?Dear Sir or Madam,

You are making a huge marketing mistake by not applying captions to ?your videos.�
    ?
    I am deaf. Myself and many of my deaf acquaintances have used BlackBerry phones scince they first hit the market (for me 2003) because their ability to communicate via text, be it email or sms or BBM, was far superior to anything else offered.�
    ?
    Today I received as email offering tips for using features available my recently purchased Passport. The problem is these are offered in a video with no captions for the hearing impaired. How am I or any other deaf person supposed to learn ?or take advantage of these?

Many of my deaf friends still use their old OS 7 devices due to the superior BlackBerry qwerty board. We are devout BlackBerry customers yet feel ignored? by slights such as a failure to ad captions to video.�

You are essentially dismissing a small but loyal customer base doing this. Bad marketing. Yes, you could fall back on costs or "other phone makers don't" type of excuses (pardon the pun), but what makes BlackBerry different is you do not do that. Take the example of the device I am using to type this email - the Passport. Nothing like it exists out there!

I hope you will take my concerns seriously and not as just a ranting crazy deaf person (though I may be that a lot of the time).�

Thank you for your time and consideration of my concerns.�

Getting off my soapbox now.

Peter G. Johnson ?

Posted via CB10
    pituCaleya and geekaren like this.
    12-12-14 03:24 PM
    Rant or essay lol
    12-12-14 03:29 PM
    Fair point!

It was just the irony of them sending videos to 'help' me with out captions.

You Tube and Vimeo are also pretty useless.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 03:38 PM
    ?Dear Sir or Madam,

You are making a huge marketing mistake by not applying captions to ?your videos.�
    ?
    I am deaf. Myself and many of my deaf acquaintances have used BlackBerry phones scince they first hit the market (for me 2003) because their ability to communicate via text, be it email or sms or BBM, was far superior to anything else offered.�
    ?
    Today I received as email offering tips for using features available my recently purchased Passport. The problem is these are offered in a video with no captions for the hearing impaired. How am I or any other deaf person supposed to learn ?or take advantage of these?

Many of my deaf friends still use their old OS 7 devices due to the superior BlackBerry qwerty board. We are devout BlackBerry customers yet feel ignored? by slights such as a failure to ad captions to video.�

You are essentially dismissing a small but loyal customer base doing this. Bad marketing. Yes, you could fall back on costs or "other phone makers don't" type of excuses (pardon the pun), but what makes BlackBerry different is you do not do that. Take the example of the device I am using to type this email - the Passport. Nothing like it exists out there!

I hope you will take my concerns seriously and not as just a ranting crazy deaf person (though I may be that a lot of the time).�

Peter G. Johnson ?

Posted via CB10
    Did you tweet Micheal Clewley abou this, I think you're making a valid point here.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 04:42 PM
    Thanks, but the truth is I'm too tired of making the point. Been doing so for so long. Too often it falls on the deaf ears of corporation execs if it gets there at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 05:16 PM
    Unfortunate situation. I did notice a lot of video content does not have captions, not just BlackBerry. They really need to do a better job ensuring accessibility of content.
    12-12-14 06:19 PM
    Is it possible to get Youtube captions on any mobile device? I've noticed it on the laptop Youtube site there are buttons to turn in captions... never on mobile though.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 08:00 PM
    And how is it that the YouTube android app still does not work on 10.3.1? How does Netflix and other stuff work fine and YT crashes right away..

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 08:20 PM
    ?Dear Sir or Madam,

?
    ?

Peter G. Johnson ?

Posted via CB10
    I would suggest to make a you tube video and post it. Saying this to BlackBerry. So it would get more attention.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 08:32 PM
    Youtube video, direct email, nothing will work or get through to them. (unfortunately, because you do have a valid point here as do all other posters regarding blackberry devices and features)

It is this very lack of attention to details, and having that client-centric approach to business is what is lacking. They can run focus groups galore, and all that does is tell you what a few bozos think and agree on. They need to reach out, speak with carriers, ask what clients and customers say about their products and how they can implement future endeavors to serve the general blackberry fan base. Not just doctors or whatever they are claiming to be focused on now (this is all because healthcare has been a rising industry for the past 5 years or so outperforming every sector) great approach blackberry.

Chen, you don't need brains on your team, crunching numbers and going after that niche market and saying we don't have to beat apple or android. Why not? who says you can't? was "RIM" at the time, not the number one smartphone device manufacturer. Nothing is impossible, we need to take back what was once ours.

Tips - find innovators not MBAs / hire salesman not accountants / you don't need consultants which charge exuberant costs, you need to just LISTEN.

enough with this blackberry is for a specific group of people and that what their after, blah blah blah BS. Im a professional, I'm in that "niche" I love blackberry , yes that is true. But we have a world of opportunities out there, many many devices still basic phones just waitinggggg to upgrade. if you can't arrange a selling agreement between every major carrier US and abroad to have simultaneous release dates, than your doomed, As a shareholder, i say that regretfully of course, but if that simple minute extremely important aspect of business cannot be accomplished. How are you going to sell a blackberry to a basic phone upgrader, who hasn't even heard the word blackberry in 6 years??

do yourself a favor, you might as well just hire me so i can bring the value to not only your corporation, but more importantly your future prospective customers.

Stay On Top | Knowledge is Power. Information is Liberating
    12-12-14 08:49 PM
    Chen also said that any device made for the business people will also be available for the crowd like us.

Now I have never thought that deaf people were using a smart phone.
    They are deaf but not blind.

Now here in Canada someone just opened a restaurant-bar and all the employees are deaf.

Probably there is some deaf people that run some business and we never hear about it.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 09:11 PM