Hi, I have read a lot of reviews on the passport; some of which were quite off the mark when assessing the machine. I am using a Q10 in parallel and I thought to give you my view for those of you who are pondering whether to make the switch.

Overall: a solid phone, well built with high quality materials. Its size is not for everyone and can, depending on what you're doing in the course of the day, be awkward at times. The screen is a joy and often compensates for the awkwardness but not sure if I need that size all the time. Battery life is excellent lasting a day and a half without a sweat. The camera is disappointing; it has 13mp but the autofocus is slow - when you do manage a shot it comes out beautifully in day light but is almost a different camera by night with poor quality shots in any setting (flash included). The keyboard takes some adapting to but is very good overall; the one let down is the number digits - there position on screen is not very intuitive so it takes away from the otherwise seamless on screen keys. The overall speed of the device is amazing; very fast with no lags and all too evident when navigating between apps and the Hub. The browser is also very quick.

Final verdict: it may end up being my first choice device but I have to be honest I still have one eye on the upcoming release of the Classic.
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-05-14 05:53 AM
    Thx for your review. I'm personally not sure if I'm interested in the classic at all, but to each is own. The passport is currently my daily driver and I have my eye out for the next all touch device
    11-05-14 07:24 AM
    I agree with pretty much all you've said, after using the Passport for over a month now. Except for the part about waiting for the Classic, which I'm not.

The camera focus is better on the 10.3.1.1016 leak I'm using. Low light performance is still poor, although I have better luck using night mode with no flash. In fact, I find that flash pretty much never gives better results. If there's not enough light to shoot without flash, using flash is going to give me a hideous picture anyway. HDR mode is seldom worthwhile, in my opinion, unless I'm able to brace the phone to eliminate any movement. Time Shift, on the other hand, works really well.

I agree about the number keys, although it didn't take me that long to learn their positions and adapt. The thing that took me the longest adjustment period was flicking predicted words using the keyboard, especially with my left thumb. By now, it's not a problem anymore.

Also, in comparison with the Q10, my thumb position for typing has to be slightly different, to avoid accidentally hitting punctuation marks on the virtual keyboard row. This wasn't a risk on the Q10, but it is on the Passport.
    11-05-14 07:30 AM
    The Passport rocks!

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    11-05-14 07:30 AM
    Re: the camera, agree with you completely on the autofocus. I think BB10 still needs a large amount of optimising with the Passport hardware.

Really like the Passport overall as well, but still finding it more awkward to use on the move. It's the necessary tradeoff for what you get though, and so far I think the benefits probably just about outweigh the drawbacks. Definitely each to their own though.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 07:34 AM
    I also agree with what you said almost one week I love the passport. As much as I love my Z30 the passport my first choice. The keyboard takes some time to get used to but once you do it's great.
    Pros
    Touch sensitive keyboard
    Battery life
    Speakers
    32GB internal memory
    Speed
    Keyboard shortcuts
    Sound quality
    Screen size

Cons
    Slimport requires hard to find adapters
    Nano sim requires adapter to switch between my other BlackBerry 10's
    Camera needs work
    As good as it works, a traditional BlackBerry keyboard with the touch sensitive feature would make this phone perfect

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 06:58 PM