Hello Community,

I'm using the most of the time my career Internet. So the question is, which Network Mode will be the right one for me?

3G
    3G-4G
    2G-3G-4G

I thought it will be ok just to leave it all the time on 3G so it will not search around and save me maybe also Battery Life?

The other Thing what I'm not sure about is, that I'm not sure if 4G is really faster because I didn't register any services like LTE / 4G. Or the Internet speed will still go up?

BlackBerry  Passport Silver Edition 
    04-26-16 03:23 PM
    Your network data speed will not go up just because your phone is 4G capable lol. Your phone has to actually be on 4G to get your 4G network's speeds.

Is 4G faster? That depends. Does your carrier have a mid to high frequency LTE network? Are a lot its customers in your area 4G phone owners (congestion?) Are you close enough to a tower? These are some factors that determine speeds.

If you know that your carrier's 4G network isn't that good yet, you might as well keep your phone on 3G for the battery life prolongation. 4G-3G-2G is really good for cycling between networks (like when you're going between areas of poor network coverage,) but this cycling really wrecks battery life.
    04-26-16 04:22 PM
    I suggest you try to find out the most stable network coverage in your area of activities. Be it 2G or 3G or 4G.
    Then you can select accordingly because unstable network coverage may cause battery drain in my experience.

-trackwheel-trackball-trackpad-keyboardtouch-
    raino likes this.
    04-26-16 04:38 PM
    Hello Community,

I'm using the most of the time my career Internet. So the question is, which Network Mode will be the right one for me?

3G
    3G-4G
    2G-3G-4G

I thought it will be ok just to leave it all the time on 3G so it will not search around and save me maybe also Battery Life?

The other Thing what I'm not sure about is, that I'm not sure if 4G is really faster because I didn't register any services like LTE / 4G. Or the Internet speed will still go up?

If you cannot register 4G - turn it off. you will save a lot of battery.
    I do have 4G coverage, but to be honest 3G speed is more than enough, even for HD video streams. So turn it off all the time.

however, if you can, you should have 2G and 3G ON (my operator does not support 2G).

2G will give you VOICE coverage (and even some emails etc) in places where 3G is not existing.
    04-27-16 04:36 AM
    Thank you very much guys for helping me out. I decided to go for 3G Permanent even when I'm very close all the time to a Tower. And the 3G internet speed is more then enough for me. Also to save my Battery Life

04-27-16 04:52 AM
    I hope that is the right decision?

BlackBerry  Passport Silver Edition  CB App
    05-08-16 02:09 PM
    yup. that's right.

you will not notice much difference between 3G (3G/H symbol) vs 4G on daily browsing
    05-08-16 02:59 PM
    There is not that much diffrent between this two?
    You mean in Speed or Battery Usage?

BlackBerry  Passport Silver Edition  CB App
    05-08-16 05:26 PM
    You can choose between 2G, 3G and 4G speeds in Networking options. In short:

2G/Edge. Browsing is almost impossible, you still might receive emails, voice/text is OK. Best for battery usage. If you are always under WiFi coverage - use this. will save battery.

3G basically are at two speeds:
    3G and HSDPA (aka 3.5 G, aka H as displayed at network type (and some stupid american operators call it 4G LOL). H is faster. But to be honest - both will load web page under 5 seconds I think. Normal battery usage. a bit higher than edge, but you can browse n stuff. Quite fast, few megs/sec.

4G is 4G/LTE depending on the way operator names it. Fastest, up to massive 300 mbps (theoretical, never achievable ). Sucks battery as free...

Now it's for you to decide - is it really big thing to be able to open webpage in 3 secs instead of 5?

In long from the Giff Gaff website:

LTE - Long Term Evolution (4G*)

LTE provides the fastest data network connection at the present time, in theory offering speeds of up to 100 Mb/s. LTE is faster than many home broadband connections, and as such allows for rapid downloads, streaming of Full HD videos or music, and very rapid page loads. giffgaff is currently preparing to upgrade its network to LTE, but for now you won't be seeing this icon on your phone.

*LTE is confusingly often associated with the term 4G. In reality, the 4G standard is one that hasn't quite been reached yet - that would require speeds of 1 Gb/s, about ten times faster than current LTE networks. The proliferation of the term is unfortunate, but until true 4G networks are available then you can just take the two terms to be synonymous in practice.

H+ - HSDPA Plus

HSDPA Plus is the fastest data network currently supported by giffgaff, at around 21 Mb/s. In many versions of Android "H+" is shown, but on Android 4.4 it is just displayed as "H". H+ allows you to easily stream HD videos and is comparable to the average home broadband connection.

H - HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access)

HSDPA is a slightly slower version of HSDPA+, offering data speeds of around 7.2 Mb/s. This is about the minimum speed for reliably streaming video content at HD resolution, and still offers pretty good web surfing and music streaming.

3G - 3rd Generation (aka UMTS)

3G data networks were the first to support video calling, with download speeds of up to 2 Mb/s (although initially speeds of only 384 Kb/s were supported). It was at this stage that mobile internet got decent, and we saw an explosion of new capabilities for mobile phones in the early 2000s (like email, vis a vis BlackBerry).

E - EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution)

EDGE can be thought of as 2.75G, offering speeds of up to 384 kb/s. EDGE was developed as a cheap way for carriers to upgrade their 2G networks to nearly 3G speeds, without needing to build all-new infrastructure. EDGE is relatively uncommon in the UK, but you do get it from time to time and it's generally enough to look something up if you have the patience. Interestingly, this means that EDGE came after 3G even though it's a slower standard.

G - GPRS (General Packet Radio Service)

GPRS is a little faster than the earlier GSM standard which first popularised data connections. For that reason, GPRS is called 2.5G - an improvement on 2G, but not quite big enough to require a new number. Data speeds are around 115 kb/s, which is enough to load a simple webpage or maybe your train timetable (if you have a consistent connection and some patience).

This was the first "always-on" data service, and the oldest one that you'll connect to using an Android, iOS or Windows Phone. While older networks exist, you aren't likely to come across them these days and it's best left for the historically minded.

In Summary

Symbol Name Generation Download Speeds
    G GPRS 2G 0.1 Mb/s
    E EDGE 2.5G 0.4 Mb/s
    3G 3G 3G 2 Mb/s
    H HSDPA 3.5G 7.2 Mb/s
    H+ HSDPA+ 3.75G 21 Mb/s
    LTE LTE / 4G 4G 100 Mb/s
    05-10-16 05:13 AM
    05-10-16 05:17 AM
    For me I use 4G for my BlackBerry Classic

Posted via CB10