:36 AM
    Just asking, what is your technical background working with Passport / BB10OS that you can make that statement? There is excessive hear say in forums that is frequently passed around as truth.
    You clearly have no idea how BB10 security works. It's bound to hardware as well, and we don't have the internal encryption key to unlock it
    By all means go ahead and fund it, but enjoy wasting money
    04-29-16 08:43 AM
    http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2015/0...-at-endpoints/
    04-29-16 08:43 AM
    You clearly have no idea how BB10 security works. It's bound to hardware as well, and we don't have the internal encryption key to unlock it
    By all means go ahead and fund it, but enjoy wasting money
    Your correct that I don't, but for a venture including money, I need more than someone's 'word' for advice, as I said no harm meant to anyone, but advice from non technicians isn't what I would be safe taking.
    04-29-16 08:50 AM
    While I understand that Blackberry encryption is locked into the hardware, would not be possible to change out the encrypted hardware to allow for another OS.

Always have wondered if it was feasible to essentially take a phone and do a custom upgraded. Would take someone with the right skills.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 09:12 AM
    This is never going to work. Not even Stephen Hawking, the Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Lord Krishna, and Ganondorf all put together could achieve what is being suggested here.

-There is more chance of me being crowned King of America tomorrow.

-There is more chance of a grizzly bear mating with a whale to produce a space faring unicorn.

Posted via CB10
    gamegurl and rippley5150 like this.
    04-29-16 09:40 AM
    That's one way to describe it.. lol

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 
    04-29-16 09:44 AM
    While I understand that Blackberry encryption is locked into the hardware, would not be possible to change out the encrypted hardware to allow for another OS.

Always have wondered if it was feasible to essentially take a phone and do a custom upgraded. Would take someone with the right skills.

Posted via CB10
    So rip out the guts of the Passport, put in the guts of a different phone and hope they'll work?
    04-29-16 09:51 AM
    Hmm...de ja vu PlayBook porting Android *quack quack*
    04-29-16 09:56 AM
    Lol. BlackBerry Hardware is encrypted same as BlackBerry software. U need to ask BlackBerry for the encryption key before u can put another OS on it. And I don't think BlackBerry will give it out to a common consumer. I don't mind anything if u want to waste money on an useless project.

04-29-16 10:12 AM
    What the FBI spent on hacking the iphone is what you will be spending on this project and more.
    Even then you may end up with a bricked useless phone.

You're better off swapping out the guts with other internals that could possibly work with the passport keyboard and form factor.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 10:38 AM
    Hey Mawil1013,

I think I found the solution.... here you go

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 11:11 AM
    And if I could really have what I wanted, I would go for a VKB Passport using BB's VKB running Sailfish or Ubuntu.
    04-29-16 01:19 PM
    It'll never, ever. Ever. Work. Ever. Forget about it.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 09:29 PM
    It'll never, ever. Ever. Work. Ever. Forget about it.

Posted via CB10
    My, my, such negativity from so many!
    I've never taken No Way as a valid answer, there's always a way!

OK, then what about another phone like the Z30 or Torch?
    04-30-16 06:52 AM

same thing still applies.....you need to find a dead horse to beat now
    04-30-16 08:25 AM
    Flogging the dead horse with a whip didn't work. What if we try a bat or a truncheon?

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 08:28 AM

Wow. U won't give up eh? U will never make it.

04-30-16 08:45 AM

About as possible as eating the sun with a spoon.
    04-30-16 09:30 AM
    I want to put marshmallow on my AT&T branded PRIV by using autoloader for unlocked device... on wait it's not possible...
    04-30-16 09:39 AM
    Assuming it would be possible, BB10 is already "there" in terms of usability, everything just mostly works and has been thought out, while Ubuntu, as much as I like it... For instance I think in the latest version it's finally possible to move the task bar or whatever it's called: why?? And yes, you can tinker with it, but I'd rather be doing stuff with these devices than tinkering with them... Of course there is a lot more going on app wise in Linux. Perhaps each camp should think of complementing each other better - native Blend if it doesn't exist and such.
    04-30-16 12:07 PM
36 12