Well, it turns out my device isn't as solid as I though. My screen is splitting and lifting on the lower left corner. Being that this has been reported several times already by different people in totally unrelated areas, I think we may have a larger issue on our hands. My device was fine for several weeks and all of a sudden today I noticed that the screen appears to be ever so slightly elevated. I tried to push it down just to see what happens and I noticed it was "breathing". It popped back up in 30 seconds or less and there is a distinct gap forming between the lower left corner of the screen and the side edge.

I'm very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

For all nay-sayers, I'll be posting pictures later today. I'm hoping that my DSLR will allow me to do a good closeup that I can crop and post.

This is really a huge bummer.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 04:22 PM
    No one is doubting you.
    If your Passport is defective, just RMA it. It is definitely a PITA. As with anything, there is going to be some small fraction that will have defects in workmanship.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    10-22-14 04:49 PM
    Man I'm so scared mine will end up like that! Had this phone for a few weeks now and so far it's solid. Hopefully it is just a small number of devices

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:09 PM
    I wonder if this could be caused by the battery slightly swelling up when they are being charged. Had that happen with a kindle e book reader once popped a corner of the kindle out. I popped it back in later with out any problem

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:12 PM
    Mine three weeks in and getting stronger. I guess some isolated issues will always exist. I bet 1/1000 are probably defective. But that would make sense. 999 will see no issues. That's life.

Posted via the Blackberry Passport
    10-22-14 05:14 PM
    I am thinking it's happening in people's pants pockets because of the fact that there are very limited cases and absolutely no authentic holsters available

Blackberry Passport on the TELUS network
    10-22-14 05:19 PM
    There are some QC issues with these phones though for sure. I'm not just saying that for ****s and giggles. The first Passport I bought from Telus had to be RMAd because the "O" key was defective. The replacement was fine. Third Passport I bought is this one, and now it has a screen defect. I also bought two more from Shop BlackBerry and one came defective with the screen detached at the top and the "A" key sticking. The fifth one has issues with the notification LED bleeding through the top of the screen.

Out of 5 devices, bought at random times, different places, 2 were DOA, and 2 have known defects, one being a large one, the screen. Only 1 out of the 5 seemed flawless.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:24 PM
    I am thinking it's happening in people's pants pockets because of the fact that there are very limited cases and absolutely no authentic holsters available

Blackberry Passport on the TELUS network
    No sorry. I don't carry mine in a pants' pocket. I have my phone either out on my desk, or in my suit jacket pocket.

Fun fact, last time I had this many issues with BlackBerry devices was the original Torch 9800. I had to exchange 5 units in a row. In that case they were also made in Mexico 6. The last one that worked properly was made in Mexico 3. Unfortunately, if it is factory related, all Passports are made in Mexico 6.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:26 PM
    Weird, up in Canada almost half the people I deal with in business use a BlackBerry and not one person I know has had any physical issue with a BlackBerry phone. And we are talking 1000s of people with different BlackBerry device over the last 10 years. And this phone is probably the best of the bunch and I am being very honest with that claim.

10-22-14 05:36 PM
    Sorry it happened to your passport. Happened to mine too, still waiting on the refund. I feel your disappointment.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:39 PM
    There are some QC issues with these phones though for sure. I'm not just saying that for ****s and giggles. The first Passport I bought from Telus had to be RMAd because the "O" key was defective. The replacement was fine. Third Passport I bought is this one, and now it has a screen defect. I also bought two more from Shop BlackBerry and one came defective with the screen detached at the top and the "A" key sticking. The fifth one has issues with the notification LED bleeding through the top of the screen.

Out of 5 devices, bought at random times, different places, 2 were DOA, and 2 have known defects, one being a large one, the screen. Only 1 out of the 5 seemed flawless.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, you're just the luckiest person around.

Two Passports here without any issues.

As for the screen lifting up. Seems like it has to do with the adhesive with which the screen is mounted down. I wonder if it has anything to do with the consistent heat when the device is kept in a pants pocket all day long. I only sparingly put it in my pocket, but mostly sits on a desk, car console, kitchen surfaces, etc.

Mine is just solid,.. lucky I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:39 PM
    These quality control issues are pretty concerning. I'm sorry this happened to your Passport, OP. It really is quite disappointing.

This reminds me of when I had the Torch 9800. I experienced a somewhat similar issue with the tool belt button panel peeling off and needed to get mine replaced.
    mikeycollins13 likes this.
    10-22-14 05:43 PM
    Wow, you're just the luckiest person around.

Two Passports here without any issues.

As for the screen lifting up. Seems like it has to do with the adhesive with which the screen is mounted down. I wonder if it has anything to do with the consistent heat when the device is kept in a pants pocket all day long. I only sparingly put it in my pocket, but mostly sits on a desk, car console, kitchen surfaces, etc.

Mine is just solid,.. lucky I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    Mine *was* solid, until today. I too either have the Passport on my desk or in my hands. Never in pants. Sometimes in suit jacket. I also don't put it anywhere near a heat source, and I don't even play games that could cause intensive heat. The phone is never warm either.

I think that the adhesive is too weak for the structural rigidity of the phone and the wide glass slab.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-22-14 05:44 PM
    Doesn't bend like another phone we all know does. Hahaha

Well, to be a pragmatist for second, at least bending your iPhone is preventable. Screen lifting, not so much.

I'm only pissed off because this honestly is my favorite BlackBerry ever. Even my wife got one after she tried mine, and now there is a very real chance hers' will have the same issue over time. If it is weak adhesive, then no device is immune. It's just a matter of time.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:49 PM
    Guys have had dev devices for 6 months with no issues. Stop your bantering and get over it. The phone is more solid and better built than almost all phones on the market and isheep look for any excuse. No such luck with this phone. Maybe you guys got those knock of Mexican ones that are made in the plant beside the real one.

Maybe I did. Maybe there are two Mexico 6s, one real one and one "alternate". Doesn't change the facts. 10 years with BlackBerry as the primary device, and their comeback device that I love, well it's a dud. That makes me very unhappy.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:52 PM
    OP claims while possible seems very unlikely. I don't have time right now but I have to go through his posts to see if there is a negative bias towards BlackBerry. I find it really odd how many people claim to be fans and yet have nothing positive to say. This is just my short term observation on CB and I always question the source and not ment to offend anyone.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:57 PM
    Bit worrying that a few Passport owners are having this issue. So far mine is solid, no lifting of the screen but if it's the adhesive that's coming undone then it could happen to any Passport.

Touch wood I don't ever have this issue, would suck if it happened after the warranty period expired...thank god for a 2yr warranty.

Posted via CB10
    gpompeus likes this.
    10-22-14 05:57 PM
    Dud for you. For me a dream come true. Sorry but true. I know many others happy as well. I suggest you get busy getting a new one or switch phones. Even BMW owners are unhappy sometimes. You need to decide what you want to do. Just realize only a very small percentage of any device in the world will come out with issues. Have a look at the iphone. That is a serious issue and they have not resolved.

jc99 likes this.
    10-22-14 05:58 PM
    OP claims while possible seems very unlikely. I don't have time right now but I have to go through his posts to see if there is a negative bias towards BlackBerry. I find it really odd how many people claim to be fans and yet have nothing positive to say. This is just my short term observation on CB and I always question the source and not ment to offend anyone.

Posted via CB10
    He isn't the only one who has or had this issue...a few others too. So let's not get too carried away with the OP and start doubting him.

He isn't my favourite poster, alot of the stuff he has said in the past I didn't agree with. But as I said he isn't the only one who has mentioned this issue.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    10-22-14 05:59 PM
    What's with all the ********? The phone comes with a warranty, use it. Some people cry as though there is no warranty on it. Yeah, it sucks, but it happens with everything.
    10-22-14 06:01 PM
    It's actually a pita to go through warranty etc. I'm a huge bb fan and even I'm disappointed with the phone. DOA on Oct 10. Still waiting for my replacement from Rogers and was just told today that it was backordered. They're estimating another 15 days. I'm TRYING to cancel the order now but we'll see.

When you invest a chunk of your money on a device, you expect it to work. I've been seeing a lot of these kinds of posts and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for their next flagship device Q10 is still holding up strong though.
    10-22-14 06:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Funny that you say that. I'll make your life simpler.

I'm device agnostic, generally speaking, and have used every platform except Windows Mobile. I like the simplicity of iOS and the fact that it supports virtually everything and anything out there. Android is great for tinkering, but the OS is beyond atrocious. BlackBerry is a workhorse. For communication, which I do the most of, it's unrivaled. None of the other platforms come even close. No platform is perfect, but for 75% of what I do, which is content creation, BlackBerry is the clear winner. I also like the security. For fun, BlackBerry definitely sucks. But again, that's my opinion. The Passport has actually been pretty good for fun too, with the better integration of Android apps.

Before 2009 it was the only choice. iPhone was nothing at that time. After the release of iPhone 4 things changed. Today, there are definitely viable alternatives to BlackBerry for certain use cases. Nevertheless, I still carry a BlackBerry as a primary device. At the moment I also have an LG G2 that I use for certain tasks only that the BlackBerry cannot do, like interfacing to my DSLR.

Now, back on topic of my screen and Passport QC issues.

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-22-14 07:33 PM
    Most of these posts start with 'My BlackBerry is bad' Then followed by another claim that 'my previous BlackBerry is also bad'. Unless it's substantiated by pictures and data, we don't need any more of these.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 07:37 PM
    Most of these posts start with 'My BlackBerry is bad' Then followed by another claim that 'my previous BlackBerry is also bad'. Unless it's substantiated by pictures and data, we don't need any more of these.

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry. I'm leaving my office in about 15 minutes. By 8pm tonight you'll have pictures. I might even give you a smile.
    10-22-14 07:39 PM
    Dud for you. For me a dream come true. Sorry but true. I know many others happy as well. I suggest you get busy getting a new one or switch phones. Even BMW owners are unhappy sometimes. You need to decide what you want to do. Just realize only a very small percentage of any device in the world will come out with issues. Have a look at the iphone. That is a serious issue and they have not resolved.

God dammit dude, not again.
    10-22-14 07:42 PM
424 123 ...