I find it odd that some would look at the passport screen and say that it is an odd shape . Why is it that after years of being an iphone and android user using those narrow shaped phones that the passport screen size and shape looks and feels more normal? I went on my older iphone to see if I could find a contact and right away it felt odd . I almost can't believe I used those phones without going crazy. I can never go back now. I have no doubt that if apple came out with the passport type phone it would be praised as the most innovative smartphone ever and a new era for the smartphone users.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 12:57 PM
    Those "narrow" shaped phones were around long before the iPhone or Android existed. Just as Square devices with keyboards (Palm, Pocket PC) were here long before there was a BlackBerry.

There has always been a balancing act between the display and being able to interact with a device (keyboard). If it works for you, that is all that is important.
    SharonRD and jmr1015 like this.
    10-31-14 01:11 PM
    Normalcy is a product of historical experience
    vanrickman likes this.
    10-31-14 01:16 PM
    Those "narrow" shaped phones were around long before the iPhone or Android existed. Just as Square devices with keyboards (Palm, Pocket PC) were here long before there was a BlackBerry.

There has always been a balancing act between the display and being able to interact with a device (keyboard). If it works for you, that is all that is important.
    Yep.
    10-31-14 01:18 PM

I'm not even a keyboard guy(still getting used to keyboard) never seen a square phone before the passport came out. Had iphones and android narrow like phones and this passport is a fresh idea or maybe an improvement to an old idea. All I know is I returned my narrow iphone6 for the passport. The screen shape and size was a brilliant idea. Plus the build quality is really impressive. I can't believe it's a blackberry

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 03:39 PM
    I find it easier to read when the width of the screen is wider.. I guess your eyes don't have to scroll so often.
    10-31-14 03:42 PM
    Narrow has its advantages, more obvious one being easy to use with 1 hand. Also mobile websites are optimized for narrow phones. One can argue that Passport is supposed to be for desktop websites but really, it is impractical to zoom in all the time to touch a link. Not only that, high resolution phones from 5.2 to 5.5 inch phones with a resolution of 1080p or greater can actually fit a desktop website well. In fact, you can see more than the passport with a high ppi "narrow" phone.

Moto X 4.7 inch 720p screen vs Passport for browsing. I am not completely convinced the Passport is better for browsing the web. Seeing how most android flagships these days are 5.2 inch 1080p+, they could most definitely argue they could see a desktop website well on their supposedly narrow phone. This is just one website example.

Mobile.

I can see more text on the Moto X
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-screenshot_2014-10-31-14-16-24.png
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-img_20141031_141615.jpg

Desktop.

A 720p screen is not good enough to see text clearly on desktop but you can see, a tall screen allows more content. Again, I mentioned that flagship devices these days are bigger and have a higher resolution than my android phone and since the Passport is a flagship device, it will be compared against those flagship devices. Also consider that on the passport, I cannot zoom out to see more height. I think the argument here for the Passport is more comfortable viewing because the text is bigger despite less vertical content though I'm not sure how (un)comfortable it would be to view on a narrow screen of equal PPI to the Passport.

Narrow shaped phones are odd-screenshot_2014-10-31-14-17-48.png
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-img_20141031_141756.jpg

However, there is no doubt that the Passport will always show more than a narrow phone in landscape mode.
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-screenshot_2014-10-31-14-36-31.png

If someone could post a screenshot of gsmarena.com on their 1080p android phone that would be great.

Also, BlackBerry please have the option to auto hide for the address bar on the Passport like the Q10
    Last edited by StutterStep; 10-31-14 at 04:52 PM.
    10-31-14 04:27 PM
    Completely agree with OP. Picked up my old Z10 and it felt so small. Love the width.

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    10-31-14 08:02 PM

Mobile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-31-14-16-24.png 
Views:	2159 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	311050

Name:	IMG_20141031_141615.jpg 
Views:	2152 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	311051

Can you redo this comparison with both phones having the same text size?

Also, here is why I prefer the PP display over the Z10.

Same email, same attachment

Last edited by sandman10; 10-31-14 at 08:52 PM.
    10-31-14 08:24 PM

As a quick reference, BlackBerry was around during the days of the palm pilot and pocket PC. The first one I saw looked like an SMS text pager. One row of display LED, and an odd set of qwerty keys. I had day planners and organizers when they were 64K and 128K before my palm III/IBM labled clone. Rudimentary sync - Hotsync. 16x9 was a ****ty display when it was introduced on PC's and they cut the 4:3 video to get to 16:9. And it is more restrictive on mobile devices. Love the big square display; it is exactly what I needed when I looked to replace my Bold 9900 (chose the Z10 and BB10 over iPhone and Android). When I chose the Bold, I did so agaist all the others, Windows CE, iPhone, Palm Treo, HP whatever it was (Windows CE)... And I do still love my Z30!

Rockin a Passport with my Awesome Z30! Two great devices are better than 1!
    10-31-14 09:03 PM
    And I really don't need a top heavy long phone just to get the width I like.

Rockin a Passport with my Awesome Z30! Two great devices are better than 1!
    anon(5981295) likes this.
    10-31-14 09:04 PM
    I agree. I went into my Z10 to get a note, and it felt soooo small and narrow. The virtual keyboard also felt very small and cramped. I could never imagine using that form factor again. The Passport really has grown on me.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:07 PM
    And I'm sure if BlackBerry comes up with a Triangular shaped phone then a new thread like this will pop up . . .
    myrrhmademan likes this.
    10-31-14 09:14 PM
    If apple came up with a triangular phone the world would jump at it as it would be revolutionary.

10-31-14 09:18 PM
    I find it odd that some would look at the passport screen and say that it is an odd shape . Why is it that after years of being an iphone and android user using those narrow shaped phones that the passport screen size and shape looks and feels more normal? I went on my older iphone to see if I could find a contact and right away it felt odd . I almost can't believe I used those phones without going crazy. I can never go back now. I have no doubt that if apple came out with the passport type phone it would be praised as the most innovative smartphone ever and a new era for the smartphone users.

Posted via CB10
    Have to agree with the OP on one thing. If apple was the one to release the passport it would sell as well as the latest iphone. It would be the greatest invention since sliced bread...until the following year when they change its color and add a button.

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    10-31-14 09:49 PM
    If apple came up with a triangular phone the world would jump at it as it would be revolutionary.

Have to agree with the OP on one thing. If apple was the one to release the passport it would sell as well as the latest iphone. It would be the greatest invention since sliced bread...until the following year when they change its color and add a button.

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    Nah. This implies everything Apple does is successful, which is far from the truth.

Now, if square devices somehow caught on, I have no doubt Apple would jump on it, as any adaptable company should.

I doubt it, but I've been wrong before.
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    10-31-14 11:02 PM
    I find now whenever I see an iPhone 5 or especially a 4 I can't help but be in shock and awe over how small and out of date they look. The Passport has completely changed myy perspective on what a phone is.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 11:06 PM
    Can you redo this comparison with both phones having the same text size?
    I forgot I had my text scaling in Chrome set to 85%

Considering how the status bar is not there on BB10, this is not bad at all.

100% text scaling
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-screenshot_2014-10-31-19-02-42.png
    120% text scaling
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-screenshot_2014-10-31-19-03-56.png
    130% text scaling
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-screenshot_2014-10-31-21-20-13.png

How mobile site isn't optimized for the Passport. Also the BB10 browser does not have text scaling; it should be a feature in the future.
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-img_20141031_141615a.jpg

You did not zoom out of the Z10 spreadsheet. It's not that bad. This is a better comparison, keep in mind I was viewing it on my devices. The text sizes are comparable when viewed on their respective devices.
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-z10spreadsheet.png
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-img_20141031_211359.jpg

You will basically get about 2-3 columns more viewing on the Passport.
    10-31-14 11:16 PM
    Narrow has its advantages, more obvious one being easy to use with 1 hand. Also mobile websites are optimized for narrow phones. One can argue that Passport is supposed to be for desktop websites but really, it is impractical to zoom in all the time to touch a link. Not only that, high resolution phones from 5.2 to 5.5 inch phones with a resolution of 1080p or greater can actually fit a desktop website well. In fact, you can see more than the passport with a high ppi "narrow" phone.

Moto X 4.7 inch 720p screen vs Passport for browsing. I am not completely convinced the Passport is better for browsing the web. Seeing how most android flagships these days are 5.2 inch 1080p+, they could most definitely argue they could see a desktop website well on their supposedly narrow phone. This is just one website example.

Mobile.

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-31-14-16-24.png 
Views:	2159 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	311050

Name:	IMG_20141031_141615.jpg 
Views:	2152 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	311051

Desktop.

A 720p screen is not good enough to see text clearly on desktop but you can see, a tall screen allows more content. Again, I mentioned that flagship devices these days are bigger and have a higher resolution than my android phone and since the Passport is a flagship device, it will be compared against those flagship devices. Also consider that on the passport, I cannot zoom out to see more height. I think the argument here for the Passport is more comfortable viewing because the text is bigger despite less vertical content though I'm not sure how (un)comfortable it would be to view on a narrow screen of equal PPI to the Passport.

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-31-14-17-48.png 
Views:	1324 
Size:	734.0 KB 
ID:	311052

Name:	IMG_20141031_141756.jpg 
Views:	1320 
Size:	252.5 KB 
ID:	311053

However, there is no doubt that the Passport will always show more than a narrow phone in landscape mode.

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-31-14-36-31.png 
Views:	1304 
Size:	669.1 KB 
ID:	311055

If someone could post a screenshot of gsmarena.com on their 1080p android phone that would be great.

Also, BlackBerry please have the option to auto hide for the address bar on the Passport like the Q10
    The 'more text' translates to the number of characters in a row that can be read at an optimal size and space setting thereby not having to read through an all cramped up space. I guess having to shift your gaze every five words later can't be more comfortable than doing it after every 10 words. It's not about the number of rows of the text. And that's where -- and how -- Passport provides a better reading and content viewing experience. And it's true against all bar phones: I pick the Z10, Nexus 5, or the Moto One in my house and right away feel the difference in how much 'more' Passport offers in terms of reading/viewing experience. I guess it's like reading from a very narrow but very tall book as opposed to reading from a more proportionately-sized book - width wise. Same thing goes for web pages: no matter the number of lines displayed, it's not really an advantage if every line becomes too cramped up to read comfortably.

This also translates to other stuff like being able to view photos, on fb or wherever, that size up as full 4.5" square photos. Just feels so right compared to the bar phones. Had a friend browsing pics on his iPhone and he was the same pic on my Passport and was completely blown away by the difference in viewing experience. And this happens with me every time I return to one of those bar phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:31 AM
    Why don't you ask current Z30 and Z10 users what they think of narrow phones. It's obvious they didn't buy the Passport for several reasons, one of which I'm sure is due to the width of the screen.
    11-01-14 01:18 AM
    Have to agree with previous posters. I gave my z10 to my mother in law, and the other day was setting something up for her and it felt so small I'd only had the passport a few days, and already I was a screen snob. Seriously though, the first thing all my android/iphone running colleagues say is "wow, what an awesome screen". I love that I can view desktop sites without zooming in. Impossible on the z10.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:29 AM
    ....I guess having to shift your gaze every five words later can't be more comfortable than doing it after every 10 words....
    Posted via CB10
    Exactly what I thought when I started reading the two compared screen shots.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:15 AM
    Narrow shaped phones are odd-img_20141101_075449.png

With my passport, everything on this page is readable and sized correctly right at the start so there is no zooming or anything required.. just load and go.. thats what i wanted from the passport when i bought it, no more zooming

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    11-01-14 06:56 AM
    There is no going back from the Passport, I guess ...
    11-01-14 07:03 AM
    I literally get annoyed when I even just boot up my z10 or even the z30.
    A few weeks ago I still thought it was relatively large. Feels tiny now and such a joke after using the port for a while. It's literally impossible for me to back to a "regular" sized phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:19 AM
28 12